Author Topic: V mentioned in SF Examiner  (Read 3410 times)

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
V mentioned in SF Examiner
« on: August 09, 2004, 06:17:02 pm »
article

Part about Vanessa:

Bribing the vote

Vanessa Carlton apparently wants George W. Bush out of the White House. The singer posted a message on her official Web site urging her young fans to register to vote and to support John Kerry in his bid for the presidency. She wrote: "If you all vote Kerry, I'll give you invisible cheek kisses."
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Emmyspiano

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EmilyRMiller89
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/imaginationplayground
    • Email
..hmm
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 06:25:16 pm »
I hope people dont start hatin
And if you don't believe me just put your hands on me
I see the dalai lama, I feel him blessing me

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
Re: ..hmm
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 08:11:21 pm »
Quote from: "Emmyspiano"
I hope people dont start hatin

yeah right like she won't get backlash like the Dixie Chicks. It probably won't be as extreme since her audience is less political for the most part. She's also not as well known (not counting us NESSAholics) despite the popularity of ATM.

nessaRox

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • MSN Messenger - rajiv2612@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rajiv_united
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 12:00:02 am »
Michelle Branch too was supporting Kerry,wasnt she?

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 01:22:15 am »
I think people who have the power to change people's minds about things should use it- her primary message was to register to vote, which is the best message of all. Also, its not like the majority of people here can actually register anyway.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 03:07:44 am »
It's not the end of the world, but I thought it was pretty irresponsible.

I think musicians/entertainers should keep their political opinions to themselves unless they really know their stuff and are prepared to support their opinion when they voice it. I.E. actually "change people's minds", rather than lead them blindly into something (intentionally or not).

Hopefully every fan old enough to vote will inform themselves and make their own choice rather than voting for whoever their favourite musician asked them to. Yes, I know that's a niave hope.

-Kev

Edit: FTR, I think it's a good idea for any artist to use their position to encourage voting in general. Just not specifically one party/candidate.

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 05:12:41 am »
word^^^
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 08:11:29 am »
Well said (typed...) Kev!
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Emmyspiano

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EmilyRMiller89
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/imaginationplayground
    • Email
*claps*
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 08:57:29 am »
Well said! :-)
And if you don't believe me just put your hands on me
I see the dalai lama, I feel him blessing me

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 10:39:48 am »
Quote from: "kev222"
It's not the end of the world, but I thought it was pretty irresponsible.

I think musicians/entertainers should keep their political opinions to themselves unless they really know their stuff and are prepared to support their opinion when they voice it. I.E. actually "change people's minds", rather than lead them blindly into something (intentionally or not).

Hopefully every fan old enough to vote will inform themselves and make their own choice rather than voting for whoever their favourite musician asked them to. Yes, I know that's a niave hope.

-Kev

Edit: FTR, I think it's a good idea for any artist to use their position to encourage voting in general. Just not specifically one party/candidate.

Very true Kev. I would hope that since the voting age is 18 people are mature enough to vote for who they want no matter how much they love the person who is supporting them. I think that when entertainer supports someone people who haven't ever really paid attention to politics will go ahead and register and hopefully make a their own decision. Not to get anything started but even if she supported Bush I wouldn't vote for him. I can make my own decision, thanks.

Also I would hope that just as we support Vanessa and believe in her and promote her music, she supports Kerry that way therefore she is endorsing him.

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 12:55:02 pm »
Intelligent people will vote for who they want regardless and those who would vote for someone just because their favorite artist is voting for them shouldn't be voting in the first place if they're that vacuous.

That being said, I don't feel it's in any way irresponsible for any artist to publicly endorse any politician. She's a person and has every right to endorse whoever she wants. Just because she's a public figure and might have a larger number of people listening to her opinion doesn't preclude her from that right. In fact, I praise her for encouraging people to register and vote because the apathy in this country in regards to voting is pathetic.

I agree with Let that had she endorsed Bush there's no way in hell I'd vote for him anyway. I'm sure the Republican people on the board will vote for Bush regardless of what Vanessa says and I don't think they would be mad at her for endorsing him here had she chosen to do so.

Xenophanes

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 01:03:02 pm »
Agreed. I don't think her comment will change the vote of anyone dedicated tot heir party, or who has already been informed/made their decision. I think the only thing that people might be upset about is how her endorsement might affect the votes of people who are still undecided. However, Vanessa does have a right to endorse whomever she wants, and I'll respect that.

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004, 04:43:51 am »
Quote from: "Steveau"
That being said, I don't feel it's in any way irresponsible for any artist to publicly endorse any politician. She's a person and has every right to endorse whoever she wants. Just because she's a public figure and might have a larger number of people listening to her opinion doesn't preclude her from that right.

It is certainly her right. But just because our rights entitle us to do something doesn't automatically prevent our actions from being irresponsible. Women have the right to smoke while pregnant, but it's still irresponsible. We all have the right to go out and get bladdered every night of the week, but if a boy band member or childrens TV presenter does it, then it's irresponsible because of their position of influence.

Like I said, it's not the end of the world, it's almost a non-issue. In Vanessa's case I don't think many people will flock blindly to the Kerry camp just because of her post. I just think that, as a reasonably popular musician, she should have left out the Kerry part. It would have lost nothing as a challenge to voter apathy.

-Kev