Author Topic: MTV Duets!!!! -- Vanessa on TV!  (Read 9031 times)

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
MTV Duets!!!! -- Vanessa on TV!
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2003, 10:12:59 am »
Was Ron Fair interviewed? Because i have seen caps and it seems like he was, if anyone could give me any information i would be eternally grateful! I don't think you can blame someone for having bad English, i think sometimes we take it for granted that everyone will somehow learn English and we don't have to make an effort (thats certainly the British point of view and it pisses me off!).
"I'm all about the wordplay."

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2003, 11:29:06 am »
Yes he was
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2003, 11:48:27 am »
That man is such a legend, what did he say Tricia? (if you don't mind summing it up please.)
"I'm all about the wordplay."

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2003, 11:58:30 am »
He just sat and arranged the piece with Anastacia and said that her biggest problem would be if she got too nervous and didn't practice enough.
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

icebox13

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - darnics
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2003, 08:38:14 am »
Quote from: "irishfan123"
Its times like these that i wish i lived in America  :cry:

yeah, ditto
how much of a VANESSA CARLTON addict am i?
1. i have four copies of BNN--- one for my bedroom, living room, car and bathroom
2. i bought a very expensive badminton racket just because it was branded "CARLTON"

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2003, 11:42:59 am »
YAY!  I finally got to see the whole thing today.  Afterglow sounds amazing, I can't wait to have the oppertunity to hear the whole song.  I thought Anastasia did an awesome job, i can't imagine all the pressure and what she must have felt during the whole thing.
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2003, 03:35:08 am »
Even though I'm somehow with everyone who thinks she should've chosen one of the others, I really enjoyed the show, too.  Some people have bashed Anastasia a little for misquoting the title of the song and flubbing a line in the bridge, but it's difficult thinking in a second language!  (English is one of the very few languages in the world with separate words for "a" and "one".)

Vanessa obviously saw something in her, and I did too once I got to hear her.  Very few people can perfect a recording in one take, but I could tell she was dedicated to doing what she had to do to get it right.  I really hope this isn't the last time we hear of her, and perhaps it won't be.  To be on MTV, on a show that's reairing several times, that's major exposure!  The other final three got some exposure, also, so there's always a chance that they're going to get to work with somebody who can take them places in the industry.  I'm not promising big contracts to anybody, but with work and patience, any of them can succeed!

My congratulations go to everyone - even the ones on the tapes we all giggled at - because at least they made a move, which is a far greater thing than a truly talented person's doing nothing.  I just hate that they had to pick only one and that they were limited to 22 minutes of airtime.  There is so much more I'd love to see!
Dustin

CoolGrlAimee

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2003, 07:42:10 am »
I totally agree with with zurielshimon. I think I understand why Nessa picked anastacia. Rachel was a really good singer but didn't play as well as the others. sonia was an awesome player but her singing wasn't as good as the others. Matthew, much as i wanted him to win, was  pro, so it probably wasn't fair. Anastacia did everything well enough for the duet, she just wasn't the best at any one thing. So congratulations to everybody. It was a cool show.

I went on matthew's page and found the song he sang. It's called "Close."  You can hear it here but it's a Real Player thing not an mp3. It's a REALLY pretty song

http://www.matthewjordan.com/Music/Close.ram

Okay well... I gotta big test tomorrow.  gotta study :(

aim

stressbucket

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2003, 11:55:09 pm »
Hey Aimee, thanks for posting that link to Matthew's song Close.

I just love that song.  If Matthew released a CD with that song on it, I would buy it.

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said here.  I really enjoyed the show, and also agree that the other three will get enough exposure to further their careers.

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MTV Duets!!!! -- Vanessa on TV!
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2004, 04:03:46 pm »
Quote from: "katia"
So i am watching MTV eariler today and Vanessa comes on... It is a half an hour episode with her and Anastasia (sp?), the lucky fan to sing ATM with her.

The important piece... SHE PLAYS AFTERGLOW!!!!  Not all of it, but part... i was in my kitchen and i heard it... i almost went crazy!

So, she arrives at the place where they will be practicing, two baby grand pianos... little bit later she's playing a new song... it's Afterglow!

It was on today at 5pm EST for me till 5:30EST.  I think there are a few more times... but check tvguide.com!

Wed 7th @ 11PM
Thurs 8th @ 11:30AM
Sun 11th @ 6AM
Wed 14th @ 8:30AM

Must... Try... To... Record...

-katia

i jsutlistened to the thing over again and i notested she played 4 notes and 3 chords of morning sting it jsut hit me!!!
funaly i know what it was it was at about 13:05 w/o commercials
Peace
-S