Author Topic: Martika's back and in a new duo, Oppera!!  (Read 4408 times)

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
Martika's back and in a new duo, Oppera!!
« on: June 28, 2004, 07:31:09 pm »
I know most you people here are young but back in the 80's/early 90's there was an aritist named Martika. She was on Kids Inc. (same seasons as Stacy from Black Eyed Peas) and even put out a few albums. Her most memorable single was a little song called "Toy Soldeirs."

Fast foward 2004. She is now married and has a project with her husband Michael Mozart. Their group is called "Oppera." Their cd is entitled "Violince."

The album is a mix of rock, classical, pop, R&B/soul and even a little rapping. Some people have compared them to Ev but I don't really see it. I really like the cd a lot. Martika's voice has gotten so much stronger.

I know that a lot of people here have a wide range of taste in music. So check it out. They should be hitting the road soon and I hope that the word spreads about them soon.

Oppera flash version

Oppera for people like me with slow connections

Oppera flash version

Oppera for people like me with slow connections

songs

Alecs

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 09:56:29 am »
dude I totally remember Martika. I used to have the entire album on a  cassette tape. I will check the new stuff out. I wondered what happened to her. You should change the thread title to oppera/aka martika.  :)
"The crows seemed to be calling his name thought Caw..."

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 12:02:21 pm »
I don't think that people would know who it was even if I put Martika.

So this really cool thing happened to me today. I will share it here cause I know you can appreciate it and share in my excitement.

I went to the site and saw that their new fan club site I guess you could say was finally up. I decided that $5.95 was pretty reasonable and well so I go without a coffee frap today.

Yeah so my phone rings and on the other end was Martika and Michael. They were calling cause I was the first one to join and they wanted to thank me. They were on speaker so it would cut in and out which kinda sucked but damn that was cool. I never really thought about what I would say if we ever got to chat and honestly I couldn't believe that I was speaking to her. I mean back in the day I was all about Martika and 10 years plus later to be chatting, wow!!

We chatted for a good while and they said they would make a point to meet me on the road. I guess we'll see.

So yeah you people need to check out the music

Alecs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 12:17:01 pm »
that's awesome Let! :D

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 11:00:46 am »
It was very awesome.

There was a live chat with Oppera last night and it was totally cool. There weren't too many people so they were able to answer everyone's questions.

I found out that they are starting their tour overseas. :(   They have been invited to the Panartist showcase in the London. It is supposed to be in October (10-15). They have plans in the works to tour China, Italy, Japan, Australia and the UK. They hope to be back in the US around November.

There cd is supposed to be in stores September. Right now you can get it online at www.oppera.net or cdbaby.com amazon.com and such places.

jessicaweiser

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 04:37:58 pm »
I used to be obsessed w/ Kids Inc and w/ "Toy Soldiers". I saw this on another msg board and checked it out. I love her voice:)

keith

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - keithrj997
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 07:59:22 am »
Ah yes, I love "Toy Soilders."

It plays all the time on my Launchast station.

HappyZen

• VCUBs
  • Fell off the ass end of the world.
    • MSN Messenger - youfoundzen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 08:13:24 am »
forget toy soldiers, it was alll about "love thy will be done!" ..
that song still kicks ass!!!

The coolest things happen to you Let:-) LOL
You're like a "cool thing" magnet! :-)
what a great story!

esta vida es un sueño y soñaré
~*~save the uni

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 09:02:50 am »
Quote from: "jessicaweiser"
I used to be obsessed w/ Kids Inc and w/ "Toy Soldiers". I saw this on another msg board and checked it out. I love her voice:)

Awesome, I knew I wasn't the only one. I am glad you checked it out. Coming from you about her voice is awesome.

Really Keith? I would hear it on the 80's flashback Fridays sometimes.

Wow Zena!! I am impressed, you even know about the second album. Go you!! I will let you know if they actually do make it to tour in Australia. That would be awesome if you could go.

There's this big thing about how she doesn't want to do her old songs cause it's Oppera but I just think that with Michael's ingenious they could make those songs even more amazing. But I do understand.

jessicaweiser

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 03:09:05 pm »
Ahh "Love thy will be done" is another favorite of mine!!!! :) I wonder if I can find these old songs of hers somewhere? :)

HappyZen

• VCUBs
  • Fell off the ass end of the world.
    • MSN Messenger - youfoundzen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 05:05:39 pm »
Quote from: "eclv"

Wow Zena!! I am impressed, you even know about the second album. Go you!! I will let you know if they actually do make it to tour in Australia. That would be awesome if you could go.

There's this big thing about how she doesn't want to do her old songs cause it's Oppera but I just think that with Michael's ingenious they could make those songs even more amazing. But I do understand.

I'll definately have to check out Oppera ... It wouls be good to get into a new artist ...

esta vida es un sueño y soñaré
~*~save the uni

Alecs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 07:50:42 pm »
yeah! I'm glad you finally changed the title of this thread so peeps would know it was Martika you were talking about. :-)

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 06:19:30 pm »
So it was July 12th when I spoke with them (it was my friend's b-day so that's why I remember) and I just got the poster Martika said they would send today. That's not too bad. Honestly, I didn't think it was coming.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 12:57:16 pm »
So Eminem sampled "Toy Soldiers" on his new album. You can check it out at The Leak on MTV.com Click on "Like Toy Soldiers."

As far as Oppera, they are supposed to hit the road in December. I hope this helps them out. I would say it gave Dido a big push.