Author Topic: Scenes from the Liberation  (Read 3767 times)

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
  • My face is on milk cartons
    • ICQ Messenger - 3162963
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PintOGuinnessVC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buckheadyouthorchestra.com
    • Email
Scenes from the Liberation
« on: March 25, 2003, 08:32:13 am »
From The Wall Street Journal's Opinion Journal
BEST OF THE WEB by James Taranto

"You just arrived," Ajami Saadoun Khlis of the southern Iraqi city of Safwan tells London's Guardian. "You're late. What took you so long? God help you become victorious. I want to say hello to Bush, to shake his hand. We came out of the grave." He lost his 29-year-old son to Saddam's thugs; the younger man "was executed in July 2001, accused of harbouring warm feelings for Iran."

The Telegraph reports from Umm Qasr, another southern Iraqi locale:

"We never wanted to fight--only the diehards did," said one Iraqi, as they grabbed at water bottles and clasped their palms as if in prayer, begging for food. . . .

One man pulled up his shirt sleeve and held up his right hand. Two fingers had been hacked off and his upper arm was criss-crossed with scars.

"This is the price of defiance--of trying to run away," The said, his eyes beseeching. He held up a torn gas mask that had no air canister. "We have one. We draw straws for it. We know if the British and American soldiers leave as they did before, and Saddam survives, he will gas the town." To make sure we understood, he drew his finger swiftly across his throat.

The Times of London describes a horrific scene after a slave revolt:

Iraqi conscripts shot their own officers in the chest yesterday to avoid a fruitless fight over the oil terminals at al-Faw. British soldiers from 40 Commando's Charlie Company found a bunker full of the dead officers, with spent shells from an AK47 rifle around them.

Stuck between the US Seals and the Royal Marines, whom they did not want to fight, and a regime that would kill them if they refused, it was the conscripts' only way out.

And another Guardian report, from Baghdad, notes that civilians have been largely untouched the shocking and awesome bombardment of the Iraqi capital: "So long as the rest of Baghdad remains almost unscathed, ordinary Iraqis appear relatively buoyant, as they reach for the possibility that maybe this war will be less punishing than they had feared."

Meanwhile, some of those "human shields" came to their senses after arriving in Iraq. United Press International has one such report:

A group of American anti-war demonstrators who came to Iraq with Japanese human shield volunteers made it across the border today with 14 hours of uncensored video, all shot without Iraqi government minders present. Kenneth Joseph, a young American pastor with the Assyrian Church of the East, told UPI the trip "had shocked me back to reality." Some of the Iraqis he interviewed on camera "told me they would commit suicide if American bombing didn't start. They were willing to see their homes demolished to gain their freedom from Saddam's bloody tyranny. They convinced me that Saddam was a monster the likes of which the world had not seen since Stalin and Hitler. He and his sons are sick sadists. Their tales of slow torture and killing made me ill, such as people put in a huge shredder for plastic products, feet first so they could hear their screams as bodies got chewed up from foot to head."

The Telegraph has a first-person account from one Daniel Pepper, an American resident of London, who says he "was a naive fool to be a human shield for Saddam":

I was shocked when I first met a pro-war Iraqi in Baghdad--a taxi driver taking me back to my hotel late at night. I explained that I was American and said, as we shields always did, "Bush bad, war bad, Iraq good." He looked at me with an expression of incredulity.

As he realised I was serious, he slowed down and started to speak in broken English about the evils of Saddam's regime. Until then I had only heard the President spoken of with respect, but now this guy was telling me how all of Iraq's oil money went into Saddam's pocket and that if you opposed him politically he would kill your whole family.

It scared the hell out of me. First I was thinking that maybe it was the secret police trying to trick me but later I got the impression that he wanted me to help him escape. I felt so bad. I told him: "Listen, I am just a schmuck from the United States, I am not with the UN, I'm not with the CIA--I just can't help you."

Wonders never cease--some of these "useful idiots" may turn out to be useful after all.

If you have been forwarded this e-mail and wish to subscribe click here.
-- Jason

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 09:57:59 am »
Wow, that was really interesting Jason.

-Brian
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

superscientific

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • Bang Bang?
    • MSN Messenger - superscientific@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 10:08:24 am »
yeah werd J ...

"you fake like a smile...like a hug I'm tight" - Common "Hungry"
Check out Missy Higgins Music Now!
Myspace!

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 11:48:02 am »
I'm pro-war, but its all propoganda and we'd be naieve to think differently.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 01:32:13 pm »
THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS "CLARIFICATION."

by DENNIS MILLER

ALL THE RHETORIC ON WHETHER OR NOT WE SHOULD GO TO WAR AGAINST IRAQ HAS GOT MY INSANE LITTLE BRAIN SPINNING LIKE A ROULETTE WHEEL. I ENJOY READING OPINIONS FROM BOTH SIDES BUT I HAVE DETECTED A HINT OF CONFUSION FROM SOME OF YOU.

AS I WAS READING THE PAPER RECENTLY, I WAS REMINDED OF THE BEST ADVICE SOMEONE EVER GAVE ME. HE TOLD ME ABOUT THE KISS METHOD ("KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID!) SO, WITH THIS AS A THEME, I'D LIKE TO APPLY THIS THEORY FOR THOSE WHO DON'T QUITE GET IT. MY HOPE IS THAT WE CAN SIMPLIFY THINGS A BIT AND RECOGNIZE A FEW IMPORTANT FACTS.

HERE ARE 10 THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN VOICING AN OPINION ON THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE:

) BETWEEN PRESIDENT BUSH AND SADDAM HUSSEIN ... HUSSEIN IS THE BAD GUY.

2) IF YOU HAVE FAITH IN THE UNITED NATIONS TO DO THE RIGHT THING KEEP THIS IN MIND, THEY HAVE LIBYA HEADING THE COMMITTEE ON HUMAN RIGHTS AND IRAQ HEADING THE GLOBAL DISARMAMENT COMMITTEE. DO YOUR OWN MATH HERE.

3) IF YOU USE GOOGLE SEARCH AND TYPE IN "FRENCH MILITARY VICTORIES," YOUR REPLY WILL BE "DID YOU MEAN FRENCH MILITARY DEFEATS?"

4) IF YOUR ONLY ANTI-WAR SLOGAN IS "NO WAR FOR OIL," SUE YOUR SCHOOL DISTRICT FOR ALLOWING YOU TO SLIP THROUGH THE CRACKS AND ROBBING YOU OF THE EDUCATION YOU DESERVE.

5) SADDAM AND BIN LADEN WILL NOT SEEK UNITED NATIONS APPROVAL BEFORE THEY TRY TO KILL US.

6) DESPITE COMMON BELIEF, MARTIN SHEEN IS NOT THE PRESIDENT. HE ONLY PLAYS ONE ON T.V.

7) EVEN IF YOU ARE ANTI-WAR, YOU ARE STILL AN "INFIDEL!" AND BIN LADEN WANTS YOU DEAD, TOO.

8) IF YOU BELIEVE IN A "VAST RIGHT-WING CONSPIRACY" BUT NOT IN THE DANGER THAT HUSSEIN POSES, QUIT HANGING OUT WITH THE DELL COMPUTER DUDE.

9) WE ARE NOT TRYING TO LIBERATE THEM.

10) WHETHER YOU ARE FOR MILITARY ACTION OR AGAINST IT, OUR YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN OVERSEAS ARE FIGHTING FOR US TO DEFEND OUR RIGHT TO SPEAK OUT. WE ALL NEED TO SUPPORT THEM WITHOUT RESERVATION.
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
Part 2
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 05:03:17 pm »
Best of the Web Today - March 25, 2003
By JAMES TARANTO

Scenes From the Liberation
"British troops are said to be firing on Basra in support of a 'popular uprising' against Saddam Hussein's troops by the people of Iraq's second city," ITV News reports:

Thousands of people took to the streets of the key strategic city in the early evening and began rampaging through areas heavily populated by known sympathisers of the country's regime.

By nightfall dozens of buildings were on fire as the predominantly Shia Muslims of the south took their revenge after years of domination by Saddam Hussein's Sunni Muslim ruling Ba'ath party.

Saddam's forces fired mortars at civilians, ITV reports, which "gave the troops of the 7th Armoured Brigade--the famous Desert Rats--the perfect opportunity to move into the city and take control of a battleground whose capture is vital to the allies."

The Times of London, meanwhile, reports from northern Iraq, where Kurds watching allied bombing "jeered and clapped, delighted that the war had come at last to the front line in northern Iraq":

"I am so happy," Ismail Qadir, 32, a refugee from Kirkuk, said. "If this brings the end of Saddam Hussein's regime even one minute closer, it is great news for us all."

In the town's Communist party headquarters, fighters ran from their barrack rooms, grabbing assault rifles and magazines as their building's windows rattled and shattered.

"It's what we want, but we need more of," Taha Muhammad Qarim, the secretariat leader, said. "The Americans should give it to the Iraqis like this three times a day and then we might see things change."

Even the commies are on our side. This does recall the battle against Hitler, doesn't it?

The Los Angeles Times has evidence from here in America that Saddam's grip on power is loosening:

As Iraqi Americans reach out to their relatives in Baghdad and Basra, in Kirkuk and Irbil, some are hearing words they never thought possible: Iraqis are speaking ill of Saddam Hussein.

They're criticizing him out loud, on the telephone, seemingly undeterred by fear of the Iraqi intelligence service and its tactics of torture for those disloyal to the Baath Party regime.

"I was shocked," said Zainab Al-Suwaij, executive director of the American Islamic Congress, a nonprofit group in Cambridge, Mass., that promotes interfaith and interethnic understanding. "It's very dangerous. All the phones are tapped. But they are so excited."

The funk of pessimism and defeatism that descended on America seems to be lifting too, but in case you still need bucking up, check out this David Warren column:

You wouldn't know it from reading most of the papers, but the war in Iraq is going fabulously well. After just five days the U.S. Third Infantry Division and supporting units are approaching Baghdad. The immense steel column continues to drive reinforcements across the Iraqi desert, while its leading edge rumbles through the fields, villages, and waterways of Mesopotamia. To its rear, the "sleeper cells" of Ba'athist and terrorist hitmen waiting in ambush are being eliminated one by one. Special forces have seized bridges, dams, airstrips, oil and gas fields, and weapons sites all over the country.

The U.S. Air Force has devastated leadership targets, military infrastructure, and the physical symbols of the Saddam regime, across Baghdad and elsewhere. Allied troops have Basra, Nasiriyah, now Karbala, and other Iraqi cities surrounded, and are tightening each noose. Snipers in the towns are being patiently deleted. The "Scud box" of western Iraq is in allied hands, daily more secure, and allied forces are building with endless air deployments to the northern front. In all, the allies have taken only a few dozen killed, and a couple hundred lesser casualties--many of these from small accidents within the most amazing and vast logistical exercise since our troops landed in Normandy (when we lost men at the rate of up to 500 a minute, liberating France).

In just five days all this has been achieved! And while the most grisly parts of the campaign still lie ahead, all the worst fears have gone unrealized, so far.
-- Jason

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 05:13:59 pm »
Oh and Joe.. you shouldn't be afraid of the Russians.  Who have you been talking to?  I mean seriously?  You're afraid of the Russians.. Americans have not been afraid if anyone forever...  

But at the Russians.. you should be angry...  turns out that they violated the UN sanctions almost as badly as Iraq, Germany and France...  Selling Iraq GPS Jamming equip as recently as two weeks ago. Since our bombs depend on GPS guidance for accuracy, if they miss and hit civillans by mistake.. there will be only one country to blame.. Russia... :

"The United States delivered a protest to the government of President Vladimir Putin [Saturday] for refusing to stop Russian arms dealers from providing illegal weapons and assistance to the Iraqi military," the Washington Post reports:

One Russian company is helping the Iraqi military deploy electronic jamming equipment against U.S. planes and bombs, and two others have sold antitank missiles and thousands of night-vision goggles in violation of U.N. sanctions.

The administration says it has known about the illegal sales for a year; Russia initially denied them, then "assured the Americans that they were closely watching the company," known as Aviaconversiya, that is selling the jamming equipment. An unnamed U.S. official says America learned last week that "that Aviaconversiya personnel are now in Iraq "showing Iraqis how to use them and how to fix them." . . . The Russians "sure as hell should have been able to stop these guys.' "

CNN quotes an official as saying America is "worried this equipment can disorient pilots and cruise missiles." If a cruise missile goes astray in Baghdad, Putin could end up with the blood of Iraqi civilians on his hands.

Meanwhile, the Sun, a British tabloid, claims that "Russian missiles dated 2002 were found yesterday in a bunker south of Basra--despite a UN embargo on arms sales to Iraq since 1991." How can the U.N. Security Council possibly recover from revelations that its permanent members were violating U.N. sanctions and arming a rogue regime?
-- Jason

bills50000

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • ICQ Messenger - 9960745
    • MSN Messenger - bills50000@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - bills50000
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - bills50000
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fourtentech.com/
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 07:10:47 pm »
I like you, Jason. :)  Almost makes me want to go buy a Guiness because Guiness drinkers have good views. ;)

--Jon

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2003, 08:29:04 pm »
LOL... thanks Jon...  just don't call me a conservative  and I'll be happy.. ;)
-- Jason