Author Topic: This Generation is Deaf  (Read 8653 times)

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« on: March 23, 2007, 05:27:52 pm »
I'm sorry for the somewhat obnoxious title but I feel really mad right now!  :x

For music class, we have this thing called "Fresh Music Friday". We get to bring in our favorites songs and we listen and comment on them (like it? not like it? and why?). Anyway, my two friends and I brought an Arctic Monkeys song, a Death Cab for Cutie song and a Jack's Mannequin one. As soon as everyone finished listening to it, they were all really really ruthless and started calling it "emo... gay..." or what have you. I'm just really mad that the social circuits of the school must have a specific type of music to like. Everyone else brought something rap, hip-hop etc. (I'm not saying that it's bad, I happen to like some of it) and everyone was all for it and were the only ones that sort of got rejected.

It's really unfair and crappy!  :x  :x  :x

So... what do you think???

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 06:57:00 pm »
At my school, Death Cab, Jack's Mannequin, Augustana, (unfortunately) The Fray, Matt Nathanson they're all real popular. I go to an all guys school. Not a lot of people really like rap.
Joe

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:36:52 pm »
That does suck, I love your taste in music! I'm all for everything except ska/metal/punk oh man I can't stand that. Its really just noise.

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:31:14 am »
I just wish people would let everyone like what they like.  How annoying.
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

liquidblue244

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Deaf? Not I!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 01:17:15 pm »
I LOVE THE ARCTIC MONKEYS! THEY'RE NEW CD IS OUT ON APRIL 23RD (I THINK) AND THAT'S MY BIRTHDAY! IDK, I think that our generation is not a deaf generation...I think that we just have a lot of crap in the mainstream, but that doesn't mean that everyone is into the mainstream....I think that our generation is actually open ears. More and more indie bands and other "left-field" artists are having very promising careers, especially since we are the "iPod" generation, look at purevolume.com were anyone can market their music. Idk, I'm just trying to say that I think our generation is more open with music than before.....

And all the constellations, shine down on you and me...

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 03:32:23 pm »
Well, I'm sorry for that but I was just mad or w/e.  But I do agree that this generation is more open but I guess I just meant that specific class is deaf. Sorry if I insulted anyone in a way. :(

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 04:35:22 pm »
That's in New Hampshire, eh? They only like rap and hip hop? Hahah, I bet it's a bunch of white kids, too. The music you mentioned is trendy around here right now. Of what you mentioned, I personally only like Jack's Mannequin because I like Andrew McMahon and his piano skillzzz, but it's really rude that they made fun of your music because it wasn't rap and hip hop. It's their own problem, don't feel bad- You should have laughed at them and said, "You're the one with the problem, seeing as though it seems like you only like one genre of music. That is pretty narrow minded."

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 11:00:28 pm »
Quote from: "Manda"
That does suck, I love your taste in music! I'm all for everything except ska/metal/punk oh man I can't stand that. Its really just noise.

you're displaying the same attitude as the people in the class when you say "It's really just noise"... so what you're saying is that if YOU don't like it it's not even "music"? Isn't this thread about how people don't respect other's taste in music :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 03:35:32 am »
Quote from: "NoelleNC"
That's in New Hampshire, eh? They only like rap and hip hop? Hahah, I bet it's a bunch of white kids, too.

That's exactly right!  They are just white kids (not to be racist in any way) trying to be "gangster".  :)

charmedguy18

This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 08:00:20 am »
Quote from: "Jophess"
At my school, Death Cab, Jack's Mannequin, Augustana, (unfortunately) The Fray, Matt Nathanson they're all real popular. I go to an all guys school. Not a lot of people really like rap.

I love Augustana and The Fray. =\

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 09:00:57 am »
That's funny. Pete (LogikalX), my boyfriend, lives in Massachusetts and it's funny when I go there because some of the kids (white) dress "gangster" and I don't think I can even remember seeing a black kid being there. Maybe at the airport, haha. Where I live, in Southern Maryland, it's probably about 40% black, or it was in my high school, and it was pretty much split between "gangster", "prep" and "punk". The punk look has become more popular since I've graduated, but nobody here would make fun of you for liking Death Cab For Cutie. In fact, they are really popular here.

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 05:16:42 pm »
Quote from: "charmedguy18"
Quote from: "Jophess"

I love Augustana and The Fray. =\
Augustana's great and so was the Fray for a while. Now the Fray is just overplayed and annoying. If I hear "How to Save a Life" one more time, I'm going to (figuratively) kill someone.
Joe

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 11:13:43 am »
Just don't listen to the radio, like me, and the songs won't get played out. :)

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 10:33:27 am »
I know what you mean.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 03:13:49 pm »
Did you try expressing why you love the music you do? Why it's not "emo?" Maybe drawing some comparisons between the modern songs you like and the timeless, classic records from the past will shut them up.