Author Topic: This Generation is Deaf  (Read 9099 times)

LimeTwister

This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 07:31:26 pm »
the arctic monkeys aren't that great.

and, no, i'm not deaf.

and, in this post, i forgot what grammar was.

sue me.

givemer0mance

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - givemer0mance
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/letsgetdowntodisco
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 05:25:17 am »
Quote from: "me and my piano---tim"
Did you try expressing why you love the music you do? Why it's not "emo?" Maybe drawing some comparisons between the modern songs you like and the timeless, classic records from the past will shut them up.

thats a really good idea!

at my school there were just so many types of music, but it was definetly rock and hip hop that were really well known. hip hop for dancing (thats all they play at prom and homecoming) but rock is only popular if its on mainstream. im pretty much open to anything but its really annoying when people go around saying "i hate this band because they're emo" without even listening to them or the lyrics. its just a pain. (my dad does that and it pisses me off)

^not trying to make anyone feel bad or anything just putting my idea out there.

iKnowWhatYouDid

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mbiddy001
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 05:44:38 pm »
at my school it's "cool" to like emo and underground bands. hip-hop and pop aren't necessarily looked down upon, but i know people always need to have little-known "indie" artists as their myspace songs so they show off their "good taste."  i personally like a lot of that music, so i don't really have a problem with it, i've just noticed it a lot.

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
Re: This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 12:39:45 am »
Quote from: "IfICouldFall"
I'm sorry for the somewhat obnoxious title but I feel really mad right now!  :x

For music class, we have this thing called "Fresh Music Friday". We get to bring in our favorites songs and we listen and comment on them (like it? not like it? and why?). Anyway, my two friends and I brought an Arctic Monkeys song, a Death Cab for Cutie song and a Jack's Mannequin one. As soon as everyone finished listening to it, they were all really really ruthless and started calling it "emo... gay..." or what have you. I'm just really mad that the social circuits of the school must have a specific type of music to like. Everyone else brought something rap, hip-hop etc. (I'm not saying that it's bad, I happen to like some of it) and everyone was all for it and were the only ones that sort of got rejected.

It's really unfair and crappy!  :x  :x  :x

So... what do you think???

i felt the same way before.. in one of my art classes last semester we had a project where we had to design a cd cover using a color scheme that represented the type of music that was on the cd. so i made a mix of some of my favorite songs, most of them kind of dark.. like  the requiem for a dream soundtrack, she floats, some tori amos... and there was this group of annoying sorority type girls sitting in the back by the stereo when my cd was playing saying to eachother "what the fuck is this shit?!" and then when they put on their cd it was like all rap and just really uncreative studio edited stuff.
      at first when they said that it kind of offended me.. but then i realized how immature they are and that i'm better off not being like them: ignorant people that dont open themselves up to other music types and only  listen to whats "cool" and on the radio top 40. so its kind of sad really. usualy people that are like that are that way because they're so insecure about themselves that they dont have the guts to listen to anything "different" or "artsy" because they think they wont be accepted or cool.

yeah. end rant.
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 05:42:17 am »
Although it's a pretty old topic, thank you for all your comments. I do realize now that they're all being immature about it and turns out I'm not the only one who feels the same way too. hehehe.  :)
Again, thanks.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 11:51:44 am »
Jessica, I know what you mean. When I was in high school all my friends pretty much listened to rap and hip-hop. I know they liked other music too, bc if I was alone with them at their house or something they'd play different kinds of music, but at school when they'd talk about music it was always what was in style. I remember I brought in this mix cd and played it for my friend and she said, "This is a good song" without me even asking if she liked it, and it was a newer, unreleased Hanson song... hahaha.

Once I got to college, the music repetoire seemed to expand, thankfully, for most people. I'm not sure if this is true of most colleges, but this big radius of closeby dorms all had linked itunes, so you could listen to anyone's library of music... so there was tons of access to people's tastes and they were, to put it lightly, diverse. hahah. That was one good thing about living in a dorm.

luxbabylux

• **BANNED**
  • Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 01:10:08 pm »
jsut because some people don't enjoy wacko emo music doesn't mean the generation is deaf, it means different people have different tastes in music DUUUUUUUH. anyway at my school we all listen to posh music cause we're all extremely wealthy & gorgeous. we also like a lot of britpop and europop. cause we're too cute for american music  :roll:

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »
Quote from: "luxbabylux"
jsut because some people don't enjoy wacko emo music doesn't mean the generation is deaf, it means different people have different tastes in music DUUUUUUUH. anyway at my school we all listen to posh music cause we're all extremely wealthy & gorgeous. we also like a lot of britpop and europop. cause we're too cute for american music  :roll:

a little blunt don't you think? anywho the problem is that yes everyone has their own taste in music and bash out other music instead of keeping an open mind. I do it myself...making me a bit of a hyprocite (spelled wrong) when it comes to music but at least I can admit it. For instance I was listeing to Home and my friend comes along and shes like oh jeeze how can you listen to that and she bashes on the song...which I than got so pissed just like walked away....than I come back and shes listing to what is it "lip Gloss?" ughughguh its like you think vanessa carltons music is bad...but you listen to something titled lip gloss..I would hate to listen to something that you think is like awesome. anyways I think the problem is people just don't keep an open mind.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

luxbabylux

• **BANNED**
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 08:07:12 pm »
Quote from: "itsthefiveofus"

a little blunt don't you think? anywho the problem is that yes everyone has their own taste in music and bash out other music instead of keeping an open mind. I do it myself...making me a bit of a hyprocite (spelled wrong) when it comes to music but at least I can admit it. For instance I was listeing to Home and my friend comes along and shes like oh jeeze how can you listen to that and she bashes on the song...which I than got so pissed just like walked away....than I come back and shes listing to what is it "lip Gloss?" ughughguh its like you think vanessa carltons music is bad...but you listen to something titled lip gloss..I would hate to listen to something that you think is like awesome. anyways I think the problem is people just don't keep an open mind.

lip gloss is the cutest song ever!

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 06:19:48 am »
Quote from: "itsthefiveofus"

lip gloss is the cutest song ever!

Haha you just contradicted yourself right there... lol.  :)
Sorry... just thought it was funny. And the fact that you are IN a Vanessa Carlton forums also contradicts what you said.

And about your "some people don't enjoy wacko emo music doesn't mean the generation is deaf" comment, I just meant that some people are limited to a popular genre and they don't really appreciate, let alone consider that there's another world of music out there. So I just want them to give it a proper listen and I don't care if they hate it or not, but just respect it.  :)

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 08:39:57 am »

For some reason I thought that was sarcasm until I realized you're not really capable of such a thing judging from some of your other posts.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

luxbabylux

• **BANNED**
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 10:13:43 am »
Quote from: "portions.for.foxes"

For some reason I thought that was sarcasm until I realized you're not really capable of such a thing judging from some of your other posts.

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 10:30:49 am »

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Yeah, because that's necessary.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

luxbabylux

• **BANNED**
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 10:42:28 am »

Yeah, because that's necessary.

oh like yourrr comment was SOOO necessaryyyy.  go read a book weirdo bahahaha :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Suicidalboobs

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
This Generation is Deaf
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2007, 01:22:41 pm »
Excuse us wackos for listening to music with "melody" and "talent."