Author Topic: Power Chord Academy  (Read 3274 times)

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kyyyyyy
    • View Profile
Power Chord Academy
« on: July 08, 2007, 12:14:41 pm »
anyone ever heard of this?  it's for people ages 13-18, and it's a rock band camp.  you are placed in a band of about 6 people based on your musical experience, preference, what instrument(s) you play, etc.  I'm going to PCA in san francisco next week, it starts on the 15th.  last year i went to new york for PCA and that was my first time.  i am so nervous, but last time i was under enough pressure to write a pretty decent song. :)

link to PCA:  http://www.powerchordacademy.com
link to my band from last year http://www.myspace.com/humansoundpca
sig & av by natalie, thank you!

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
Power Chord Academy
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 03:28:35 pm »
I've read a lot about it and considered going, but have never been interested enough to go. You would recommend it? Also, I'm not sure if anyone else my age is into folky/pop/rock kind of stuff that I like.
Joe

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
Power Chord Academy
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:03:01 am »
I wish I'd known about this in high school and had some friends who'd have been willing to go with me. I couldn't really play an instrument at the time, but I did want to be lead singer of a band!! Yesssss. I don't think I'm cut out for that sort of thing though, so maybe it's for the best. hehe.

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Power Chord Academy
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:24:57 am »
Quote from: "Jophess"
I've read a lot about it and considered going, but have never been interested enough to go. You would recommend it? Also, I'm not sure if anyone else my age is into folky/pop/rock kind of stuff that I like.

i would recommend it, but last year i had a really odd experience.  they made a huge mix-up and put me in a band with a girl who had signed up to do lead vocals and keyboards, just like i had.  she was a bitch and wasn't gonna let me sing at all, but everything ended up working out...

but yeah, if nothing esle, it's an experience like no other.  and there are many different types of music played there, usually variations of rock music, but it's still pretty diverse.

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Power Chord Academy
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 10:12:57 pm »
well, i got out of power chord on the 21st.  it was such an amazing experience, especially compared to the one i had last year.  i totally shamelessly plugged vanessa while i was there, too!  there is a lot of talented young people in san francisco.  if anybody wants me to answer any questions please pm me, feel free to ask.  we did have an unbelievable catastrophe with our drummer.

oh, our band was called "the flatliners."  we had an excellent song, which we were all very proud of, called "epilogue," which should be available on our myspace page http://www.myspace.com/theflatlinerspca by tomorrow, lyrics and all, and it's up for download.

again, any and all questions are welcome.  i highly recommend this camp to pretty much anyone between 12-18 on this board, seeing as almost everyone here is so musically inclined.

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
Power Chord Academy
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 01:30:16 pm »
ky-

nice i listened to both songs love it - nice work - wish i could i go - maybe next summer i can be staff!
xoxo

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Power Chord Academy
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 06:19:00 pm »
thank you very much!

the counselors do say that they love working there.  they get paid 500 dollars a week and don't have to worry about spending it on gas money, because they stay on campus!  and food is included.

people, please check out the song.  i really would like as much feedback as possible.

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Power Chord Academy
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 06:45:12 pm »
I like the song, but I wanna be honest "The Flatliners" is a great band name, but it's kinda depressing... lol. I had a bad experience with those paddles and stuff but w/e. Anyway, i really liked it considering that it was  written in three days. plus in the chorus, "Take me back..." same note progression for "Home", "Fools Like Me" and the there she goes song :) :), maybe it was your influence (?) or it just sounded good, well cause it did! :)

So all in all, it was a great song! :D

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Power Chord Academy
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 09:07:17 pm »
probably was a HUGE influence.  i fell asleep listening to my ipod the morning before i wrote the melody. i didn't even notice the similarity til later, honestly.  i was too wrapped up and stressed out to even notice at the time.

flatliners was like the most random name, but the best we could come up with!

and thanks, of course.  :D