Author Topic: 7/24/2007: Roxy Theatre - West Hollywood, CA (review)  (Read 36897 times)

xxbehindhazeleyesxx

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/xxshane4everxx
7/24/2007: Roxy Theatre - West Hollywood, CA (review)
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 12:24:56 am »
That was an excellent show. For my first time seeing Vanessa live, I thought that was one of the best shows I've been to. And now I have to say that I don't feel as stupid for waiting in line since NOON. Even considering how nobody else showed up until about 5:30, haha. But it was definitely worth it, now that I think about it. :D

My favorite songs of the night would have to be "The One" (it made me think about things, for some reason, & I kinda got emotional :roll:) and "Who's to Say," because of what she said when introducing the song - how it's for those who are in a relationship not approved/accepted by their mother, or George Bush.

Vanessa is far more talented than a lot of artists out there. I can't wait to see her again. And a special thank you to those who I met with and talked to at the show, that truly made the experience better for me.  :)

maira

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • AOL Instant Messenger - maira713
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 12:25:04 am »
OK. I am doing it over mediafire but it says it will take four hours( this is like a five minute video). I think it will be dome by tomorrow mornig. I'll post the link then.

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 01:03:15 am »
Before I write my little review, I would like to thank Katia and Let for bringing me with them to LA. I am just another poor, unemployed engineering student and I would have never have been able to afford this trip on my own. I'm glad I got to go on such a wonderful trip to see my first V show.

We got to the theater a bit before 6. We were second in line (xxbehindhazeleyesxx was the first) and waited quite a bit. You could hear the sound check if you stood in front of the door. I later discovered that you could see in through the glass door and view the stage if you blocked the glare with your hand. I saw and heard V working on The One with Stevie. Steveau brought a radio so we heard V's radio appearance on there. Since it was going on at the same time as the sound check, it didn't take Sherlock Holmes to deduce that the whole thing was prerecorded. It was kinda weird to hear a recorded version of one of her songs on one side of me and her doing a sound check with another one at the same time. :-p Doors opened at 8ish (tickets said 7:30) and the curtain rose at 9ish.

Irv came on at the beginning and introduced V. It was pretty much a lovefest. The crowd cheered when he said he'd shut up and bring V on stage. It's nice that he has such a great sense of humor.

Vanessa kicked all kinds of ass, as always. She started out with Ordinary Day. If you haven't been to a concert of hers or haven't heard many bootlegs, you might not know that she almost always performs this song with the "divide and conquer" lyrics. Next, she played Hands on Me. She introduced this song with a short little story about how the title irked her mom. She introduced Nolita Fairytale by explaining how moving to Nolita and being mentored by Stevie Nicks motivated the song. After Nolita, she introduced Stevie Nicks and played The One. Stevie brought lyrics sheets onto the stage and said that it was the first time that she had ever used them at a performance. Apparently she just came up with the harmony part a week ago and lost her recording of the song when she dropped her iPod in the pool. Stevie's voice was soulful as always and the texture played off of that of V's voice rather well. She introduced White Houses not with a narration, but with an improv mini-overture of sorts. When she introduced Heroes and Thieves, she said that there were quite a few heroes in the theater and named a few people who had helped her. She introduced Fools Like Me by explaining that it's about love. She said that we're all fools. We fall in love, get burned, and then fall in love again like we've never learned anything from our prior experiences. She introduced ATM by thanking Ron Fair, who she said really helped her with that song. She introduced Home by talking about all the stuff she's done in LA and said it was a premiere (she forgot playing it at NY or WNBA?). She played Who's To Say, with the standard intro "This is for those of you who are in relationships that are not approved of by your mother or President Bush."

Up until this concert, my only exposure to Vanessa has been through her recorded stuff or boots, albeit on some rather impressive sound systems. All the recordings lack something, though. The albums are overproduced to hell and back and get rid of all sorts of interesting things. The boots, while having the raw emotion and energy that the albums lack, still kinda suck as the recordings are of poor quality. It was an entirely different feeling being right by the stage and having the amplified bass notes just shake your body and her voice engulfing you. I am now a firm believer in the idea that Vanessa is best enjoyed live. It was amusing when she messed up and said little things like "it doesn't go like that."

Somewhere during the set, V told the story of how she first played for Irv. His reaction was "you motherfucker! that's the shit!" (or something like that). The song after she told that story, Irv came on to the stage, hugged her, and yelled "you're the motherfucking shit!" She said that stuff like that is why she loves Irv. "If he feels like rushing the stage, he will." She also said that she expected him to do that after every song that night, lest she believe that her subsequent songs weren't as good.

The only thing that was bad about the show is that it was far too short. I wasn't timing the thing, but the entire set including encore and talking was about an hour long. It was still worth all the money and travel, but I would have really liked to have heard more, especially some songs from the new album that we haven't heard yet, or perhaps some songs that didn't make the cut for the album.

After the show, Irv came out and talked with us. He was really chill and told us that we (the NESSAholics) were the ones he cared most about pleasing. He said he understood that some people had concerns because acts like V's have been "urbanized" (e.g. Nelly Furtado). He told us that there is really nothing to worry about as he strongly believes in letting her do her own thing.  Let told her story of how she was the original NESSAholic (if you don't know, you might want to ask her sometime) and he seemed quite interested.

V came out to do pictures and signing stuff about 30 minutes after the show. I got a picture taken of me with V, Manda, and one of her friends.  When I was posing for this first picture, she told me, "wow, you're really tall." We also got a pic V with all the NH.com staff in LA (me, Kat, Let, Nicole). She signed my ticket and I'm amused that her signature is pretty similar to mine: a scribble.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

charmedguy18

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 01:20:48 am »
That concert was amazing. It was my first Vanessa concert and she was so amazing. I love Fools Like Me and Home. Those songs are sooo amazing. She changed some parts of White Houses and Who's to Say to make them better, and they really do. I wish she would rerecord them that way haha.

Anyway, it was wonderful. Thanks to Let and Shane for letting me in the bubble. haha=]

But, I'm very disappointed that no one told me about the signing and the thing with Irv afterwards. I would have liked to been there.

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 01:37:05 am »
Quote from: "charmedguy18"
But, I'm very disappointed that no one told me about the signing and the thing with Irv afterwards. I would have liked to been there.

We didn't know that it would happen, we just hung around and hoped that it would. I'm sure you would have been pissed if we had you waiting there 50 minutes for something that never happened. :-P
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

lavender skies

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 06:15:04 am »
Sounds amazing! I'm so excited to hear White Houses and The One!

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 06:41:52 am »
sounds like you all had a great time at that gig!! i'm jealous!

TonksRocksMySocks

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 06:49:18 am »
The concert was the most beautiful simple and mesmorizing experience ever.

I was diagonal from her piano and so the piano was blocking my view of her except for her eyes, which were so full of emotion and gave life to each of her songs. Vanessa Carlton live is so much fun, singing along with her and other fellow fans was the best.

also glad to made friends with people i was in line with

especially Will, thanks for talking with me and passing time as we waited

and that star 98.7 promoter guy said he would put the pictures of all of us on this website

http://www.star987.com/pages/starshots/

werdz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 07:27:02 am »
Quote from: "divasteph"

irv came out after the show and talked to all of us and took pics with us - as did VC

How much after the show? I wanted to get a pic too but I had no idea how it worked lol. Oh well maybe next time.

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 07:44:12 am »
I have all the photo's, I just need to upload them and post them so you can all take a look. I just wanted to skim through the wonderful reviews before work. :-/

I love what I've read so far!

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 08:06:03 am »
it was good times in deed! So awesome to see all the old holics (even if V doesn't call us that) Steve, Jess, Holly, to be having a drink with you two... How the time has flown.

So awesome to meet newbies, glad you made it to the forum, Shane, Tonks, Maira.

Cavin, glad you made it too.

The show was awesome. V really seemed happy and greatful.

Irv is cool, it was nice to tell him in person how much we appreciate him supporting her.

Big love to Steph, Nicole and Katia.

I think everything was covered so I really didn't have anything to add, sorry.

I had an unsteady hand cam but I think you guys will get over it, if not we know Kulpy will rip it and there you go.

More later...  it's only at 36%

Ok, here's the link, not sure if it's ready yet, I am going back to bed.
http://www.youtube.com/v/dTIjuhjsagQ  if that's not the link, here's my channel link http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=smpd24  check that and see if it's up yet.

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 08:17:49 am »
The show was amazing! I loved how she seemed truly happy and humble about where she's at right now! The music was beautiful and you can tell she's definitely grown as a musician!
It was great seeing everyone again! Lunch was fun! I wish I coulda hung out more at the show! I wanted to stay after but my friend was exhausted from work so we left.
I'll post pictures soon!
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

Martin.

• Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 08:22:26 am »
Here's a clip of "The One" with Stevie! :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIQtLAk8OWk

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 08:30:59 am »
awesome.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

Eepots

• AOL Instant Messenger - dpd5125
    • View Profile
The One
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 08:59:27 am »
Stevie's voice made me think it was like an older version of V singing or something..like her present and future self reflecting on their's life's loves.