Author Topic: His Dark Materials - The Golden Compass  (Read 2466 times)

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
His Dark Materials - The Golden Compass
« on: September 19, 2007, 10:37:06 am »

Has anyone read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman? Amazing series, best fantasy book collection in my opinion. Completely blows the likes of Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia out of the water.

New Line Cinemas, and the teams who worked on The Lord of the Rings are now bringing this trilogy to flim, and the first installment, The Golden Compass is being released in theaters this winter. The film has a budget of 150 million (More expensive than the first installment for LOTR), and it looks amazing.

Nicole Kidman (Who plays the villain), Daniel Craig (The new James Bond) and Eva Green are in it. :) It has an amazing cast.

Here's the trailer -

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vK6MDIEQjMg

You guys should definately consider reading the books, I kid you not, they're amazing. The author writes a very compelling and dark tale and has an interesting take on religion, spirituality, politics, physics and the multi-verse. It's a very mature read in some aspects, even though it's geared towards younger readers as well as older ones.

Edit -

Here's an extended preview worth watching!  :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NwUaao-Cihs&mode=related&search=

It's about 5 minutes long.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

Journey_to

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 04:33:30 am »
I read the first 2 books and enjoyed them..but somehow never got around to reading the third..
I particularly enjoyed, as portionsforfoxes said, the interesting twists on old ideas..when i read it, i was young (about 10 or 9) and was astonished by his writing and ideas.. now that i'm older,i'm compelled to think i should reread the series and truly grasp the certain concepts that a 10 year old may have difficulty understanding.

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:48:11 am »
Quote from: "Journey_to"
I read the first 2 books and enjoyed them..but somehow never got around to reading the third..
I particularly enjoyed, as portionsforfoxes said, the interesting twists on old ideas..when i read it, i was young (about 10 or 9) and was astonished by his writing and ideas.. now that i'm older,i'm compelled to think i should reread the series and truly grasp the certain concepts that a 10 year old may have difficulty understanding.

The third one's the best one out of the trilogy!  :o Yeah, you should definately re-read the other books, I read them when I was younger but I read them again recently since the movie is coming out and I realized that I didn't get a lot out of them when I was younger as much as I did now.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 11:30:13 am »
When I saw the trailer for the movie at the theater, I wanted to read them. But when I went to the library, they were checked out. So I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I hope I like them. I'm more a fan of children's fantasy like The Neverending Story (the 1st), not Harry Potter.

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 05:09:34 pm »
Quote from: "NoelleNC"
When I saw the trailer for the movie at the theater, I wanted to read them. But when I went to the library, they were checked out. So I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I hope I like them. I'm more a fan of children's fantasy like The Neverending Story (the 1st), not Harry Potter.

I love the NeverEnding Story, oh man, they don't make them like they used to. I cry everytime the horse dies, every time. :(

Anyways, Border's has an edition of the trilogy where all the books are put into one volume, and it's cheaper than purchasing them seperately, it's a little over 20 dollars if I recall, that's if you're interested though.

HarmySandwhich

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 12:40:34 pm »
The film is probably going to be ruined - most film adaptations are. I was the webmaster of www.citagazze-cityofmagpies.com if you remember that website. I took it down because it was eating away my finances.

Formerly known as Meraphix