Author Topic: Fan Reviews of Heroes and Thieves  (Read 31331 times)

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
Fan Reviews of Heroes and Thieves
« on: September 26, 2007, 07:06:49 pm »
Well i thought i'd make a topic where everyone can post tehir own review of the album, so we can see what everyone thinks of each song..if you haven't listenined to the album yet and are waiting for the release day then post your review when you get it :)
heres mine:

1. Nolita Fairytale: We'll we've been able to listen to this song for a while so it wasn't a shock to listen to it on the cd. I actually think its one of the best songs on the album, its very upbeat and catchy.
8.5/10

2. Hands On Me: This was a little different than i was expecting. I thought it would be more slowed down and full of strings, but it turned out to be a little more up tempo. However, i still really liked it. I also liked the backup voices during the chorus.
9/10

3. Spring Street: This is probably my least favorite song on the album. Its okay, but its nothing spectacular. Its a bit boring for me. However i do like the bridge.
6.5/10

4. Fools Like Me: I thought it turned out to be pretty good. I thought the intro could have been a bit more powerful...i dont really know what that is in the intro....I think her vocals are REALLY great on this song. Its one of my favorites.
9/10

5. Home: All i can say is WOW! i think this song is AMAZING on the album. I was totally surprised by the piano solo, which is absolutely INCREDIBLE. wow wow wow wow wow.
10/10

6. Come Undone: I think this song is okay. In my opinion the intro is a bit long. But it was very different compared to alot of other Vanessa songs. But i think its kinda catchy and its starting to grow on me.
8/10

7. The One: I thought it would have been really nice to have Stevie in the song, but it just doesnt seem to fit in quite well with me. I think Stevie kinda sounds like a robot in this song. But other than that i think it is really nice.
8/10

8. Heroes and Thieves: I LOVE this song. It was alot better than i was expecting. I love that violin or whatever it is in the background, and i think her vocals are GREAT in this song. It's definately one of my favorites.
9.5/10

9. This Time: This was kinda exactly what i was expecting. I think its really nice though. I think the strings are really nice in this one. I didnt really used to like this song too too much but im starting to really like it.
8.5/10

10. My Best: I really really like this song. I think the melody is really catchy and i really like the lyrics. I think its one of the better songs on the album.
9/10

11. More Than This: This is my FAVORITE song on the album. I absolute LOVE it!!!!! I think it was the PERFECT way to end the album. I think the "Let's make this a story.Let's live in the glory!" part is sooo beautiful.
This song is RIDICULOUSLY FANTASTIC!
11/10

Overall Thoughts:
I really enjoyed the record. There were definately a few standout songs for me. They were Home, Heroes and Thieves, and More Than This.  A few songs i wasn't to impressed by like Spring Street, and The One. However, i will be listening to ALL the songs over and over again. I cant wait to get an actual copy of the album>
I LOVED this cd.
:)

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

HeroesAndThieves

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • love plastic love
    • MSN Messenger - heroesandthieves@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 07:11:33 pm »
I'll be writing a review soon.

But i can't wait to hear More Than This and of course This Time <3

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 07:31:19 pm »
everyone needs to stfu because stevie's vocals are gorgeous.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 07:35:16 pm »
Gorgeous like the cries of a dying water buffalo.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

HeroesAndThieves

• love plastic love
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 07:37:58 pm »
Nolita Fairytale
Nolita Fairytale was and still is the best candidate for 1st single, as the others are not a commercial.
8.7/10

Hands On Me
Hands On Me is a brilliant song, but the use of sounds doesn't suit the way Vanessa is actually singing [one of my faves]
9.3/10

Spring Street
Spring Street, use to be the let down of the album. But after i've listened to it, i've realised this has the potiential to be the best song on the album. The lyrics are amazing.
9.4/10

My Best
The keyboard [as i assume it is] at the intro seems very boring, but as it builds up to the chorus it is very well done.
8.8/10

Come Undone
Come Undone, with it's very long intro [and ending] has been the only song i will actually skip. If i actually listen to the song, it's very good. The beat is so beautiful and suits the lyrics.
7.9/10

The One
The One, I loved it live, and i still do. I think Stevie does sort of ruin the song, but if i never heard it before i'm sure i'd like it no matter what.
7.6/10

Heroes & Thieves
This song is worthy of the album being named after it, it's a stand-out. I'm so happy with how this turned out.
9.4/10

This Time
This Time [my favourite before the album] has grown on me. Before i complained about the lazy vocals, but i realise that fits the song perfectely
9.1/10

Fools Like Me
I'm in love with this song, although the "polyphonic" noises on the intro annoy me. Still a great song.
9.7/10

Home
I'm so happy this song turned out like this, i was expecting a boring talk. This is a true work of art, and shows Vanessa very well, very good for 2nd single
9.3/10

More Than This
This song finishes the album perfectly. The extra bit [of her dog barking] is just so adorable. But the lyrics are very beautiful
9.6/10

Overall
9.9/10
Seriously the second best album i've ever listened to. [after Delta Goodrem's "mistaken identity"]
I hope on the Jap edition with the extra songs i could raise it to 10! :D

Helena's Picks!
Fools Like Me [9.7]
More Than This [9.6]
Heroes & Thieves [9.4]
Spring Street [9.4]
Home [9.3]
Hands On Me [9.3]
This Time [9.1]
My Best [8.8]
Nolita Fairytale [8.7]
Come Undone [7.9]
The One [7.6]

Best Lyrics: Spring Street
Best Music: Home
Best Live: The One
                         This Time
Most Anticipated: This Time
Favourite Song: Fools Like Me

That was long  :lol:

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Reviews of Heroes and Thieves
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 07:49:36 pm »
Quote from: "PianoPlayer12"
11. More Than This: This is my FAVORITE song on the album. I absolute LOVE it!!!!! I think it was the PERFECT way to end the album. I think the "Let's make this a story.Let's live in the glory!" part is sooo beautiful.
This song is RIDICULOUSLY FANTASTIC!
11/10

LOL!
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

LimeTwister

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 07:52:29 pm »
Quote from: "portions.for.foxes"

I am curious to know how many dying water buffalo you have heard.

hahaha

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 07:55:56 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"

I am curious to know how many dying water buffalo you have heard.

hahaha

If you watch programs like Nature on PBS you'd be surprised.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 07:57:30 pm »

LOL omfg that was hilarious.lol

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

bumblebee429

• View Profile
Re: Fan Reviews of Heroes and Thieves
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 08:03:36 pm »
Quote from: "PianoPlayer12"
2. Hands On Me: This was a little different than i was expecting. I thought it would be more slowed down and full of strings, but it turned out to be a little more up tempo. However, i still really liked it. I also liked the backup voices during the chorus.
9/10

I agree. I thought Hands On Me would be more ballad-like. Trying to turn the song into an up tempo pop song has ruined the beauty of the song for me. I still prefer the piano-vocal that was full of emotion.

In general, i absolutely LOVE the new songs (maybe not My Best as much), but a couple of the older songs that we've already heard are a bit of a disappointment. Hopefully it's just that I need to get used to hearing studio recordings when I'm so used to live piano vocals.

Stand out favourites: Spring Street, Come Undone, Fools Like Me and Home (this is the one instance where the studio recording is far better than the piano vocal)

LOVE the new sound. AMAZING album.

HeroesAndThieves

• love plastic love
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 01:51:08 am »
I'm going to edit my previous post, because my preception on the album has changed ALOT after listening to it in full around 9 times.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 03:34:13 am »
I've been reading really good reviews on some forums from people, saying she delivered and that it's a feel-good album, etc. I haven't read a bad one (yet).

I'm glad V hasn't strayed from who she is! <3

Twilight_Angel

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 04:58:11 am »
Nolita Fairytale: 8/10. Its a brilliant song but I have overplayed it, so I'm putting it down a mark cause of that!

Hands on me: 9/10. I didn't see what was special about the live versions, but the album version is great!  8)  really really nice!

Spring Street: 8/10. I actually quite like this song after hearing it a few times! it has more to come. It is growing on me =]

My Best: 8/10. I actually didnt like it at all to begin with but now I think it IS catchy =] nice melody.

Come Undone: 9/10. Amazing melody. Especially the beginning part.

The One: 9/10. What can I say? amazing live and even better recorded.

Heroes and thieves: 9/10. I really love how they have improved it! Its amazing. One of my faves.

This time: 9/10. I love this song. It's the same as the promosquad clip I think. Im glad they didnt change it.

Fools like me:9/10 I dont really like the intro, but its still amazing, I love the 'tick tock the time' part the most =]

Home: 8/10 Its good, but drags on a little. Well if i have time to just focus on it it's better but on my ipod I have to change it early.

More then this: 9/10 Well I havent listened to it much, but so far It Is AMAZING.

OVERALL....

Vanessa is a genius. Absolutely brilliant, she has completely lived up to my expectations!

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Now Found!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bionicledwarf
    • View Profile
    • Email
wow
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 06:08:22 am »
I am floored! I'm about 3 tracks in and it is simply brilliant and amazing and her best work to date!

Mike
.........the one and only!

PutYourHandsOnMe101

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 06:14:22 am »
Nolita Fairytale 9/10 - We've all heard this one. I like this song and I love the drum beat.

Hands On Me 10/10 - I love how this turned out! It is more upbeat but it's got such a cool eerie vibe.

Spring Street 10/10 - I have to say that I love the nananananana's! A very bittersweet song but it's really catchy.

My Best 9/10 - A sweet and nice song. I love at the end when she says "it's like you never left"! Good stuff!

Come Undone 9.5/10 - A really feel-good song! It's uplifting and V has some great vocals in it. Love the piano in this one.

The One 9/10 - A very spooky kind airy opening. I like how the song has some darker qualities now and nice strings. Stevie's vocals don't ruin it for me.

Heroes and Thieves 10/10 - Love this song even more now. It's the perfect song to represent the album. Very, very nice strings.

This Time 9/10 - It's a lot like the Promosquad clip we heard but not as overproduced. I like it, especially the bridge.

Fools Like Me 9.5/10 - The opening is not at all what i expected. It is very upbeat but I like it. I love the vocals when goes for the "It's breaking..." part!

Home 10/10 - Amazing! I love how this came out! The song really builds up and I love what she added at the end! I love the string instrument they added to this, don't know what it is but I love it!

More Than This 10/10 - This is an uplifting song. It's the perfect end to the album and I am blown away.

Heroes & Thieves overall  10/10 - It's definitely worth waiting so long for! The album is so much above what I hoped it would be! It is very cohesive and there is no filler on the album at all. Every single track is worth listening again and again. This record just replaced Harmonium as my favorite!
and if you don't believe me... just Put Your Hands On Me