Poll

Would you rather have an Automatic or Manual car?

I would rather drive a Manual Transmission car
11 (32.4%)
I would rather drive an Automatic Transmission car
23 (67.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: October 01, 2007, 07:44:11 pm

Author Topic: Automatic or Manual Car  (Read 14860 times)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2008, 08:26:21 pm »
Quote from: "tylor2000"
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
You can push start an automatic....or at least you could with the transmissions I've known.  The problem is you have to get the car over 20 or 30 miles an hour so the transmission fluid is spinning.  If you are on top of a hill you can sometimes get the car to start.  It's not good for the car as well.  But neither is push starting a manual.

Well, yeah, I suppose that's possible.  The whole reason you can't normally push-start an automatic is because once the engine is turned off, fluid pressure is lost.  If you can get up enough speed to build up pressure in the torque converter, it could cause the flywheel to turn.  I have had an automatic to restart rolling down the highway simply by turning on the key and shifting back into drive from neutral.  What I was doing in neutral rolling down the highway with the key off is none of your business. 8)

I think we have had this conversation before in the past...

I'm starting to remember...I had this Dogde Omni(small car) that I used to push start all the time.  I forget why I had to push start it all the time, but I remember purposely parking it on the top of a slight downhill grade just so I could push it to 25 mph and jump start it. Only someone like me would find a way to push start an automatic.  Or fix a car with rope.  Duck tape is very useful.  :razz:

I'm going to grab my Buick this week and see if I can do this.....
Dustin

tylor2000

• View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2008, 05:54:41 pm »
You can push start an automatic....or at least you could with the transmissions I've known.  The problem is you have to get the car over 20 or 30 miles an hour so the transmission fluid is spinning.  If you are on top of a hill you can sometimes get the car to start.  It's not good for the car as well.  But neither is push starting a manual.

Well, yeah, I suppose that's possible.  The whole reason you can't normally push-start an automatic is because once the engine is turned off, fluid pressure is lost.  If you can get up enough speed to build up pressure in the torque converter, it could cause the flywheel to turn.  I have had an automatic to restart rolling down the highway simply by turning on the key and shifting back into drive from neutral.  What I was doing in neutral rolling down the highway with the key off is none of your business. 8)

I'm starting to remember...I had this Dogde Omni(small car) that I used to push start all the time.  I forget why I had to push start it all the time, but I remember purposely parking it on the top of a slight downhill grade just so I could push it to 25 mph and jump start it. Only someone like me would find a way to push start an automatic.  Or fix a car with rope.  Duck tape is very useful.  :razz:

As long as I'm not held responsible when it breaks.  ;)  I think pressure builds up more efficiently with the flywheel, but on some cars it will do so enough to crank the engine over with the shaft.  You don't need much...you are just spinning the engine, not driving the wheels.  The problem with automatics is they are more delicate and if you try this it could break a spring...but i did it many times with no problems.  Good luck.

zurielshimon

• View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2008, 10:49:36 pm »

As long as I'm not held responsible when it breaks.  ;)  I think pressure builds up more efficiently with the flywheel, but on some cars it will do so enough to crank the engine over with the shaft.  You don't need much...you are just spinning the engine, not driving the wheels.  The problem with automatics is they are more delicate and if you try this it could break a spring...but i did it many times with no problems.  Good luck.

I'm about to get a new transmission anyway because the one that's in it is toast, so I may go ahead and try it before it goes under the wrench.
Dustin

tylor2000

• View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2008, 03:45:06 pm »
Cool.  Let us know how it goes.  Hopefully it doesn't drop off because then you have to pick it up off the ground and push it aside or carry it back while you tow your car.   :wink: If you don't hear from me it's because I'm going to go hide and not post on here.

zurielshimon

• View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2008, 11:26:38 pm »
I was gonna get my Buick tonight and see if I could bring it home, but it's gonna have to be jump-started, so maybe I'll just wait till tomorrow to play with it.
Dustin

tylor2000

• View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2008, 12:58:56 pm »
Since I'm posting on the board at the moment, how did your transmission take it?

zurielshimon

• View Profile
Automatic or Manual Car
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2008, 10:31:37 pm »
Never got the chance.  Couldn't get the damned thing to start.  But it doesn't matter one way or another because I just got word that they got the title to the parts car Oldsmobile today and they're going to start tearing it down and get my "new" transmission out of it.
Dustin