Author Topic: Vanessa's Web Site -- (Discuss here!)  (Read 97453 times)

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Vanessa's Web Site -- (Discuss here!)
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2007, 12:23:13 am »
I don't want any of her music to leak out.  At least we know things are really rolling along.  Just be patient, and in a little over a month we can hear the single and cheer it on and watch it go up the charts.  I know she said she will keep making music no matter how big the album but if you like her music and want her to do well we just have to be patient so they can be ready for the blitz.  If Irv is behind her as much as we keep hearing then I think she will do well.  Support real music!

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2007, 09:46:57 am »
Unfortunately nearly every album leaks prior to its release date, I really don't think there's much any of us or the record label can do in preventing a leak. Let's just hope that the album is good enough so that it'll warrant a purchase from those who will download it. And if it's given enough promotion I'm sure people who don't know how to use file sharing programs such as bittorrent will go to stores to purchase it.

I remember when Harmonium leaked I was all very annoyed with you guys from attempting to keep the files to yourselves in an effort to prevent it from leaking further. lol So I found a bittorrent of the album and downloaded it that way. Haha. I still purchased the album though, naturally. Actually I pre-ordered it at the Vanessa show I went to and she signed the little album cover slip that you recieved with the pre-order.

ANYWAYS, my point is, if people really want to download Heroes and Thieves, they'll find a way to download it. We can only hope that they'll purchase the album as well.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

KULPDOGG

• View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2007, 01:16:06 pm »
strange, the photos are still accessible...

example:
http://www.vanessacarlton.com/gallery/Photos/photo1.htm

I tried other things, but I kept getting the Forbidden error.

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2007, 03:21:28 pm »
Well ive been told that the wesite should be up soon. :)

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

itsthefiveofus

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2007, 08:37:00 pm »
Quote from: "PianoPlayer12"
Well ive been told that the wesite should be up soon. :)

who told you?

and freaky on that photo! lol

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2007, 09:18:24 pm »
i dont really know if im allowed to say who.... but they know what they are talking about, so it is a reliable source...

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2007, 05:28:10 am »
Quote from: "portions.for.foxes"
Unfortunately nearly every album leaks prior to its release date, I really don't think there's much any of us or the record label can do in preventing a leak. Let's just hope that the album is good enough so that it'll warrant a purchase from those who will download it. And if it's given enough promotion I'm sure people who don't know how to use file sharing programs such as bittorrent will go to stores to purchase it.

I remember when Harmonium leaked I was all very annoyed with you guys from attempting to keep the files to yourselves in an effort to prevent it from leaking further. lol So I found a bittorrent of the album and downloaded it that way. Haha. I still purchased the album though, naturally. Actually I pre-ordered it at the Vanessa show I went to and she signed the little album cover slip that you recieved with the pre-order.

ANYWAYS, my point is, if people really want to download Heroes and Thieves, they'll find a way to download it. We can only hope that they'll purchase the album as well.

Why do albums keep leaking?

Twilight_Angel

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2007, 11:11:44 am »
what many people do it hear a few songs off the album...then download about 5 that are heard of alot. So they dont give the rest of the album a chance.

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2007, 06:03:11 pm »
Quote from: "tylor2000"

It basically boils down to an issue of money, much like everything else in the world. People don't want to pay the inflated prices for CDs, so they find other means aquiring them. When a CD leaks it's usually an advance copy of the album sent out to radio stations and such, and someone will get ahold of it and distribute it online. *Shrugs* Such is the way of the failing music industry.

I mean, years and years ago when an album reached number 1, the numbers needed to achieve that were quite the feat. Now albums that reach number 1 can barely maintain that position because number 1 albums are lucky to even sell 50,000-100,000 copies on their debut week. The Internet has changed things enormously. iTunes has also impacted the music industry in a negative way. Now instead of purchasing an album, you can pick and choose the songs you like from an album. And these sales aren't figured into sales charts either.

iTunes is an interesting thing, it's great and convieniant sure, but it's forced the music industry to morph and change in ways to suit Apple and iTunes, not artists. I'm ranting again, I'll shut up. lol
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2007, 07:13:45 pm »
Quote from: "tylor2000"

It basically boils down to an issue of money, much like everything else in the world. People don't want to pay the inflated prices for CDs, so they find other means aquiring them. When a CD leaks it's usually an advance copy of the album sent out to radio stations and such, and someone will get ahold of it and distribute it online. *Shrugs* Such is the way of the failing music industry.

I mean, years and years ago when an album reached number 1, the numbers needed to achieve that were quite the feat. Now albums that reach number 1 can barely maintain that position because number 1 albums are lucky to even sell 50,000-100,000 copies on their debut week. The Internet has changed things enormously. iTunes has also impacted the music industry in a negative way. Now instead of purchasing an album, you can pick and choose the songs you like from an album. And these sales aren't figured into sales charts either.

iTunes is an interesting thing, it's great and convieniant sure, but it's forced the music industry to morph and change in ways to suit Apple and iTunes, not artists. I'm ranting again, I'll shut up. lol

I remember about the advanced copy situation.  You would think they would learn to use the internet to their advantage instead to their determent.  They could use a secure website with login names for people who need to listen to albums in advance that stream the music instead of giving a download or hard copy.  It doesn't totally solve the problem because people could rip it off the stream but there are things people can to try and do to solve the problem of leaking albums.  They would just have to consult the right software companies and IT professionals to find a way to make it safe to share copies with a much reduced risk of there being the same problems there is now.  Banks use internet banking, why can't record companies do the same?  They could steam it and then also send them a program the radio stations use on the computers they stream on to make sure there isn't ways to transfer the streams, rip them, ect., ect.

I don't know enough about i-tunes to know how to solve that problem.  I don't have or ever have had an i-pod.

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2007, 07:28:38 pm »
I see the issue of pre-release leaks as distinct from that of piracy in general. I make no apologies about downloading pre-releases. I don't do it because I'm cheap (although, I am). I do it because I'm anxious to hear the new music. Of course, once the album drops, I will do the right thing. I preordered Harmonium long before I downloaded a leak of it.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2007, 01:25:07 am »
please.. i hardly feel sorry for the record companies. there's tons of money in the music industry. the problem isn't distributing the music properly, it's about properly distributing profits. besides, most record companies only care about putting music on the radio that is immediately appealing, crap that sounds the same because most people don't like hearing something that's different. I think illegal downloading will be beneficial to the music industry in the long run as it gives indie bands a chance to get their music to the masses, and at the same time diminishes the power of the major labels.

rainforestspirit

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/nessacarltonfan/
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2007, 02:27:44 pm »
Quote from: "me and my piano---tim"
please.. i hardly feel sorry for the record companies. there's tons of money in the music industry. the problem isn't distributing the music properly, it's about properly distributing profits. besides, most record companies only care about putting music on the radio that is immediately appealing, crap that sounds the same because most people don't like hearing something that's different. I think illegal downloading will be beneficial to the music industry in the long run as it gives indie bands a chance to get their music to the masses, and at the same time diminishes the power of the major labels.

I second that!!!

I guess one way to solve the itunes problem is just to record how many times a song is downloaded on itunes/napster and then just add that number to sales for the record. It's the same as if someone is just buying the CD of the single - they are just buying the mp3 of the single instead. itunes and napster already keep track of this number so it shouldn't be that hard to transfer the music industry. it is just a matter if they want to do it or not - paying for the person to transfer the numbers and varify that they are true or something...

itsthefiveofus

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2007, 03:57:57 pm »
i dont really know if im allowed to say who.... but they know what they are talking about, so it is a reliable source...

ok thats very mysterouis totally spelled wrong those last two words anywho thats pretty cool

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2007, 04:27:52 pm »
Quote from: "itsthefiveofus"

ok thats very mysterouis totally spelled wrong those last two words anywho thats pretty cool

do you mean i spelt reliable source wrong?? lol or that you spelt mysterious wrong? hahahah