Author Topic: meet her?  (Read 24823 times)

sabasaba

Re: mh
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2011, 06:10:09 pm »
She also seems very introspective and thoughtful, if not old fashioned and I think this is why she doesn't necessarily use technology to her advantage and stay in touch with her fans as others do.  She's not the type to make a tweet every time she goes to the bathroom.  I mean, wouldn't you rather have these clever, witty, thoughtful tweets that keep us guessing and in discussion (and to look up who the heck Jack K is and then maybe expand our own minds by reading him as well?) than to know every move she makes?  I don't think she'd be the V we love if she were to do that.  

( I posted this in "will you still be a fan after heros and thieves)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

sabasaba

Re: meet her?
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2011, 06:34:40 pm »
I would just suggest if you plan on seeing any of Vanessa's new shows, you provide your opinion again on whether or not you still think she is a "snob."  your examples are from the '02 and '04 years and i have seen a very large change in Vanessa since that time.  She was so busy and so in high demand around those years and struggling to figure out who she was... every show i've seen from 07 to 11 she has come out to talk, sign, take pictures, etc.  I'm not saying this is going to be the norm now for *every* show but it certainly seems to be a more recent pattern.

Calvin -- who do you miss?  there are a bunch of folks still around that i've seen coming out of the woodworks. :)  and really, who are these humble fans you speak of on the oboard?! usually the oboard was just plagued with spam and bickering (which now seems to have moved here... lol great!)

-katia

I agree with Katia's theory about Vanessa being relatively busier during the earlier years of her career. That was my initial thought when I read about alanisrox69's encounters, as well. Her rise to fame after 'A Thousand Miles' was quick, but her "fall" was arguably quicker. Especially after Harmonium flopped (financially). Her career path hasn't been an easy walk, particularly during her growing years. She must have gone through a period of uncertainty; trying to achieve a balance between her glory years and her current ones. She even spoke about going through depression. It's hard to adapt. She's a human being. I believe that she is more at peace with herself and the state of her career at the moment, which explains why she's been more than generous with her time during most of her live shows these past few years. Based on my personal experience, she's been great.

Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:59:11 pm by Saba »

sabasaba

Re: re
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 06:42:11 pm »
@alanisrox69: I would like to apologize to you and state that at one point Nessaholics were NOT this irregularly fanatical, and we were very diverse, respectful and accepting of others' disagreement on VC.

... wow to think back, that was a long long time ago, when her official forum during the Harmonium era was filled with very different but humble fans.
now it is scary to read comments of these hard-core VC fans and see how blindly they are in attacking absolutely anyone who just does not praise Vanessa as THE Goddess.
sad sad sad. Shame on the rest of Vanessa's fans. if she has any. because yup you are right, alanisrox69, Vanessa Carlton is not the nicest idol out there. Which is completely fine by me. but the it is the reactions of these obsessed Nessaholics that turned me against Vanessa herself. and the community has been dwindling down ever since these hardcore fans took over.

I miss the old friends on these boards. I wonder if they still care enough for VC to sometimes check the forum now that she is releasing a new album.

I hope you realize I was not "blindly attacking absolutely anyone"  I didn't post anything on the AM boards that wasn't polite.  And I don't think I've ever posted anything here that wasn't polite or phrased with "in my opinion" or "I think" because I don't want to state something as absolute fact.  I think it's a shame that you feel the need to talk down to us and that we would be the reason not to support Vanessa.  I have not been an official nessaholic since the beginning but ever since I have, I've been greeted with open arms and I may be wrong, but most of the same people who started this website are still here.  For the most part, there isn't even bashing of other artists, and when someone does, they apologize saying, "Im a music snob" or I really just don't prefer that type of music, etc.  I saw none of that.  Everyone was just joining in! oh well, that's why you're there, and we're here.  I have learned to just not go to other boards.

Yeah, this isn't the first jab I've read against the new "obsessed NESSAholics", and frankly, I don't think they're very polite. It's unwise to generalize. I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, granted that they don't undeservedly hurt others. I consider myself a "hardcore VC fan", but it really depends on your definition of hardcore. I'm not obnoxious about it. I don't consider Vanessa "THE Goddess". She is an exceptionally talented musician, not to mention a uniquely creative intellect, and I admire her for being both. That is not to say she isn't flawed. Not because she's Vanessa Carlton, but because she's a human being. We need to respect her circumstances, whatever they were/may be in the future.

OPENROAD

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2011, 07:39:51 pm »
I would just suggest if you plan on seeing any of Vanessa's new shows, you provide your opinion again on whether or not you still think she is a "snob."  your examples are from the '02 and '04 years and i have seen a very large change in Vanessa since that time.  She was so busy and so in high demand around those years and struggling to figure out who she was... every show i've seen from 07 to 11 she has come out to talk, sign, take pictures, etc.  I'm not saying this is going to be the norm now for *every* show but it certainly seems to be a more recent pattern.

)

-katia

I agree with Katia's theory about Vanessa being relatively busier during the earlier years of her career. That my initial thought when I read about alanisrox69's encounters, as well. Her rise to fame after 'A Thousand Miles' was quick, but her "fall" was arguably quicker. Especially after Harmonium flopped (financially). Her career path hasn't been an easy walk, particularly during her growing years. She must have gone through a period of uncertainty; trying to achieve a balance between her glory years and her current ones; she even spoke about going through depression. It's hard to adapt. She's a human being. I believe that she is more at peace with herself and the state of her career at the moment, which explains why she's been more than generous with her time during most of her live shows these past few years. Based on my personal experience, she's been great.

Just my two cents.
Very well said . Although I bought ATM when it first came out, I'm only a Vanessa fan for a year (though I'm a huge fan now  ;) ),so missed her first time round, so don't know what she was like then. I think it is also important to remember she was very young during that period, still really growing as an individual, I'm certainly a different person now in my 30's then I was in my early 20's.

The impression I get from reading posts on this board and from those who have been to gigs is that she seems to be quite willing to take time to meet with fans and sign autographs etc..  I would imagine that Vanessa is not really a well known celeb and so can pretty much walk around New York and it would be a very rare occasion that she might have a fan come up to her? Though if a fan did go up to her given that it would be quite rare, I am sure she would be approachable.

I have often gone up very famous soccer players in London in well known department stores, just to say that I am a fan and to thank them for giving me so much joy, I have always been extra polite to them when I have approached them  and apologetic for disturbing them, I find if you follow this approach, the person will be just as nice back to you, always keep it simple and brief.

Never too late to change the pace
oh how the days creep up on you
but the goodness is something you don't have to chase
cause its following you

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2011, 10:28:14 am »
I've met her several times.  As many have said here, sometimes she comes out, sometimes she doesn't.  It's not a requirement, and it does not matter what other artists do.  ANY artist has a life outside of music and you just have zero idea of what else is happening.  Maybe the artist in question felt the show sucked, maybe there was a fight with a family member or friend, maybe the record company was busting balls....it could be a hundred things.

The first time I met her, she said HI and chatted briefly to a group of us and excused herself.   I'm assuming she had to go schmooze with a roomful of (I guess)industry people, because that is what I saw her do.  This is the way the game is played.

A few times, she just went into the bus or waiting cab.  But I have seen this with many artists.  Was I disappointed?  Sure, but it's how it goes.  If you see a show and she has time, great.  If not, don't take it personally, sit down, and have a sandwich.

Dan/NS

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2011, 11:39:10 am »
CASE IN POINT. She's not a 'snob'. First hand experience that she is no snob.
Peace
Adriann

raacheeel

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/raacheeel
Meet and Greet?
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2011, 11:20:57 pm »
Does Vanessa usually meet fans after her shows? Just curious because I have yet to meet her and its been like 11 years since i started following her hahah

nessaddict21

• Make me high on lullabies
  • I'm looking for wisdom in all the wrong places;
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Meet and Greet?
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2011, 10:44:24 am »
She didn't at the last show I went to :P she just left through the back.

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2011, 10:39:36 am »
That's a bummer. At the SF Show we waited for an hour outside for her to come out and she finally did.
Peace
Adriann

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2011, 02:10:48 pm »
She usually hangs for a little bit post-show. I don't think she's around prior to the opening. I was fortunate enough to serendipitously run into her on a street corner in my city on the day of the show. Probably the best 5 minutes of my life.

Hope you get to meet her one day! We all deserve to. She. Is. Amazing.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:53:53 pm by pupmagic »

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2011, 11:53:27 am »
I have a big paper to write, so naturally I'm on here writing this intead...

I've only seen her live once, and it was at Ann Taylor for Fashion's Night Out last year (I was front row center - if anyone else tells you they were, they're lying hahaha).  I didn't meet her per se, but she certainly didn't come across as a snob to me.  While she was coming onstage, she walked right past me to get to the stairs (kind of weird that she had to walk through the crowd, but again it wasn't a real concert) and I said "hi, Vanessa!" really awkwardly and she said "hi" really awkwardly back.  Epic XD

After the "concert," she came back down the stairs and walked through the crowd.  She didn't walk very quickly, but it was clear she wasn't going to be signing autographs, taking pictures, etc.  The person next to me was crying (tears of joy, I guess - seems a bit odd to me, but I guess I'm not a superfan haha), and her friends were like "take a picture with my friend, she's such a big fan!"  It was clear Vanessa didn't want to, but she didn't want to be rude by being like "NO" so she was like "whaaat?" and acted like she didn't hear them, hahaha.  I then said "thank you" for the concert and gave her a little wave, and she waved back kinda as she walked off, and then she went downstairs to the VIP room (how many VIPs went to Ann Taylor that night, I can't imagine XD).  But yeah so no real interaction - actually I think she interacted with me more than with anyone else hahaha.  Yay for being assertive!

I mean, in her defense if you have to take a picture with one person, pretty soon you have to take a picture with EVERYONE, so it's not fair to do something for one (crying) girl that you won't do for anyone else.  But yeah, she didn't really interact with us.  And again in her defense, a lot of people were talking while she was playing - at one point she was even like "this is a soft song, so I'm not sure if I should play it since it's loud in here" (she was talking about London), so if I were her I probably wouldn't have been in the mood to interact, either.

Just my experience, I felt like sharing.  I thought she was perfectly nice, even if she didn't go out of her way to interact after the show.  I would've liked a picture, but I understand that these things happen.  It was a great concert, by the way!  Ari was looking goooood.

tl;dr: The takeaway is that she's a real person.  Sometimes she'll interact, sometimes she won't be in the mood to; sometimes she'll be outgoing and funny, and sometimes she'll just play her beautiful songs and not stay after.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:56:55 am by AlexanderLaska »

Onyx

• Let's make this our story
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2011, 12:47:41 pm »

I've only seen her live once, and it was at Ann Taylor for Fashion's Night Out last year (I was front row center - if anyone else tells you they were, they're lying hahaha).  I didn't meet her per se, but she certainly didn't come across as a snob to me.  While she was coming onstage, she walked right past me to get to the stairs (kind of weird that she had to walk through the crowd, but again it wasn't a real concert) and I said "hi, Vanessa!" really awkwardly and she said "hi" really awkwardly back.  Epic XD

After the "concert," she came back down the stairs and walked through the crowd.  She didn't walk very quickly, but it was clear she wasn't going to be signing autographs, taking pictures, etc.  The person next to me was crying (tears of joy, I guess - seems a bit odd to me, but I guess I'm not a superfan haha), and her friends were like "take a picture with my friend, she's such a big fan!"  It was clear Vanessa didn't want to, but she didn't want to be rude by being like "NO" so she was like "whaaat?" and acted like she didn't hear them, hahaha.  I then said "thank you" for the concert and gave her a little wave, and she waved back kinda as she walked off, and then she went downstairs to the VIP room (how many VIPs went to Ann Taylor that night, I can't imagine XD).  But yeah so no real interaction - actually I think she interacted with me more than with anyone else hahaha.  Yay for being assertive!

I mean, in her defense if you have to take a picture with one person, pretty soon you have to take a picture with EVERYONE, so it's not fair to do something for one (crying) girl that you won't do for anyone else.  But yeah, she didn't really interact with us.  And again in her defense, a lot of people were talking while she was playing - at one point she was even like "this is a soft song, so I'm not sure if I should play it since it's loud in here" (she was talking about London), so if I were her I probably wouldn't have been in the mood to interact, either.

Just my experience, I felt like sharing.  I thought she was perfectly nice, even if she didn't go out of her way to interact after the show.  I would've liked a picture, but I understand that these things happen.  It was a great concert, by the way!  Ari was looking goooood.

tl;dr: The takeaway is that she's a real person.  Sometimes she'll interact, sometimes she won't be in the mood to; sometimes she'll be outgoing and funny, and sometimes she'll just play her beautiful songs and not stay after.
Cause once you do something for one person, you have to do it for everyone else. Other wise it wouldn't be fair.  :)

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2011, 06:10:13 pm »

Cause once you do something for one person, you have to do it for everyone else. Other wise it wouldn't be fair.  :)

Right, that's what I said haha

Onyx

• Let's make this our story
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2011, 07:46:49 pm »

Right, that's what I said haha
lol, I know  :P

equeen1022

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • AOL Instant Messenger - amber102208
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2011, 02:48:44 pm »
Since Vanessa is the opening act for Matt Nathanson, does she leave the venue right after her set, or does she wait until his is over? I would like to try to meet her, but I'm not sure when I should be standing outside.
~*Amber*~

'Cause I lose my way searching for stage lights...