Author Topic: Piano used to record "ATM"?  (Read 8628 times)

pswik91

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Piano used to record "ATM"?
« on: November 12, 2007, 07:39:59 pm »
I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but I seen something about the piano she uses on her tour, but I'm curious to know what piano Vanessa used to record ATM?  I really am in love with the sound and quality of it.  Someone please help me if you can!

Thanks!

Phil

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 07:53:24 pm »
there is a topic for this but it is a specially made yamaha. the one in the video I believe is a sohmer & sons, and the one in Nolita Fairtale video is not a piano. the one in her house is a yamaha too specially made. The concert version has a clasinova midi box on the bottom so you hear more of that than the actual piano
Peace
-S

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:57:58 am »
It was the studio's Yamaha.  This is covered in the 2002 Keyboard magazine article(the one where VC is on the cover).  It's essential VC.  It talks about recording BNN quite a bit, gets into the use of Pro Tools, etc.

Dan

pswik91

• View Profile
ok
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 07:16:07 pm »
well is it possible you could tell me the name of the yamaha brand? because i'm going to get a new piano for christmas and i wanna look at one with that particular sound.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Re: ok
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 10:57:50 am »
Quote from: "pswik09"
well is it possible you could tell me the name of the yamaha brand? because i'm going to get a new piano for christmas and i wanna look at one with that particular sound.

They don't mention which one it is.  For drummers, they'll say "Ludwig Drums" and leave it at that.  It's no help, ha ha!

The important thing to remember is that when you're listening to a finished record, you're not hearing the pure sound of ANY instrument.  It's the sound of the room, the mic, the preamp, the mixing board, EQ, compression, etc......and that doesn't take mastering into account.

I had a Yamaha upright for years(my dad has it now) and they are made amazingly consistently.  I'm prejudiced, though: my favorite drumset is Yamaha, as well.  

My suggestion, if you have thousands to spend, is to get out there and play as many different brands as possible.  There's so many breathtakingly good ones out there!  But there is something about Yamaha.  They're a company that seems to make almost everything crazy good.

Dan/NS

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 11:15:59 am »
I hate Yamaha piano's, they're too bright.

Also keep in mind that the piano Vanessa's been using recently and keeps in her apartment is not a good indicator as to how Yamaha's sound (I realize this wasn't the piano used for the ATM recording, lol, it's a general statement). Yes, her piano is a Yamaha but it's a Yamaha that was made specifically for her and she specified the tone that she wanted. Which is a more dark, mellow, richer tone. Yamaha's never actually sound like that, they're always extremely bright and thin sounding. :/

To each their own though. It's a matter of personal preference. lol

And I really don't think nearly everything they produce is crazy good either, their keyboards are so gimmicky. lol
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 02:26:22 pm »
i love the piano in atm music video it looks beautiful

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 02:53:10 pm »
Quote from: "iluvvanessa"
i love the piano in atm music video it looks beautiful

Too bad the insides were ripped out of it so they could transport the piano more easily. lol It must be interesting to play a piano that makes no sound.

I wonder what Beehtoven would have to say on the subject, since he was deaf and all. "SILLY JUST LISTEN TO THE VIBRATIONS."

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 03:35:05 pm »
Quote from: "portions.for.foxes"

Also keep in mind that the piano Vanessa's been using recently and keeps in her apartment is not a good indicator as to how Yamaha's sound (I realize this wasn't the piano used for the ATM recording, lol, it's a general statement). Yes, her piano is a Yamaha but it's a Yamaha that was made specifically for her and she specified the tone that she wanted. Which is a more dark, mellow, richer tone. Yamaha's never actually sound like that, they're always extremely bright and thin sounding. :/

And I really don't think nearly everything they produce is crazy good either, their keyboards are so gimmicky. lol

So no love for Yamaha.  Gotcha!
Come now, you're gonna say you like Steinways.....correct?   :)
It's impossible not to.  I played a restored 9' grand from the early 1900's at a studio a few years ago.  That was an amazing instrument!

Dan/NS

ste_uel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 03:42:10 pm »
I kinda like Yamaha, my first keyboard was a yahama.  I got a Roland RS-9 a few months ago and I love it! it sounds great, like an acoustic piano.

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 03:43:49 pm »
Quote from: "nosticker"
Quote from: "portions.for.foxes"

So no love for Yamaha.  Gotcha!
Come now, you're gonna say you like Steinways.....correct?   :)
It's impossible not to.  I played a restored 9' grand from the early 1900's at a studio a few years ago.  That was an amazing instrument!

Dan/NS

Steinway's are a step up from Yamaha, but I actually prefer Bosendorfer pianos. And everytime I mention that people tend to ask me if I like Tori Amos, because she uses one. No, I don't like Tori Amos. lol I just like Bosendorfer.

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 03:44:52 pm »
Quote from: "ste_uel"
I kinda like Yamaha, my first keyboard was a yahama.  I got a Roland RS-9 a few months ago and I love it! it sounds great, like an acoustic piano.

Roland manufactures great digital pianos. Korg too. :)

pswik91

• View Profile
oh my
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 05:42:03 pm »
So what you're telling me is that if I want to get a piano with a nice sound like that I would have to get one custom made like Vanessa?  I don't wanna do that though lol I just want a nice affordable baby grand piano that sounds excellent when I play vanessa carlton and classical music cause that's about all I ever play on my gross tin sounding wurlitzer console. :roll:

edit:

On youtube there is a thing where it's like a behind the scenes on be not nobody where she talks about the album and places prince on a yamaha keyboard, is it that piano that she uses for atm?

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Re: oh my
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 06:00:44 pm »
Quote from: "pswik09"
So what you're telling me is that if I want to get a piano with a nice sound like that I would have to get one custom made like Vanessa?  I don't wanna do that though lol I just want a nice affordable baby grand piano that sounds excellent when I play vanessa carlton and classical music cause that's about all I ever play on my gross tin sounding wurlitzer console. :roll:

edit:

On youtube there is a thing where it's like a behind the scenes on be not nobody where she talks about the album and places prince on a yamaha keyboard, is it that piano that she uses for atm?

Haha, no, I'm not suggesting you do that. I'm saying that it shouldn't be something you base your decision off of.

If I was in your position I'd look into a Steinway. Steinway's have a great full-bodied sound that's just as pure sounding as a Yamaha, without being too bright depending on the model.

pswik91

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 06:02:47 pm »
but let's be realistic those aren't in my price range lol i'm looking for something between 500-12,000.  SO yeah I don't think I can find a steinway for that cheap lol