Author Topic: Piano used to record "ATM"?  (Read 9346 times)

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
Piano used to record "ATM"?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 06:07:59 pm »
Quote from: "pswik09"
but let's be realistic those aren't in my price range lol i'm looking for something between 500-12,000.  SO yeah I don't think I can find a steinway for that cheap lol

You want to buy a nice baby grand piano for 12,000? LOL Good luck. Even buying used that's tough.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

pswik91

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 06:19:53 pm »
yeah my piano teacher got her steinway for 4000 cause she said the guy didn't know how much it was worth and i was like omg lucky!

pswik91

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 06:24:12 pm »
or can you tell me how much it cost vanessa to make her piano in her apartment cause i love that quality to

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 07:43:46 pm »
or can you tell me how much it cost vanessa to make her piano in her apartment cause i love that quality to

Well, your instructor was extremely lucky, that's rare.

Haha, there's no way you're going to be able to afford a custom build with 12,000. Keep looking at used pianos and hopefully you'll find a suitable deal.

ste_uel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 10:18:32 pm »
Quote from: "portions.for.foxes"
Quote from: "ste_uel"
I kinda like Yamaha, my first keyboard was a yahama.  I got a Roland RS-9 a few months ago and I love it! it sounds great, like an acoustic piano.

Roland manufactures great digital pianos. Korg too. :)

I am still figuring out all the options that it has, its  8O

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 10:23:45 am »
A friend of mine found a music school that was selling off some of its pianos.  They had some kind of deal with Steinway, and sold off a few uprights, in good condition, after a year or so.  Check to see if there are any music schools selling off their pianos.

Again, don't look for ANY recorded piano to sound exactly like one you walk up to in a small music store.  Ain't gonna happen.  And again, the Yamaha VC played on ATM was the studio's piano.

Dan/NS

pswik91

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 12:51:35 pm »
thanks so much!

nienna131

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nienna131
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/nienna131
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 01:48:30 pm »
Quote from: "nosticker"
I hate Yamaha piano's, they're too bright.

Also keep in mind that the piano Vanessa's been using recently and keeps in her apartment is not a good indicator as to how Yamaha's sound (I realize this wasn't the piano used for the ATM recording, lol, it's a general statement). Yes, her piano is a Yamaha but it's a Yamaha that was made specifically for her and she specified the tone that she wanted. Which is a more dark, mellow, richer tone. Yamaha's never actually sound like that, they're always extremely bright and thin sounding. :/

To each their own though. It's a matter of personal preference. lol

And I really don't think nearly everything they produce is crazy good either, their keyboards are so gimmicky. lol

So no love for Yamaha.  Gotcha!
Come now, you're gonna say you like Steinways.....correct?   :)
It's impossible not to.  I played a restored 9' grand from the early 1900's at a studio a few years ago.  That was an amazing instrument!

Dan/NS

Steinway's are a step up from Yamaha, but I actually prefer Bosendorfer pianos. And everytime I mention that people tend to ask me if I like Tori Amos, because she uses one. No, I don't like Tori Amos. lol I just like Bosendorfer.

I love Bosendorfer AND Tori independantly of each other. Bosendorfer is THE BEST PIANO IN THE WORLD! Now for something actually helpful,,,,

BUY A NORDISKA!!! I bought mine brand new for about $7,500 [Including an artist's bench] And it's The Best AFFORDABLE Piano In The World!! I actually like it better than most Steinways I've played.[Steinway is over rated] Other pianos [Like Yamaha] cost double that amount or more, and are of horrible quality. Mines a polished 5' baby grand, and is hand made. Before you make a descision on any piano, play a Nordiska!

PEACE!
p.s. Shauna Burns plays a Nordiska in live concerts. Heres a good example of what one sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om48I1wcnas
 Although its a studio recording you can see her playing it live, and even though mine is only 5', it gives the exact same sound/resonance as her 7'. Nordiska is a small piano  that packs HUGE SOUND! We were amazed when they delivered it at how Loud this little 5' piano was! Hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK!

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 02:47:51 pm »
Quote from: "nienna131"
Quote from: "nosticker"
I hate Yamaha piano's, they're too bright.

Also keep in mind that the piano Vanessa's been using recently and keeps in her apartment is not a good indicator as to how Yamaha's sound (I realize this wasn't the piano used for the ATM recording, lol, it's a general statement). Yes, her piano is a Yamaha but it's a Yamaha that was made specifically for her and she specified the tone that she wanted. Which is a more dark, mellow, richer tone. Yamaha's never actually sound like that, they're always extremely bright and thin sounding. :/

To each their own though. It's a matter of personal preference. lol

And I really don't think nearly everything they produce is crazy good either, their keyboards are so gimmicky. lol

So no love for Yamaha.  Gotcha!
Come now, you're gonna say you like Steinways.....correct?   :)
It's impossible not to.  I played a restored 9' grand from the early 1900's at a studio a few years ago.  That was an amazing instrument!

Dan/NS

Steinway's are a step up from Yamaha, but I actually prefer Bosendorfer pianos. And everytime I mention that people tend to ask me if I like Tori Amos, because she uses one. No, I don't like Tori Amos. lol I just like Bosendorfer.

I love Bosendorfer AND Tori independantly of each other. Bosendorfer is THE BEST PIANO IN THE WORLD! Now for something actually helpful,,,,

BUY A NORDISKA!!! I bought mine brand new for about $7,500 [Including an artist's bench] And it's The Best AFFORDABLE Piano In The World!! I actually like it better than most Steinways I've played.[Steinway is over rated] Other pianos [Like Yamaha] cost double that amount or more, and are of horrible quality. Mines a polished 5' baby grand, and is hand made. Before you make a descision on any piano, play a Nordiska!

PEACE!
p.s. Shauna Burns plays a Nordiska in live concerts. Heres a good example of what one sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om48I1wcnas
 Although its a studio recording you can see her playing it live, and even though mine is only 5', it gives the exact same sound/resonance as her 7'. Nordiska is a small piano  that packs HUGE SOUND! We were amazed when they delivered it at how Loud this little 5' piano was! Hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK!

Nordiska's are HORRIBLE pianos. Jesus christ.

A chinese company bought out the original Swedish or Finnish company (I forget), and now produces them, that's why they're so cheap. The company bears little resemblance to the original company now as a result, and the same can be said for their pianos.

How did you get a baby grand for $7,500 when I see Nordiska uprights going for that same amount? :? I'm curious.

However, because they're so affordable it's probably in the interest of the OP to consider purchasing one. Nordiska's are just decent, they're nothing special. You need to decide what you plan on getting out of the instrument, how long you'll keep playing, and the types of music you intend to perform.

Nordiska's are an okay short term investment for beginners (and that's saying a lot from me because I hate them, lol), but a few years down the line if you continue to play, you'll notice the short comings of that instrument, so you've been warned.

Nordiska's never meet the expectations of concert pianists though, the majority of classically trained musicians I've spoken to hate them too. Haha.

pswik91

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 06:55:13 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohRaBB81UPc

can anyone tell me what yamaha brand that piano is V is playing on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7bcjUNIFyA
and what about this one? is this her piano or one she takes on tour? i like this sound but the one above will do! :lol:

nienna131

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 09:44:48 pm »
Well, I know its not THE BEST piano in the world, and I don't know what kind of a horrible Nordiska you've played because mine sounds and feels 10x more amazing than any friggin' Yamaha! [Regardless of how crappy the companys become...]

I bought mine at AZ piano [ http://www.azpiano.com/ ] And trust me when I say the don't sell crap pianos. We got a deal because we traded in a really old Chickering for it, and they gave us wholesale price + an artists bench.

I plan on studying classical and pop/rock music, and am currently saving up for a Bosendorfer. I hope to have one before I'm 26, and at what they go for on Ebay, I very well may.

PEACE!

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 09:58:25 pm »
Ah, so you traded a piano in, that explains the price you got.

And I don't know what world you're living in but Nordiska's can barely compare to a toy piano, nevermind a Yamaha. lol

In summary, Nordiska's are still horrible pianos. :P

nienna131

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 12:44:57 am »
Yeah, Its no Bosendorfer! I get it,,,sorry I can't afford an $80-200,000 piano for my humble abode. lf she wants a baby grand piano for no more than $12,000, thats the best one for the money there is.
 I'll buy a Yamaha,,,,,,IN HELL!  :roll:  

PEACE!
p.s. The piano I traded in was barely worth $500.

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2007, 02:19:19 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohRaBB81UPc

can anyone tell me what yamaha brand that piano is V is playing on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7bcjUNIFyA
and what about this one? is this her piano or one she takes on tour? i like this sound but the one above will do! :lol:

Dude, listen, it's not a matter of what you like, it's a matter of what you can afford.

The first piano is way out of your price range, and the second piano is actually V's personal piano from her apartment that Yamaha custom built for her, she takes it with her on tour.

You need to give up on the idea of buying a baby grand piano if you're serious about purchasing a piano, you're only realistic chances of getting a baby grand is getting a Nordiska. Just because your piano instructor found a deal for $4000 dollars doesn't mean you will.

Wake up, you need to look into buying a nice upright piano. Some uprights sound better  than baby grands tbh. If you look at uprights, which are more affordable, you'll have a greater list of options. I understand you're only 16 and don't know much about this stuff, but you have to start acquiring some sort of semblance of what you can actually purchase and cannot.

Edit -

If you really want a baby grand, since they look pretty (which is the only reason why I think you're so dead set on getting one instead of an upright), try renting one.

pswik91

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2007, 10:00:41 am »
well i'm actually not buying this piano i'm telling my parents which one to buy me for christmas/ super early birthday present along with a new car. and i'm really sick of uprights they all sound to tinny and like clanky when i play them