Author Topic: The New York Diet- Article  (Read 5395 times)

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
The New York Diet- Article
« on: November 30, 2007, 08:17:58 am »
http://nymag.com/daily/food/2007/11/singersongwriter_vanessa_carlt_1.html

"I went to Ruby’s and had another espresso."Photo:Melissa Hom
In her single “Nolita Fairytail,” Vanessa Carlton sings about her love of “Ruby's in the afternoon”— a reference to her favorite neighborhood hang. “It’s the best people-watching,” she says of Ruby’s. “Everyone looks like they’re out of an editorial shoot for some hip magazine. But it’s not posey.” Other favorites near the “Nolita flat on rent control” she famously exalts? La Esquina (“I love to get takeout or to just sit at the front taco bar”), Freemans (“I think it wins the devils-on-horseback competition with the Spotted Pig”), and N (“the best chorizo I’ve ever had”). We asked her whether this week found her at any of the above.

Saturday, November 24
I was in Montreal — it was the last show of the tour. I got this baked rotisserie chicken and pomegranates and a chickpea salad with some herbs. It was all fresh and organic. The star of the cuisine on the bus is — I’ve started infusing my own vodka. I’m quite a vodka drinker — my Russian-Jewish roots are basically saturated in it. I have this container, and I infuse it with pomegranate seeds and raspberries. That’s my post-show reward. And I had two chocolate-chip cookies from Subway.

Sunday, November 25
Every morning when I’m home I have a double espresso from either Balthazar or Starbucks depending on which line is shorter. I don’t care what it tastes like; I just prefer the effects. And I’ll get Stonyfield yogurt with an amazing granola, Kingslake & Crane, that they sell at Dean & DeLuca. It has a burgundy ribbon around it — it’s a whole ceremony. It’s chock-full of nuts and cranberries, and I’ll put pomegranate seeds in there. Having yogurt every morning makes my skin better — it’s super-healthy.

At 2:30 p.m. I went to the gym and came back and had wasabi peas and whole-wheat Finn crisps with Gruyère three hours later.

I met friends at the Strip House. I had a beautiful bottle of Pinot Noir and a tomato-red-onion salad followed by a porterhouse steak (I was experimenting). I realize that I'm not much of a steak-on-the-bone eater (chicken on a bone is a different story, however). The sides were extraordinary and so extravagant: potatoes fried in duck fat and creamed spinach with truffle oil.

Then I went to Beatrice Inn as usual and had two Little West 12th drinks. They are light and cucumberish and deadly.

Monday, November 26
I had a double espresso at Balthazar and then my granola. Café Fanny in Berkeley makes her own granola mix as well, and I mix it with the Kingslake because there are more sunflower seeds in hers. I’m very finicky about this.

I worked all day and at 3 p.m. I went to Ruby’s and had my favorite chicken-pumpkin salad and another espresso. My girlfriend came over — it was her birthday — and we had some vodka before going out across the street to Mexican Radio— it’s low-key on Monday. I had two margaritas, their good guacamole, and chicken fajitas with pinto beans.

Tuesday, November 27
I had the same breakfast. (I need the morning thing to be the same even if it happens in the afternoon.) I had grilled salmon at 3 p.m. when I got hungry again (I had picked it up from Dean & DeLuca the day before) and some artichokes — it’s like $10 for four of them, but it’s worth it.

I met my friends for happy hour on Aurora — it’s this secret because they always put out all these hors d’oeuvre for anyone who sits at the bar. They’re so yummy. They had a grilled pita with white-bean dip. I got minestrone soup (it’s pretty hearty because there are noodles in it) and their artichoke salad with Pecorino shavings. And I had two martinis.

Wednesday, November 28
I’m on my way to the airport now. Something very colorful is going to happen today because I’m going to Vegas. The one redeeming quality about Vegas is that they do have good restaurants. I’m doing a showcase for Pepsi and meeting some of the executives — I’ll try to squeeze some absurd vintage wine out of them.
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 09:01:10 am »
"Nolita Fairytail".  WTF?!  She doesn't have a tail.
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 10:30:19 am »
Thanks!

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 10:31:42 am »
yeah, thanks...
interesting read

KeyboardGuy90

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 10:49:13 am »
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"
"Nolita Fairytail".  WTF?!  She doesn't have a tail.

:lol:

Yeah, interesting read. Thanks for posting it! :)

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 12:31:28 pm »
she eats some good stuff. I like a girl that eats good food.

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 12:52:51 pm »
For some reason I thought Vanessa was a vegitarian.   :?:
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

malchikgej

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - windsnoctourn
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nyubound101@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/windsnoctourn
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 02:13:21 pm »
Quote from: "Dancernl"
she was at one point...i think
~Your words circle in my head
And weigh so heavy on my chest
And I'm crushed by your expectation~

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
Re: The New York Diet- Article
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 02:18:45 pm »
Quote from: "joey"
Monday, November 26
I worked all day and at 3 p.m. I went to Ruby’s and had my favorite chicken-pumpkin salad and another espresso. My girlfriend came over — it was her birthday — and we had some vodka before going out across the street to Mexican Radio— it’s low-key on Monday. I had two margaritas, their good guacamole, and chicken fajitas with pinto beans.

Dang, I was actually around Ruby's (Spring st) on Monday afternoon!!  8O
I almost could have run into Vanessa, it would have been interesting!
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 02:37:56 pm »
ummm way too much information. im surprised she revealed all that

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
Re: The New York Diet- Article
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 03:14:40 pm »
Quote from: "Ghisy"
Quote from: "joey"
Monday, November 26

Dang, I was actually around Ruby's (Spring st) on Monday afternoon!!  8O
I almost could have run into Vanessa, it would have been interesting!

Ohhhhh that would've been sooo cool!!!

thanks for posting...i was just about to :)

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ManuelD

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 03:33:34 pm »
I want some chicken fajitas.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 03:47:16 pm »
I wish i lived in NY, i would like hang out at one of those restaraunts like all afternoon and just wait for vanessa to pop in. that would be so cool to see her walk into the door, i would die from excitement! i wanna go to NY soooooo bad just to see her.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 03:56:31 pm »
Quote from: "malchikgej"
Quote from: "Dancernl"
she was at one point...i think
I am 100% positive she was and i can prove it with this article

read the part at the top left.
if you cant read it it says: "But its so good! Stephen defends his hot dog(extra sauerkraut) from vegetarian Vanessa who nibbles on a pretzel. After the playful spot, the two hoped of into a cab and sped of to their next gig." well there ya go.....PS i still am a vegetarian! lol

charmedguy18

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »
I can't wait to go back to nyc to visit these places. All those hor d'oeuvres sound amazing.