Author Topic: Vanessa Q&A  (Read 1841 times)

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
Vanessa Q&A
« on: December 01, 2007, 11:39:11 pm »
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/streeter/entries/2007/12/my_exclusive_qa.html

My Exclusive Q&A with Vanessa Carlton!
Vanessa Carlton loves my cell phone ring!

I made that pleasant discovery that after I'd already left my very comfortable, very chill one-on-one with the singer/songwriter pianist following her fun set at Jennifer and Danny's No-Snow Ball at Cityplace Friday night. And it's because of my own goofiness - I'd just left the apartment where the interview took place and realized I'd forgotten my cell phone. I called it just to make sure, and then sheepishly knocked on the door, as a friend of Vanessa's was headed out to walk her cute little dog, Victor.

"Hi!" she said, as if it was absolutely normal.

"Uh, did you just hear The Fugees about thirty seconds ago?"

"I sure did!" Vanessa said brightly, opening the door so I could get past her to where my phone was sitting on the couch where I'd left it. "And good choice, by the way...'Killing me softly with his song, killing me softly..."

So thanks, Grammy-nominated Vanessa Carlton, for making what could have been a completely embarrassing situation sweet and song-filled. And for not siccing your cute little dog on me.

Before Killing Me Softlygate, Vanessa, whose third album "Heroes and Thieves" is out now, sunk into a comfy chair in front of a muted basketball game ("I wasn't watching sports; one of the boys had it on") and chatted with me about keeping your career fresh, befriending the new crop of up-and-comers and the challenges of performing in a mall during holiday shopping season.

Question: Are you doing a lot of these radio shows right now? Is there a difference between how you approach something like this and a show at a regular venue?
Answer: We're doing 13 of them, and there's not a lot of comparison. I just came off a club tour with Graham Colton, and in those shows, you perform in a vacuum. You have rapt attention (of the audience). I like to create a show that's intimate, like a full meal.
This (radio) was an extraordinary one, because sometimes you only get 30 minutes to play. Some of the Top 40 (station) shows even give you 15 minutes.

Q: Here, you not only had a whole hour, but you were singing basically in an outdoor mall. Is that distracting?
A: It's so cool - I always wonder if I can get them to stop walking and check out what's up. I do look (out into the audience) to see if I can do that.

Q: Obviously, you've been around for three albums now, but to some people you'll always be the girl who sang "A Thousand Miles" - there was an obnoxious drunk next to me yelling "Play your hit!" I guess at a free show that's gonna happen, but is that annoying? What do you do with that?
A: Something like this that's free - if anything, it's an opportunity to three-dimensionalize myself. The songs are so much bigger than the album. I want to have a full-bodied career...But (the success) of that album (2002's "Be Not Nobody") allowed me to make the most avant garde quirky song if I want, because I made this song that is a modern, quasi-classic.

Q: It really is. It's now even one a Zales commercial.
A: Yeah, I sold out (giggles.) They just wanted the melody, not me singing. They didn't license my recording - they rerecorded the piano part - so I still have the right to license my recording if I want.

Q: Cool. So five years after your first album, you've got such a recognizable song under your belt and now you're on a new label (The Inc.). What's it like to transition from being the hot new girl to being more established?
A:...When I was new, none of the older female singer/songwriters said "Hey, come have a drink with me." But there are so many new ones coming up, and I can't wait to hang out with them. It's been interesting as a singer/songwriter, getting to your third record. People have been so nice, and I've gotten some nice critics' praise. I've put out a consistent body of work.

Q: One more thing - I couldn't help but notice that gorgeous piece of fabric draped over the piano. It was such a nice touch.
A: It's Victorian lace from 1872. It takes a beating, but especially when I don't have my own piano - this one was rented - it says to me "Aww, I'm at home."

(is there anyway a sticky interview/article thread could be made??? just wondering....:) )[/list]

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
Vanessa Q&A
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 03:14:32 am »
Nice. Thanks for posting  :D

When I was new, none of the older female singer/songwriters said "Hey, come have a drink with me." But there are so many new ones coming up, and I can't wait to hang out with them. It's been interesting as a singer/songwriter, getting to your third record. People have been so nice, and I've gotten some nice critics' praise. I've put out a consistent body of work.

Aww, that's so sweet. Maybe that will be me one day, hehe (fingers crossed)  :D
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vanessa Q&A
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 11:29:42 pm »
Quote from: "PianoPlayer12"

I made that pleasant discovery that after I'd already left my very comfortable, very chill one-on-one with the singer/songwriter pianist following her fun set at Jennifer and Danny's No-Snow Ball at Cityplace Friday night. And it's because of my own goofiness - I'd just left the apartment where the interview took place and realized I'd forgotten my cell phone. I called it just to make sure, and then sheepishly knocked on the door, as a friend of Vanessa's was headed out to walk her cute little dog, Victor.

"Hi!" she said, as if it was absolutely normal.

"Uh, did you just hear The Fugees about thirty seconds ago?"

"I sure did!" Vanessa said brightly, opening the door so I could get past her to where my phone was sitting on the couch where I'd left it. "And good choice, by the way...'Killing me softly with his song, killing me softly..."

So thanks, Grammy-nominated Vanessa Carlton, for making what could have been a completely embarrassing situation sweet and song-filled. And for not siccing your cute little dog on me.

Before Killing Me Softlygate, Vanessa, whose third album "Heroes and Thieves" is out now, sunk into a comfy chair in front of a muted basketball game ("I wasn't watching sports; one of the boys had it on") and chatted with me about keeping your career fresh, befriending the new crop of up-and-comers and the challenges of performing in a mall during holiday shopping season.

Question: Are you doing a lot of these radio shows right now? Is there a difference between how you approach something like this and a show at a regular venue?
Answer: We're doing 13 of them, and there's not a lot of comparison. I just came off a club tour with Graham Colton, and in those shows, you perform in a vacuum. You have rapt attention (of the audience). I like to create a show that's intimate, like a full meal.
This (radio) was an extraordinary one, because sometimes you only get 30 minutes to play. Some of the Top 40 (station) shows even give you 15 minutes.

Q: Here, you not only had a whole hour, but you were singing basically in an outdoor mall. Is that distracting?
A: It's so cool - I always wonder if I can get them to stop walking and check out what's up. I do look (out into the audience) to see if I can do that.

Q: Obviously, you've been around for three albums now, but to some people you'll always be the girl who sang "A Thousand Miles" - there was an obnoxious drunk next to me yelling "Play your hit!" I guess at a free show that's gonna happen, but is that annoying? What do you do with that?
A: Something like this that's free - if anything, it's an opportunity to three-dimensionalize myself. The songs are so much bigger than the album. I want to have a full-bodied career...But (the success) of that album (2002's "Be Not Nobody") allowed me to make the most avant garde quirky song if I want, because I made this song that is a modern, quasi-classic.

Q: It really is. It's now even one a Zales commercial.
A: Yeah, I sold out (giggles.) They just wanted the melody, not me singing. They didn't license my recording - they rerecorded the piano part - so I still have the right to license my recording if I want.

Q: Cool. So five years after your first album, you've got such a recognizable song under your belt and now you're on a new label (The Inc.). What's it like to transition from being the hot new girl to being more established?
A:...When I was new, none of the older female singer/songwriters said "Hey, come have a drink with me." But there are so many new ones coming up, and I can't wait to hang out with them. It's been interesting as a singer/songwriter, getting to your third record. People have been so nice, and I've gotten some nice critics' praise. I've put out a consistent body of work.

Q: One more thing - I couldn't help but notice that gorgeous piece of fabric draped over the piano. It was such a nice touch.
A: It's Victorian lace from 1872. It takes a beating, but especially when I don't have my own piano - this one was rented - it says to me "Aww, I'm at home."

(is there anyway a sticky interview/article thread could be made??? just wondering....:) )[/list]
Peace
-S