Author Topic: Cloverfield  (Read 8637 times)

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
Cloverfield
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 08:07:17 pm »
people said it was really bad. but i'll rent it when it comes out and have a movie night with my friends.

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Cloverfield
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 08:11:35 pm »
I think it just depends on people. Most of my friends except one who saw it loved it. The other one said they hated it b/c of the camera. My reasoning with that is...GET OVER IT... of course its going to look like that its supposed to give the illusion of a documentary.... but whatever

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

Zloska_of_yy

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - ernstkuiper@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - yesteryearzloska
    • View Profile
Cloverfield
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 05:14:11 am »
A lot of people don't like the movie, because:
a) the monster isn't shown enough
b) there is not enough action, more guns!!!!
c) no explanations
In my opinion these are bogus reasons, because the premise of the movie doesn't allow any of these things. It's like going to a romantic costume drama (say Pride & Prejudice) and then complaining about the fact that the main characters aren't constantly having hot, sweaty sex (not the best comparison, I know).

Cloverfield is about some catastrophic event happening and depicting in a "realistic" way how a group of people is effected by this event. How realistic would it be if the main characters were constantly within stomping distance of the monster and surviving for the duration of the movie? Same goes for the action. As for the "no explanations" part, what do people want, an unknown monster is attacking New York, within a few hours the city is leveled. Nobody knows what is going on, so it should be the same with the audience. It's part of the experience that the movie is trying to create.
People should judge a movie on what it offers, not what they want it to offer (or something like that).

Rant over :)

Own opinion (spoilery): I liked it, it's incredibly intense and looks extraordinary. However, I didn't really care for the characters (except for Marlena, I sort of liked her). Not that I disliked them, they were just blah, disposable. It had no emotional impact when they died.
"If it all went away, nothing left to say, oh would you fight it or would you lay down."

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
Cloverfield
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 10:22:20 am »
^You have some very great points.^  Bottom line:  "People should judge a movie on what it offers, not what they want it to offer."  EXACTLY!  I love that this movie is different.   :)
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
Cloverfield
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 04:39:43 pm »
I LOVE scary movies, but none really scare me that much, i dont get scared with blood, gore, bombings, murders, suspense. The only thing that scares me are ailiens! Probably because there isnt any proof if there are any or not and if they are friendly or bad.
i'm not crazy!

charmed23

• Make me high on lullabies
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ordinary_charm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cloverfield
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 02:44:00 am »
You guys have to feel the hype and anticipating since the first teaser (showing before Transformers back in 2007).

It was one of the best entertainment experience for me (another one is finishing Dreamfall). Everything was kept in extreme secret. The viral marketing was SUPER. No one knew what the heck was going on until the movie opened. I had a lot of fun on the movie's IMDB board. Everyone was like detectives, crawling for details and information.

When I got to watch it in Vietnam, I lmao because no one in the theaters knew what the film was before. They thought it was an ordinary weekend movie and criticized the movie heavily for no explanation and *beep* ending

love the movie. Although I only gave it an 8, Cloverfield will remain my top-fav movie.

maag

Cloverfield
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 09:33:50 am »
I also love this film, though a lot of people told me not to see it because they consider it a waste of time or they think it sucks. I saw it anyways and the result was good.
Bye!

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Cloverfield
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 12:30:10 pm »
I watched it a few days ago expecting it to be bad, becuase of what I had heard. I actually liked it it wasnt the best movie id ever seen but I DID like it. The only thing is it was one of those endings where you dont know what happens. I asume there will be a sequal (if not oh well). I liked the way it was filmed and it was differnt in a sense... One thing that I realy like was it had a suspense and thriller genre but it it wasnt scary and nothing poped out (I hate that). I though it was pretty good.

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Cloverfield
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 12:31:29 pm »
Quote from: "_all_is_well_"
I watched it a few days ago expecting it to be bad, becuase of what I had heard. I actually liked it it wasnt the best movie id ever seen but I DID like it. The only thing is it was one of those endings where you dont know what happens. I assume there will be a sequal (if not oh well). I liked the way it was filmed and it was diffrent in a sense... One thing that I realy like was it had a suspense and thriller genre bu nothing poped out (I hate that). I though it was pretty good.