Author Topic: Toshiba is pulling the HD-DVD format out of the market.  (Read 2597 times)

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
Toshiba is pulling the HD-DVD format out of the market.
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:46:45 pm »

The two-year war between HD DVD and Blu-ray officially ended Tuesday morning as Toshiba waved the white flag and declared it would stop producing HD DVD products.

The company, which began sales of HD DVD in March 2006 with the HD-A1 player, "decided it was not right for us to keep going with such a small presence," said chief executive Atsutoshi Nishida. The Blu-ray format is now the definitive winner in the war and stands unopposed as the optical media replacement for DVD.

Toshiba's news release goes into a bit more detail: "Toshiba will begin to reduce shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels, aiming for cessation of these businesses by the end of March 2008. Toshiba also plans to end volume production of HD DVD disk drives for such applications as PCs and games in the same timeframe, yet will continue to make efforts to meet customer requirements. The company will continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives within the overall PC business relative to future market demand."

Three movie studios currently support HD DVD--Universal, Paramount, and DreamWorks Animation--but we expect them to follow suit and announce support of Blu-ray sooner rather than later.

With Blu-ray support announced by industry heavyweights Netflix, Wal-mart and Best Buy, speculation ran rampant before the weekend that Toshiba would end the war, and the company deserves credit for pulling out as soon as it did. The two incompatible formats have led to plenty of confusion among prospective buyers of next-generation hardware and software, although some have opined that the war was a good thing--at least it led to price drops.

We've been advising readers against the purchase of HD DVD players since the announcement by Warner Brothers in January that it would exclusively support Blu-ray. That doesn't mean we're telling everyone to rush out and buy a Blu-ray player now; we still believe that most home theater fans would be better served to wait for prices on players to fall. Of course, with the exit of Blu-ray's major competition, those prices may fall later rather than sooner.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9874199-7.html?tag=nefd.top

~~~

lolll Sucks for the twats who were stupid enough to buy HD-DVD players. Pwned.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

lucysmusicbox

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:03:01 pm »
I hate that they are changing everything to blue rey and I hate that they are making it a law that you must have a HD box for your tv by 2009/

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:32:38 pm »
Quote from: "lucysmusicbox"
I hate that they are changing everything to blue rey and I hate that they are making it a law that you must have a HD box for your tv by 2009/

It's a digital box, not an HD box. No one's forcing anyone to go HD. Networks will begin broadcasting in digital instead of analog. Unless you still use rabbit ear antennas for your television set (which is the only way the switch will affect you), the change to digital will barely be a blip on your radar. Also, Europe has been receiving their broadcasts in digital for years now, so it's about time the US catches up. The US is behind on a lot of technologies available overseas, don't get me started on how backwards the US is when it comes to cell-phone technology.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 03:38:16 am »
The U.S. is not behind on mobile phone technology.  We have EV-DO!  

But as for the TV thing, we've had Dish Network for several years now, so we'll probably never notice that we can no longer watch Judge Judy on channel 67 (broadcast channel 16) on the bedroom in the afternoon.
Dustin