Author Topic: 7/13/2008: Chris Isaak/ Vanessa Carlton Costa Mesa, CA  (Read 4719 times)

maira

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • AOL Instant Messenger - maira713
    • View Profile
7/13/2008: Chris Isaak/ Vanessa Carlton Costa Mesa, CA
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:10:07 pm »
http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/1232917

This is part of the The OC County Fair.

This is my birthday and I live so close, but i am going to be in San Francisco that weekend. I hope i make it back early enough so i can go.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:05:23 pm »
weird that her website says house of blues anahiem...such a better venue
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 05:49:50 pm »
At the show now starts in a couple mins not very packed but there looks to be a set up for a full band performance so that's good news I plan to take some videos for you guys xo
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 07:22:52 pm »
woooo band! very nice, def. tell us how it goes =]

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 08:21:54 pm »
scratch that! my bad. no band just Vanessa with acc. guitar(the band set up was for chris isaak)....a personal fav of mine anyway...great show..the crowd was good too her, i think they appreciated her 'realness'.  she messed up on the 2nd verse of 'more than this' and she stopped and said "Fuck! That is not how the song goes!! God Dammit! Ok, lets start from the 2nd verse"  and the crowd went nuts, they loved it.

Set list, not sure of the order.

Nolita Fairytale
Hands On me
Ordinary Day
White Houses(with intro)
A Thousand Miles
Heroes & Thieves
Home(with outro, and it fucking rocked!)
More Than This

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:33:04 pm »
nice, sounds like fun. I love it when she messes up = ]

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 06:53:05 pm »
Oh yeah, forgot to mention she also played Who's To Say!

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 07:00:06 pm »
Opener Vanessa Carlton was anchored to her piano throughout her 45-minute set, but that didn't prevent the Pennsylvania native from playing her accessible material in an entertaining nine-song showcase.

The best songs in her Sunday set came off her third album, 2007's "Heroes & Thieves," which find Carlton exploring deeper issues than her better-known 2002 debut "Be Not Nobody."

Whether singing about being dropped from her first record label in "Nolita Fairytale," the joys of an exciting romance in the wonderful "Hands on Me" and a magical walk through New York's Central Park chronicled in "Heroes & Thieves," her fine piano playing and vulnerable voice (often cracking artfully at its upper range) made for a particularly good outing.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 06:38:18 am »
didn't know I should quote things rather than post the link. thanks for the fyi.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 07:02:20 am »
Idk either, I just thought I might, a lot of people do lol. Did you record anything?   I wanna hear her with more than this, she is so smart, and prepared if something were to go wrong, I myself love improv stuff like that (ie if you're in a play and someone doesn't show up on stage or something happens, you make something up, happened to me a lot, I was the one making the stuff up, and its fun, and funny) i love how she isn't afraid to say "fuck" or anything on stage, she's the artist, she says what she wants to say, I love it.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 08:32:29 am »
Yeah, I think a lot of people appreciate the real-ness just weird that its happening more often nowadays with Vanessa..maybe she feels more at ease with her stage presence...people didn't seem to mind it, everyone laughed and cheered...I think they appreciated that she stopped and started the verse over again..it was a real good 'release' moment..something you wouldn't expect from V if you don't go to her shows, or follow her music career, etc...

I actually have some video footage of More Than This, it's short but I will post soon. xx  See everyone tonight in Tempe!

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 08:58:07 am »
I can't wait to see the clip! I think in places such as LA, Vegas, San Francisco etc, she feels like she can use a different style of language and talk about less conservative topics because its so diverse and open to different ideals. In SF, she said that when she was analyzing white houses on stage [in like alabama or something] that she felt uncomfortable because there's a lot of conservative people who don't touch the sex subject or anything, and that there in SF she felt at home, like she could say things like that.

Kate

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 11:42:19 am »
eager to see the video!! Happy that people appreciated!!!  :D
"This night under stars, well, I call it peace"
"I walk the street with a song in my head"