Author Topic: 7/22/2008: Exit/In - Nashville, TN (review)  (Read 6847 times)

cwfultz

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ismellswisscheez
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/cwfultz
7/22/2008: Exit/In - Nashville, TN (review)
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:54:06 pm »
Fantastic show. It was great to hear her talking about circle jerks. lol

I particularly enjoyed "More Than This".

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:49:01 am »
Yes, do I have a story for y'all!

First, on my way into town I had to stop less than a block from the Cyrus farm because someone had thrown a Big Mac box and a bunch of napkins out on the side of the road.  I just couldn't let that slide.  And who special orders a Big Mac with no pickles, anyway?

Unlike last time, when I got to park at the Mexican restaurant next door because we ate there before the concert and were, therefore, legally parked customers, I had to parallel park 2½ blocks away, and I do mean real city blocks.  I pulled an excellent parking maneuver on my first attempt, which should have been videotaped from four different angles for use in a driver's ed course.  As I locked my car and went to step up on the walkway, I nearly tripped on some cute little drinking glass someone had left on the pavement.  I brought it home with me and it's in the dishwasher now.

I stood in the line that had already begun to form for probably around a half-hour before they let us in, and I was the first to take to the floor.  Since I knew the show wasn't due to start for at least another half-hour, I just sat on the floor up front near the stage so I could get off my feet which had already seen a few miles of downtown Nashville before I even parked the car.  Most everyone else was either sitting at a table or standing in the back.  The next couple of people to the floor also sat down to wait, and by the time Alexa came out, there were probably around a hundred people or more sitting on the floor up front, and we just somehow stayed there and enjoyed the show.  Alexa made the comment that we must be true fans because there's no telling what all had been on that floor, and yet we didn't seem to mind.  I don't know about everyone else, but I'd had a very long day and was glad to sit.  Several people remarked about the "living room" atmosphere it gave the event.

Alexa's show was short, no more than a half-hour itself, but quite enjoyable and I would even say memorable.  Really cool at the end of her set, she was joined by the cellist and a guitarist from Joshua's band for a graceful rendition of "Moon River".

A full 15 minutes ahead of schedule, Vanessa came out and had to remark almost immediately about how us sitting around on the floor reminded her of Montessori school and how they would sit in a circle and listen to music or read or whatever, and how they would have a circle jerk at the end.  Just kidding.

Her set list (which ended up in my pocket after the show) consisted of...
1. Ordinary Day
2. Hands On Me
3. White Houses
4. Who's To Say
5. Heroes & Thieves
6. Half A Week Before The Winter (with Alexa Wilkinson on trumpet)
7. A Thousand Miles
8. Home (with longer coda)
9. More Than This

She commented at least a couple more times between songs about the Montessori school and the circle jerks, which she said was not funny when we laughed about it because she was just kidding about that.  After her set, she went back to the merchandise counter for all of about two minutes before virtually disappearing for the rest of the night.  When Joshua came on stage, more people had come to the floor, including several who only showed up to watch him, and they were standing.  After his show, I heard him backstage making comments to a couple of people about how the crowd was awful and sleepy and how he just wanted to quit mid-set.  I don't know if he was being sarcastic or if he was serious, but the girls he was talking to were doing their best to convince him otherwise and that they were actually still cheering wanting an encore.

I make the trek back up to the car to grab a copy of the DVD I'd made from Vanessa's previous performance there at the Exit/In and my 12" single of "White Houses".  I, along with about 4 or 5 others, lingered around out back by the bus hoping to catch her before she got away.  We did just barely get to see her before she got back on the bus.  She autographed a couple of shirts for some young ladies and made a picture with a couple of young men.  She had to borrow a blue Sharpie, but she was amazed and happy to autograph my 12" single, wanting to know all about where I got it and telling me she wanted one too, and I gave her the DVD before she slipped away.

I didn't get any video or many pictures, but I'll see if I can post what I do have by tonight.
Dustin

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 09:23:38 am »
Thanks for the review... circle jerks... lol

Definitely an 18+ show...  :D
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:34:17 am »
Thanks for the review. I am glad she is getting some love out there. I am sure JR was serious.

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 12:57:07 pm »
Quote from: "joey"
Thanks for the review... circle jerks... lol

Definitely an 18+ show...  :D

Lol.  Last time she was there, she let slip out an F-bomb and a GD-bomb, and even said shit a time or two, and there were children in the crowd.  Anyone who has seen the video or listened to it ("C'est la Vie"), she told the children not to swear because when they grow up, pointing to herself, "this is what happens."
Dustin

cwfultz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »
Yeah, I was totally sitting up front on the floor, too.

Joshua Radin's an asshole. His set was lame. He was lame. All his songs sound exactly the same. The only good one he did was that Bob Dylan cover.

You know comedian Mike Berbiglia's bit about the guitar guy at the party? That's him. Totally.

Alexa Wilkinson was amazing. I'm a fan now.

My favorite quote of the night was from a girl standing close to me who made a comment while Joshua Radin was playing: "This is like 'V for Vagina'".

VaderDawsn

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:38:41 pm »
How long was the total show? Did they first performer start on time or were you waiting?
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home

cwfultz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:14:41 pm »
It was about three hours... Everything seemed like it went on time.

Does anyone have any pics?

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 06:22:31 pm »
Quote from: "cwfultz"
It was about three hours... Everything seemed like it went on time.

Does anyone have any pics?

I know Vanessa was 15 minutes early, which caught me completely off-guard.

I'm sure someone has pics.  There were lots of cameras going off.  I may have like two pictures from the whole thing.  I don't know.  I had camera issues.
Dustin

itsthefiveofus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:19:08 pm »
were they at all anal about cameras? B/c on the tickets for the Aug. 8th show at Chicago, the tickets have on them NO CAMERAS. So just wondering. I know the last show I went to they said just no flash b/c of the filming.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 08:41:06 pm »
His set was lame. He was lame. All his songs sound exactly the same.

So true. I've seen him multiple times (because he opened for Anna) and this past March because he was on The Hotel Cafe Tour. He's so damn boring. But I am glad she's at least on tour.

itsthefiveofus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 06:29:14 am »
Quote from: "eclv"
His set was lame. He was lame. All his songs sound exactly the same.

So true. I've seen him multiple times (because he opened for Anna) and this past March because he was on The Hotel Cafe Tour. He's so damn boring. But I am glad she's at least on tour.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. I downloaded his newest CD so I can hear it to see how his music is. OMG I wanted to die, no meanness meant there but all his songs really do sound the same!

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 07:25:44 am »
itsthefiveofus-

sad for you, you are attending a House Of Blues show..those venues ALWAYS are evil about cameras.  I am located near the West Hollywood & Disneyland House Of Blues and both don't allow any kind of camera.....so you might be out of luck. :(

But see you in Chicago!
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 12:05:09 pm »
Dood Joshua seems like a total douche.
Peace
Adriann

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 12:06:54 pm »

My favorite quote of the night was from a girl standing close to me who made a comment while Joshua Radin was playing: "This is like 'V for Vagina'".

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Peace
Adriann