Author Topic: 8/5/2008: 20th Cent. Theatre; Cincinnati, OH (review)  (Read 3527 times)

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
8/5/2008: 20th Cent. Theatre; Cincinnati, OH (review)
« on: August 07, 2008, 06:37:58 pm »
Hey, so I went and saw Vanessa on Tuesday night at the 20th Century Theatre opening up for Joshua Radin and she did a wonderful job! I don't know about her other dates, but she was using like 4 members of Joshua's band. She had a guy doing percussion on three or four songs, she had the bassist play upright on four songs or so, she had Joshua's guitarist play on most of the songs and she also had Laura Jensen (the very "hot" Laura Jensen, as she said) sing backup vocals on "The One". I definitely wasn't expecting to hear, like, a full band-sounding version of "White Houses" or "Heroes and Thieves" but it was really cool!

Joshua did a great job as well. He's an Ohio boy, so he had a pretty good turnout. I like his music and I thought he did well. Alexa Wilkinson was very impressive. She did a great job and we talked after the show about chord progressions and Scarlett Johansson's album and other musical things. She was really down to earth and nice.

Vanessa, of course, didn't come out and greet her fans. I'm getting the sense that she's a bit of a diva or something. The lady who worked the merch table said that she never comes out. If anyone actually reads this, I know I'll get shit for it, but whatever. Her performance was incredible, so I can't complain about that. It was 45 minutes of amazing musicianship and her connection with the audience was just great. She said that it was one of her "most favorite" shows and that she has really enjoyed this tour. "Home" was just plain old moving and it was cool to hear Laura Jensen on "The One".

I'll post pictures when my friend Alicia uploads them. I forgot my camera. Sorry it took so long to actually post this. My last two days have been busy as hell.
Joe

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 08:55:11 pm »
I'm not giving you shit..

I don't think she's a diva, very much the opposite...

"Being able to be onstage is such a gift, as cliche as it sounds, its really humbling. I really am there to serve the people and hopefully transend the moment."

I have gathered from being around her that she seems like a shy person, whether its in interviews or walking onstage, she just seems to be shy in my opinion. I think that may be the reason why she may not come out and do meet and greet. She might also feel like its Joshua's time to shine because he is the headliner of the show and an up and coming artist. IDK just my thought and I know someone here is gonna hate me for "acting like I know everything about Vanessa" as they so blatantly commented on my site.

charmed23

• Make me high on lullabies
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ordinary_charm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:28:57 am »
But she did use to come out to greet her fans, didn't she?
I never think Vanessa is that shy to not meet her fans.  :?

I really hope those tours boost H&T sales.
@Jophess: Did they sell Vanessa's albums there and did anyone buy them?

Martin.

• Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:28:30 am »
i heard vanessa literally has to do a show then go jump on a plane straight after, so that may be why she hasn't been sticking around much lately.

i know she used to always do her 'meet & greets' and stuff afterwards (and sometimes before).

i don't know.

glad you enjoyed it, anyway. i'm still living in hope that i will one day get to see her live.

what was the crowd like towards her?

Jophess

• View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 09:20:05 am »
They were selling H&T. I didn't see anyone buy it, but I'm sure that some people did. The crowd was good - they were respectful for Vanessa, but I think the vast majority were there for Joshua. It thinned out a little bit after she performed, but a bunch more people came up to stand by the stage for him. There might be some videos on Youtube...
Joe

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 09:38:52 am »
Quote from: "Hazy Eyes"
i heard vanessa literally has to do a show then go jump on a plane straight after, so that may be why she hasn't been sticking around much lately.

thats true in some cases, one concert i went to i wanted to meet her and went everywhere looking for her, her set ended at 9 and there was a 10pm flight to NY, where she would be going, so they really had to rush to the airport.

she does do meet and greet sometimes at the smaller venues, im not sure how big the ones you all went to were, but there was probably 1-2,000 people at the show i attended this summer.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 10:18:10 am »
That's cool JR's band is sitting in with her.

My friend went to this show here's what she said

she was absolutely amazing! she was adorable.
it was my first time(:

she played (in this order, i think)
1. Ordinary Day
2. Hands On Me
3. A Thousand Miles
4. Heroes & Thieves
5. White Houses
6. Nolita Fairytale
7. More Than This
8. The One
9. Home

i think that's the right order? blehhh, well those are the right songs .

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 12:21:53 pm »
she does tons of one-off shows in NYC...wish she would do some in Cali..but i understand why, it's easier and makes sense since she lives there.

vanessa..play la...it won't bite.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!