Author Topic: 2008 Summer Olympics Beijing, China  (Read 8644 times)

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
2008 Summer Olympics Beijing, China
« on: August 08, 2008, 11:04:02 pm »
I don't know if you guys are into it but I am very excited for them to start. I figured here would be a good place to talk about them over the next few weeks.

The Opening Ceremony was incredible. From the 2008 drummers, Thai Chi, people etc. Wow! And when the torch was lit. 8O

I love to watch Swimming, Gymanstics and Track and Field the most.

Go Team USA!!

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 06:59:16 am »
Woohoo! I saw the opening cermony last night and it was amazing! Brilliant artistry and the torch walk was pretty awesome!!! :) I'm now watching the Women's volleyball team's match against Japan. cannot wait for Beach volleyball with Kerri and Misty. And swimming with Phelps! :)

I just love watching the Olympics! :D

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:25:31 am »
Me too! I stayed up til like 3:30 watching last night. Directv has a few channels that are dedicated to the Olympics. You can even hit the red button and see the medal count. I am flipping from Volleyball, that US vs. Japan match was great!! Awesome the US Women swept Fencing/Saber(?) for our first 3 medals.

I too am looking forward to the Beach Volleyball. The bad thing is I am on the Westcoast and will catch it later than everyone else. Hope to miss the spoilers. Oh and swimming Dara Torres, hope that old lady with the hard rock body can get it done!! Phelps too!!

Journey_to

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 11:31:06 am »
i'm looking forward to the track and field portion, especially the marathon:I'm very pleased with who ended up on team usa for the 26.2 mile race.:)

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 11:53:46 am »
Quote from: "eclv"
Me too! I stayed up til like 3:30 watching last night. Directv has a few channels that are dedicated to the Olympics. You can even hit the red button and see the medal count. I am flipping from Volleyball, that US vs. Japan match was great!! Awesome the US Women swept Fencing/Saber(?) for our first 3 medals.
I too am looking forward to the Beach Volleyball. The bad thing is I am on the Westcoast and will catch it later than everyone else. Hope to miss the spoilers. Oh and swimming Dara Torres, hope that old lady with the hard rock body can get it done!! Phelps too!!

I thought we were gonna lose in that volleyball game! Earlier in the game, the Japs were dominating but it's a good thing that we pulled through in the end!

And yes, very impressive with the saber fencing, Mariel Zagunis was awesome and it's our first gold, silver and bronze medal!

Did you see the 400m heat with Phelps? The fastest out of everyone and a new olympic record!!! :) Haha i think that Lochte is in trouble saying that he can beat Phelps but I don't think so because Phelpls is a freakin dolphin. That's all i'm gonna say lol

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 12:09:13 pm »
Yeah, no I haven't seen it yet. I knew I would be spoiled. Beach Volleyball is about to start and damn I need to run some errands real quick. They can wait. :wink:

MyMelody

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 02:55:01 pm »
I generally only watch the opening and closing ceremonies...  8)

"I should point that this next country, the Central African Republic, is, in fact, a Republic, located in Central Africa."

Damn, does Bob Costas do anything in the odd-numbered years? I remember him covering the 2000 Olympics.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 03:05:10 pm »
I like the diving and the gymnastics. they're cool. my friend likes the taekwondo ones, she's really good at tkd, shell be a black belt next year.

SadAsBlue

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 06:29:08 pm »
My best friend was an elite gymnast. A few years back she was an alternate for World. She quit because she wanted to have a social life and be able to enjoy herself. She was great. If she had stuck with it there is a good chance she would be in China now, but I don't think she regrets her choice.  :)
ENS

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 06:40:55 pm »
Grrh, I missed Beach Volleyball with Misty and Kerri... stupid back to school shopping...  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 09:08:06 am »
I watched it! You know China outdid everyone with the opening ceromony.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 03:04:44 pm »
The colorful Olympics opening night ceremony from Beijing on NBC averaged 34.2 million viewers, making it the biggest television event since the Super Bowl.

It was the biggest audience ever for an Olympic opening ceremony not held in the U.S., and even eclipsed this year's Academy Awards and finale of "American Idol," Nielsen Media Research said on Saturday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/news/story?id=3527387

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 08:41:09 pm »
OMG!! The US Women's Gymnastics Team is killing me!! Really!?!? They do these routines thousands of times. Come on!!

Yes, I know there is tons of pressure but really!?!?

Shake it off!!

IfICouldFall

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 04:22:14 am »
^^^ oh god tell me about it. they're making amateur mistakes and yes, I know it's a high pressure situation but I know that they can do much better than that. Falling of bars and falling back on the landing is not acceptable for the USA team  :( ... but at least they made it to the finals.

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 05:12:07 am »
can we say my goodness, men's 4x100 relay?!
formerly fish_for__stars.