Author Topic: Thought you guys might be able to help...  (Read 3328 times)

vcfan

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thought you guys might be able to help...
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:12:42 am »
So coming up on the 17th is my all time favorite musician's birthday. I really, really, really want to get him something, but I have no idea what to get him. I HAVE to get him something... I'm his biggest fan. I know it, he knows it, his other fans know it.

But here's the thing: all of my friends think I shouldn't get him something because they think it'll make me look like a creep! hahaha.

I am his biggest fan, but at the same time I know him. and he knows me. I've been going to his shows for so long that I'm pretty much friends with him and his band and his wife and family and everyone who's at his shows. But I don't care! I'm his fan first, friend second! How is it fair that just because I've come to get so close to him/his band that I'm suddenly not allowed to act like a fan?!

He's more than just my favorite musician... he's my hero. my inspiration. my idol. all that jazz. He's the one who opened up the world of indie music to me. He really truly is my hero and I want him to know that! Well he does know that, but I want to get him a gift for his birthday, is that so bad?! Besides, for my birthday he got me 2 backstage passes and sang me a song personally.. and on another birthday he gave me a shout out during the show and thanked me for all the support, etc. etc. Basically, he's acknowledged my birthday so I feel like I should be allowed to acknowledge his hahaha.

ANYWAY, 1. do you guys think I should get him something? and 2. What should I get? I have like a million pictures with him so I don't know if I can somehow incorporate that. (when I suggested that to a friend, he said, "What, do you think he's gonna put it on his nightstand?!" UGH) but I also want to include a written note of some sort. telling him how grateful I am for him and his music. what he's taught me. and that I'm thankful everyday for everything he's done for me. they say you shouldn't meet your hero because you'll be disappointed, but I'm reminded every time I see him that he surpasses my expectations of what a hero should be. He's talented, humble, grateful and generous. I want to somehow in a small way (LIKE A BIRTHDAY PRESENT) repay him for all of that.

soooo... what do you think?

(I know I sound like an obsessed freak.....bah)

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Re: Thought you guys might be able to help...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:50:26 am »
wow....
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

Capn Davey

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:17:51 pm »
Nothing wrong with giving back if someone a musician or anyone has done things that helped you! We run the Mairead Nesbitt forum you may have heard of her she's the fiddle player with Celtic Woman. last spring we all pitched in and bought her a very nice carbon fiber bow called the increadabow she was tickled with it she played at Red Rocks using it in July!! so others do this to!!!

Dave

charmedguy18

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 07:16:49 pm »
You should. If I could afford/figure out a way how to send a present to Vanessa on her bday I probably would. I'm already planning to send Charlotte Sometimes a present. :)

vcfan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:08:36 am »
THANK YOU! haha.

I can't think of anything more clever than a card right now though. any ideas?

vcfan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 08:04:27 am »
BY THE WAY, in case anyone is wondering... I've come up with the perfect present. A "road trip" care package, but for when he's on tour. Like games to play in the van etc etc.

:)