Author Topic: Has it ever occurred to anyone....  (Read 3696 times)

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
Has it ever occurred to anyone....
« on: June 06, 2010, 03:21:20 am »
...that maybe the reason why V has not been playing "Spring Street" and "Come Undone" live is that these songs have been written on  guitar, with the piano just an accompaniment?? Just a random thought.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 03:43:33 am by [sobriquet] »

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Re: Has it ever occurred to anyone....
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:33:43 am »
Yup.

"Come Undone" has a piano intro & end with a few chords chucked in the middle. The majority of that song is guitar.

I get the impression she doesn't play "Spring Street" because it's kinda boring to play at shows. There's piano in it all the way through, so she could do something with it if she wanted.

Maybe she doesn't like those songs on second thought? Or maybe she does but not enough to include them in her set? Or maybe it is because they're more guitar based. Who knows?

I think it would be really cool for her to bring her guitar along to her shows and play some of her stuff on that.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 08:58:26 am »
Yup.

"Come Undone" has a piano intro & end with a few chords chucked in the middle. The majority of that song is guitar.

I get the impression she doesn't play "Spring Street" because it's kinda boring to play at shows. There's piano in it all the way through, so she could do something with it if she wanted.

Maybe she doesn't like those songs on second thought? Or maybe she does but not enough to include them in her set? Or maybe it is because they're more guitar based. Who knows?

I think it would be really cool for her to bring her guitar along to her shows and play some of her stuff on that.

Yeah. I would be thrilled to see her play those songs live and with a guitar instead of her usual instrument, though I think she chooses not too to avoid being mistaken as some other artist (i.e., Michelle Branch) and to also avoid confusion.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:39:55 pm »
i have been anxiously awaiting a come undone live take from her since the album came out.
i love the song, but my thoughts on why she does not play it live are the high notes towards the end and the intro. from what i have noted, it seems as if Vanessa tries to match the live versions of the songs with the recorded, piano and vocal wise [as seen in home with the outro]and the intro to come undone would be very hard to attempt live just because of the organ itself.
as for spring street i dont think she plays it live because of all the na na na na na's and such. i do not think it is because of the guitar as she played pretty baby when she was on her summer tour in 2008 for several shows and almost all of that song is guitar based.
just my thoughts, i know little about the music industry and vanessa's set lists. this was not meant to cause infflamation to those reading. :D

vttmishere

• Make me high on lullabies
  • do it, do it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 04:48:55 am »
Yeah, I always wonder the same thing! Another song I wish she would play is "Private Radio". As far as I know, she only played it once in 2004 or 2005 and she was concerned about the echoes of the chorus and she joked that people would think she was lipsynching (or something like that lol), but I'm not really sure if this is the reason why she never performs it. Oh, and there's also "She Floats"! This one too, afaIk was only performed once in a show I have the audio. It was the penultimate song, after that she ended with "Twilight". It's a 2002 show. That live version of "She Floats" gives me chills, the intro is way better than the album version and I wonder if anyone knows if the studio version was supposed to be like that in the beggining (sorry for running out of the topic!).

Well, I guess you can all be right on your guessings. I just wish that on the new tour she'd do at least one medley with older songs, that way she could sing more songs we love in the usual 11/12 songs set.
'can't fight the force of my young beating heart'

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 05:02:10 am »
Yeah, I always wonder the same thing! Another song I wish she would play is "Private Radio". As far as I know, she only played it once in 2004 or 2005 and she was concerned about the echoes of the chorus and she joked that people would think she was lipsynching (or something like that lol), but I'm not really sure if this is the reason why she never performs it. Oh, and there's also "She Floats"! This one too, afaIk was only performed once in a show I have the audio. It was the penultimate song, after that she ended with "Twilight". It's a 2002 show. That live version of "She Floats" gives me chills, the intro is way better than the album version and I wonder if anyone knows if the studio version was supposed to be like that in the beggining (sorry for running out of the topic!).

Well, I guess you can all be right on your guessings. I just wish that on the new tour she'd do at least one medley with older songs, that way she could sing more songs we love in the usual 11/12 songs set.

I guess she chooses not to play "Private Radio" because it sounds pretty empty with just the piano playing. The song is layered pretty thickly with percussions and strings, so it would sound so much different without them.

"She Float" sounds good too when she played it live before. But I really like the studio version more, with the strings and screaming. The intro actually sounds to me like something out of a movie. :) 

Serentic

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - serentic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 08:02:30 am »
She doesn't play Paint It Black or Where The Streets Have No Name, either. Both because their covers and because they have lots of string/drum layerings. <3

sabasaba

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 06:43:12 pm »

I love Private Radio...but yeah, I agree with Martin.