Author Topic: Get Good  (Read 49591 times)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Get Good
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2011, 05:36:11 am »
Someone had posted somewhere, not in any Get Good thread, about not understanding the line:
Oh it's been so long since powder soft serene.

This is my take on it.  Since the song is based on the speech her cousin gave that references Sylvia Plath's poem about nature being beautiful and that the song is for a friend contemplating divorce, I think that the line means it's been a long time since being able to enjoy life and the goings on that surround us in nature.  Because the friend has lost her constellation eyes (to me that means like her starry eyes how we are in the beginning throes of love) she was unable to see all the good around her in other people, friends, nature and life.  So Vanessa sings to say that she will be there for her, she will help her get good again, and that someday she will get good again especially if she can take the time to stop and smell the roses.  So basically the friend has not been able to relax and enjoy life hence, it's been so long since powder soft serene. 
Does this explanation make sense to anyone else?
~Sara~

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2011, 01:42:35 pm »
I'd agree with that interpretation, definitely.  I thought of it as, it's been so long since she's been able to enjoy the little things, like blowing on a dandelion and watching the seeds drift away.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2011, 04:55:04 pm »
I'd agree with that interpretation, definitely.  I thought of it as, it's been so long since she's been able to enjoy the little things, like blowing on a dandelion and watching the seeds drift away.

aw yeah, I like the sentiment as well.  more concise than by blabbering. lol
~Sara~

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2011, 03:22:56 pm »
Heard it while in Starbucks :)

initially_yours

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • My official site
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2011, 07:05:41 pm »
Has anybody else cried when listening to this song?  My bf and I recently broke up (or more accurately, I gave him the choice and he decided to end things) and since V has said this song was written for a friend who was contemplating divorce, the song serves as a really great pep talk, that I'll get good again-- and this part especially in the chorus, gets me.  

Before our relationship ended, whenever I heard "Get Good", it always made me feel calm and grounded, and I like that it takes on a deeper, different meaning for me now.
Musician, filmmaker, writer: http://www.theaaronchan.com