Author Topic: Do you think that V's albums correspond to certain seasons?  (Read 2107 times)

barefootonbeaches

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Are the echoes coming back to you?
    • View Profile
Do you think that V's albums correspond to certain seasons?
« on: March 13, 2011, 12:00:41 pm »
When you guys listen to V's entire albums, do you get a sense that they were written to be listened to during a certain season? For example, I like to listen to Harmonium in the late summer/early fall. Maybe it's because of the lyrics "well summer's all in bloom/summer's ending soon" in White Houses and "just when the days start getting colder" in Afterglow and Half a Week Before the Winter.

Heroes & Thieves is a late winter/early spring album for me. It gives me a triumphant feeling, like we made it through winter, and now we're enjoying spring.

I am divided on Be Not Nobody, though, just because I haven't listened to that one all the way through enough. The brighter songs remind me of spring, but the darker ones remind me of late fall/early winter.

And from what we've heard from Rabbits on the Run, I think it will have a very Harmonium feel to it, but maybe more summery.

I love how V is so in tune with with the seasons and how she likes to reference nature in her songs!
I have a really cool The Fray gif that I would like to put here, but I don't know how. :(

lydia

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think that V's albums correspond to certain seasons?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 12:21:55 pm »
Yes! I think exactly the same thing as you! Her albums and songs definetly remind me of seasons.
For me, Harmonium, starts at the end of summer (White Houses), goes through the fall, starts to turn to winter (Afterglow, Half a Week Before The Winter), and ends at the beginning of winter.  There are so many references in the lyrics to seasons and seasons changing on that album.  It just fits with that time of the year.
Heroes & Thieves is an end of winter/beginning of spring album to me, too. 
Rabbits on The Run, to me, sounded like it would be a perfect spring album.  But she's releasing it in the summer, so... maybe it will sort of start in spring, and end at the beginning of summer.
I love how Vanessa does that too.  Her songs seem like a soundtrack to a certain time of year.

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think that V's albums correspond to certain seasons?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:23:54 pm »
yeah, i've been thinking about it. listening to Be No Nobody gives me a summer feeling. Harmonium definetly reminds of winter. Heroes & Thieves, autumn. and Rabbits On The Run, for sure a spring album. :)