Author Topic: mature conversation  (Read 12733 times)

musicfan7079

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • Email
mature conversation
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:58:52 am »
Have you or someone you known suffered from mental illness.

I have been recovering from atypical bipolar/anger/aspergers for 2 and a half years, I have almost no ill effects from it, thanks to abilify, and attitude adjustment. I um, am old, 30, so I had to grow up sometime.

still suffer from ocd sometimes and anxiety a little bit, buts meds, and recovery international for nervous and anxious people help

hope y'all dont mind a heavy subject, but I feel mental illness is still too stigmatized.

what do you think?

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: mature conversation
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:42:57 am »
I think it is very stigmatized as well.  I have never been diagnosed with anything, but I often get very depressed, but maybe it's just sever PMS hehe.  There is this great book I read has a good chapter on schizophrenia Myths to Live by by Joseph Campbell.  I find mental illness very fascinating.  I thought I wanted to work in that field (I am an RN) but I realized I just like learning about it, not working with it.
~Sara~

sayyouwould

• MSN Messenger - xsayyouwouldx@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sayyouwould
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:00:10 pm »
Abilify works great! That and prozac made me oooh so chipper! <3 too bad they don't have a generic!
I rely on my illusions to keep me warm at night

Emmyspiano

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EmilyRMiller89
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/imaginationplayground
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 06:48:10 pm »
Abilify works great! That and prozac made me oooh so chipper! <3 too bad they don't have a generic!

I take fluoxetine which is the generic of prozac! Make me so much happier!
And if you don't believe me just put your hands on me
I see the dalai lama, I feel him blessing me

sayyouwould

• MSN Messenger - xsayyouwouldx@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sayyouwould
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:02:49 pm »

I take fluoxetine which is the generic of prozac! Make me so much happier!

I used to take that! I loved it! I used to say,"Wow! if everyone was on these the world would be a lot nicer!" lol
I rely on my illusions to keep me warm at night

bumblebee429

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:37:04 am »
Like sarab, I sometimes feel very depressed. I've also suffered from quite bad anxiety, and in general don't deal very well when stressed (avoidance of the issue, smoking, a glass or two (or three) of wine).
This topic has actually made me think about how I've been living like this for years, and just haven't felt "right" or haven't felt fully "here" for a long time - I'm not sure if that makes sense?
What you guys have said about the medications your on, and how much better it makes you feel, makes me think maybe there's something that could make me not feel like that? I just don't know how to have that conversation with my doctor, you know?
Were your doctors/psychologists helpful? How did you start that conversation?

Sarah xx

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:32:11 am »
Like sarab, I sometimes feel very depressed. I've also suffered from quite bad anxiety, and in general don't deal very well when stressed (avoidance of the issue, smoking, a glass or two (or three) of wine).
This topic has actually made me think about how I've been living like this for years, and just haven't felt "right" or haven't felt fully "here" for a long time - I'm not sure if that makes sense?
What you guys have said about the medications your on, and how much better it makes you feel, makes me think maybe there's something that could make me not feel like that? I just don't know how to have that conversation with my doctor, you know?

Sarah xx

I get that sentiment.  A lot of times I feel I don't belong anywhere and that I was meant for something different than what I've done with my life thus far.  Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I felt I was okay and that I prefer being where I am in life.  Not sure why though.
~Sara~

georgina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 04:54:32 pm »
yes, actually quite severely. I've been hospitalized six times in the past year. (3 in a mental institution, 3 in a medical hospital) for anorexia and bipolar i. i've been on sooo many medications. right now i'm klonopin, seroquel, and lamictal. it's fucking horrible. i've missed most of my senior year because i've been in the hospital. and i'm still not doing that great. but hey, i guess it's made life a tad more interesting. the manic episodes, atleast.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:48:59 pm »
Georgina, I am very sorry to hear of your troubles.  I do hope that the medications work for you and you can be on the path to recovery.  Good luck to you!
~Sara~

matchel

• Willing and Able to... Run
  • Magical thinking gets us by
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 05:53:15 pm »

Sarah xx

I get that sentiment.  A lot of times I feel I don't belong anywhere and that I was meant for something different than what I've done with my life thus far.  Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I felt I was okay and that I prefer being where I am in life.  Not sure why though.

I too suffer from severe anxiety. What I have noticed is that after I am forced to deal with a situation where my anxiety takes control, I get very depressed. My family isn't quite aware of my troubles, so I feel like I'm just stranded when the depression kicks in. And it's not just after anxiety that I feel depressed; depression just comes and goes randomly for me. :/

georgina

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 07:26:04 pm »
Georgina, I am very sorry to hear of your troubles.  I do hope that the medications work for you and you can be on the path to recovery.  Good luck to you!

aw, thank you <3 i appreciate it

barefootonbeaches

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Are the echoes coming back to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 05:40:40 pm »

Sarah xx

I too suffer from severe anxiety. What I have noticed is that after I am forced to deal with a situation where my anxiety takes control, I get very depressed. My family isn't quite aware of my troubles, so I feel like I'm just stranded when the depression kicks in. And it's not just after anxiety that I feel depressed; depression just comes and goes randomly for me. :/

I totally get you. It makes sense to me, bumblebee429. Recently, like a little over a month ago, I haven't felt like myself. My family thinks it's anxiety because my dad used to have severe anxiety problems, but I think it is depression, because I used to cry so much everyday, for a reason I couldn't explain. I got better about a few weeks ago, but it started up again like 2 days ago and I just cry and cry and get so scared, and it's just the worst feeling in the world. I haven't talked to my doctor about it, partly because I don't want to be put on medication. But it comes and goes, I just take one day at a time. How do you guys deal with it in social situations, because I feel like I can't go anywhere, cause I'll start crying for no reason and crying in public isn't really accepted in our society.
I have a really cool The Fray gif that I would like to put here, but I don't know how. :(

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 05:55:35 pm »

Sarah xx

I totally get you. It makes sense to me, bumblebee429. Recently, like a little over a month ago, I haven't felt like myself. My family thinks it's anxiety because my dad used to have severe anxiety problems, but I think it is depression, because I used to cry so much everyday, for a reason I couldn't explain. I got better about a few weeks ago, but it started up again like 2 days ago and I just cry and cry and get so scared, and it's just the worst feeling in the world. I haven't talked to my doctor about it, partly because I don't want to be put on medication. But it comes and goes, I just take one day at a time. How do you guys deal with it in social situations, because I feel like I can't go anywhere, cause I'll start crying for no reason and crying in public isn't really accepted in our society.

Don't be offended by my question, but how old are you? I just remember being like 13-18 with hormones and all, being very depressed and easy to cry as well.  I would suggest also to keep a diary of when your symptoms come on and see if you find a pattern.  Maybe also keep track of your triggers.
~Sara~

barefootonbeaches

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Are the echoes coming back to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 06:11:15 pm »
Sarab, it's okay, I'm not offended! I'm 19. Yeah, I've thought of it being hormones, but I've never experienced anything like this before a month ago, so I didn't think it was because of that. Maybe it's transition to adulthood? But I don't think my life has changed drastically because I started college or anything. I live at home (I don't dorm) so it's not like I have a totally new environment. I have thought of starting a journal, but sometimes it makes me too sad to think about what made me sad, I just want to move on :\ But yeah, other people have suggested that too, so I should probably give it a shot, thanks.
I have a really cool The Fray gif that I would like to put here, but I don't know how. :(

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 03:59:24 am »
Sarab, it's okay, I'm not offended! I'm 19. Yeah, I've thought of it being hormones, but I've never experienced anything like this before a month ago, so I didn't think it was because of that. Maybe it's transition to adulthood? But I don't think my life has changed drastically because I started college or anything. I live at home (I don't dorm) so it's not like I have a totally new environment. I have thought of starting a journal, but sometimes it makes me too sad to think about what made me sad, I just want to move on :\ But yeah, other people have suggested that too, so I should probably give it a shot, thanks.

If anything, it might help you work through some reasons why it's happening.  Sometimes I don't realize something until I start writing.  Then, if you do end up going to a professional you'll have something to share with that person as to what's going on.  It's something they might want you to to anyway.  I don't think it's necessarily a solution, but it might help you figure out why it's happening.
~Sara~