Author Topic: Hear The Bells  (Read 32080 times)

raacheeel

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/raacheeel
Re: Hear The Bells
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 07:08:22 pm »
Then, she goes to the witch doctor, who we now know about... the Chinatown thing makes sense.. haha... so she goes to him and she feels really bad, but even he can't figure out what's going on with her.... The bridge.

Who is the witch doctor?  ??? LOL i'm so lost on that part, but for the most part i kind of piece it together like you did before i read your response to the song.

She recently said that she literally goes to a Chinese witch doctor for some herbal tea.  I think a witch doctor is someone who has deep knowledge of natural medicine and remedies without necessarily having any degrees.  I think they also use their faith and chants to heal as well. However, I stand true to my original thesis that in the song seeing a witch doctor means going to therapy.  Before she gave us the bit about actually seeing a witch doctor i thought this because a lot of times people see psychiatry as stupid or that the doctors themselves are quacks (as some think of witch doctors).  Also when she sings about asking the witch doctor but the witch doctor won't tell - to me that is classic psychiatry - they make you answer your own questions.  The patient sits and talks and the therapist just listens with giving occasional feedback but will usually let the patient just talk it out.  those are my thoughts.

sweet thanks for the filling in the blanks! i wonder why was she was sick for long...

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 07:27:13 pm »
yeah! we would all like to know
~Sara~

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 12:20:22 pm »
what are the bells that we're suppose to be hearing? O_o

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 12:57:23 pm »

Hahah, you know, I feel like the title is a metaphor for an epiphany, or whatever meaning she's conveying in the song. I'm no expert interpreter : )

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 04:35:28 pm »
LOL yeah that makes sense, wow i'm dumb

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 04:54:21 pm »

I think the chords she plays sound like bells actually.  then during time between the verse and the bridge there is a little melody from the piano that reminds me of when the church would play the bells at noon on sunday ( I lived next to a church for a year) they would play a little song or something it was very pretty.
~Sara~

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 05:30:02 pm »

I think the chords she plays sound like bells actually.  then during time between the verse and the bridge there is a little melody from the piano that reminds me of when the church would play the bells at noon on sunday ( I lived next to a church for a year) they would play a little song or something it was very pretty.

I agree! I was telling another Nessaholic friend on Twitter that I think the piano chimes to mimic how bells ring. It's very beautiful.

And Rachel, no, you're not dumb. : )
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 07:29:34 pm by pupmagic »

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 07:13:17 pm »

I think the chords she plays sound like bells actually.  then during time between the verse and the bridge there is a little melody from the piano that reminds me of when the church would play the bells at noon on sunday ( I lived next to a church for a year) they would play a little song or something it was very pretty.

I agree! I was telling another Nessaholic friend on Twitter that I think the piano chimes to mimic how bells ring. It's very beautiful.

And Sara, no, you're not dumb. : )

racheeel said she was dumb, but I agree, I'm not dumb.  LOL
and racheeel isn't either!
~Sara~

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 07:29:46 pm »

I think the chords she plays sound like bells actually.  then during time between the verse and the bridge there is a little melody from the piano that reminds me of when the church would play the bells at noon on sunday ( I lived next to a church for a year) they would play a little song or something it was very pretty.

racheeel said she was dumb, but I agree, I'm not dumb.  LOL

Oops! Fixed : ) No, you aren't dumb either, Sara. Can't let the lyrics of a song get the best of us. Heh : )
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:47:00 pm by pupmagic »

raacheeel

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 08:31:47 pm »

racheeel said she was dumb, but I agree, I'm not dumb.  LOL

haha thanks guys! i suck at reading between the lines. the reason why im not a literature major.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 10:09:52 am »
I've had this song stuck in my head for weeks now.  It's dark and huge-sounding.  I play it several times in a row when I listen to the album.  Easily one of the best tracks she's ever done.

Dan/NS

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 04:29:45 pm »

yes, i'm quoting myself again because i made a mistake.. the time right after the singing in the bridge sounds like church bells to me, not inbetween verse and bridge.
~Sara~

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 10:49:17 pm »
Seems like 90 percent of what is on that track sounds like bells: the opening guitar part, the vocals, even some of the eerie stuff mixed way in the back could be the sound of far-off bells.  The drummer keeps time on a ride cymbal, but ironically it doesn't sound like he is playing on the bell of it.......go figure. 

Little things that were done, like getting VC close to the mic in order to call attention to the "plosives" (hard consonant sounds like "c" and "p") are just awesome.  Strangely enough, this is what people try to AVOID in radio.

This track creeps me out a bit.

Dan/NS

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2011, 02:18:50 am »
Seems like 90 percent of what is on that track sounds like bells: the opening guitar part, the vocals, even some of the eerie stuff mixed way in the back could be the sound of far-off bells.  The drummer keeps time on a ride cymbal, but ironically it doesn't sound like he is playing on the bell of it.......go figure. 

Little things that were done, like getting VC close to the mic in order to call attention to the "plosives" (hard consonant sounds like "c" and "p") are just awesome.  Strangely enough, this is what people try to AVOID in radio.

This track creeps me out a bit.

Dan/NS

I agree.  In a good way though.  I find myself alternating between wanting to sing along with it and just listening.  Mostly I just listen to it because it's crazy cool and has so many different layers.  I will have to listen for the things you pointed out because I did not notice them before.  See, a new layer every time.  I'm hoping to get a record player today so I can listen to my vinyl!  I think it will sound phenomenal on there
~Sara~

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 11:15:31 am »
The graveyard she refers to is in the Nolita Fairytale video! 2:36
Peace
Adriann