Author Topic: Vanessa's inspiration and us...  (Read 15539 times)

Byoungforever

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • All I hear is the music....
    • View Profile
Vanessa's inspiration and us...
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:12:40 pm »
Well... Last week, in the spirit of V's new album, I decided to buy a used copy of Watership Down. It's in the mail on its way, and I was just curious as to who else decided to read the books  that she stated inspired her. Just thought I might understand the album more, and it is also just a classic. :)
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Re: Vanessa's inspiration and us...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:18:57 pm »
I ordered that (and the Stephen Hawking book) too. Arrived yesterday. I'm studying for my theory test so I'll read them after I'm done with that.

OPENROAD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 06:21:19 pm »
Bought Watership Down a week or so ago, haven't had the time to properly sit down and read it yet, but will, might get the other book after  :)
Never too late to change the pace
oh how the days creep up on you
but the goodness is something you don't have to chase
cause its following you

Patricius

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Lo hice; se lo hizo. ¿Seré encontrado?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:27:26 pm »
I have an old-version of Watership Down. When I was younger, the cover just never looked appealing. I haven't found it somewhere since, but I know it's amongst the books on the shelves. I want to read that and On the Road.
"The road is ahead of us, so let's start out today...The people and the friends that we have lost, or the dreams that have faded... Never forget them."

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 06:28:23 pm »
I read "A Year of Magical Thinking" (the inspiration for Fair-Weather Friend).  It was really, really good.  Didion definitely is, like Vanessa said, "such a beautiful writer."  It was a very sad book, but extremely well-written.  (Incidentally, you can see my review of the book here).

I bought Watership Down a looooong time ago, read about a quarter of it, and lost track of it.  It's a HUGE book, guys, so get ready XD  I saw the movie, though, so at least I get what it's all about.

Hawking's book I really want to read.  I think it's so awesome that she alludes to him in TTFS.  It's one of my favorite lines of hers!

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:58:49 pm »
NESSAholics book club?

because of vc i've read/listened to
- the year of magical thinking
- watership down
- doves
- langley schools music project
- most of a brief history of time

i'll be picking up some kerouac eventually, and i'll try to listen to some cat's eyes.

i feel like i'm missing something!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:00:56 pm by fish_for__stars »
formerly fish_for__stars.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 07:04:00 pm »
All I have read is The Year of Magical Thinking, but that was ages ago. Maybe I'll re-read it sometime.

And Watership Down and The Brief History of Time? I can't find a single copy here in our country. I went looking for them in almost every bookstore I know. Zero result.  :-\

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

LauraH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 07:32:26 pm »
I actually have a copy of Watership Down on my bookshelf. I've had it for years. I should probably read it...Haha
The song may be over, but the music never ends.

SilverIchor

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Who'd hear of brave deeds when he's ashamed of his
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 07:42:23 pm »
I read Watership Down this past summer before I even knew that it was the inspiration for the album. After listening to some of the live tracks, I started connecting it to the novel. I got some of the references, mostly in Tall Tales. The "Dandelion field in a dream" line from Get Good seems like it was taken straight from the book. I'd point out more, but I can't think of anymore off the top of my head XD I'll post more tomorrow, I guess.
"Sometimes, even strength has to bow down to wisdom" - Rick Riordan

Byoungforever

• All I hear is the music....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 07:52:35 pm »
You guys have got me really excited to read WD. And I just ordered 'The Year of Magical Thinking.' It sounds like a book I'll like. :)
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)

walking in the rain

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 08:05:07 pm »
Watership Down is a beautiful story.  I read it for the first time a few months ago, when I learned V had been inspired by it.  I'll read it again when I finish the book I have going now.  And I'll admit it, the ending made me cry.
~ I am walking a thousand miles in the rain ~

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 08:44:58 pm »
Hehe... Funny, I have both the books right now, but I'm in the middle of another book (actually two of them :P).

So, I'm not the only one.

Ow, and I second the NESSAholics book club.
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

LauraH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 08:52:23 pm »
You guys have got me really excited to read WD. And I just ordered 'The Year of Magical Thinking.' It sounds like a book I'll like. :)

The Year of Magical Thinking is reaaaalllllyyyyy good. Just sad ):
The song may be over, but the music never ends.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 09:13:46 pm »
I am not a reader, I try to be, but it just doesn't work out for me...I've read about half of The Year of Magical Thinking SEVERAL times and just haven't gotten around to finishing it because of how intense the reading for school is...

bumblebee429

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 09:20:47 pm »
I've bought both Watership Down and A Brief History of Time because of Vanessa. As soon as my exams are finished in a couple of weeks, I will start reading one of them!

Sarah xx