Author Topic: Interview: 5 Questions With Loft965.com  (Read 2776 times)

beatriz

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Interview: 5 Questions With Loft965.com
« on: June 13, 2011, 06:13:49 am »
http://loft965.com/2011/06/13/exclusive-5-questions-with-loft965-com-vanessa-carlton/

1. Greetings from Kuwait! Loft965.com picked your album as an “Album to look forward to in 2011.” How do you feel about that and what do you think this year holds for you?

So happy that you dig rabbits. Making this record was personally transformative…..people connecting to the finished product is wonderful and makes me feel less alone I think.

2. We love the first single. What will be your next single?

Not sure. “I Don’t Want To Be A Bride?,” “Dear California?”

3. How do you find your departure from mainstream labels to be and do you prefer it this way?

I cut ties from everything 2 years ago. I self funded the record and became my own little arts and crafts shop. I am so lucky to have been able to do that.  Since then I found this indie label called Razor and Tie.  They loved the vibe of this album and are on the same page in terms of the direction I’m heading. Again….I feel less alone. Nice.

4. Your new album, Rabbits On The Run, is very different than your previous releases. What was your inspiration behind making it?

It’s taken me 10 years to get back to the honest vibe of my earlier demos. How many times do you hear demos of songs and prefer them to the overly embellished record version? I NEVER want to feel that way again.  I made a very honest and simple record.  I was inspired by the sound of my vinyl record collection in terms of aesthetic. The songs are a meditation of 2 books….Watership Down by Richard Adams and A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.  The art work is inspired by the Hill’s Manuel….an etiquette book from the 1900′s.

5. We love quotes, what is your favorite quote or motto?

My motto is this: Pin. The. Tail. On. The. Donkey.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Re: Interview: 5 Questions With Loft965.com
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 06:21:50 am »
Thanks. Nice, short, interview!

I think we all knew it would be between those two songs. Cool!

craft

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 06:27:40 am »
Hill's Manuel:

I see the inspiration...kinda.  :-\

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:19:52 am »
A bit excited that the website is from the Middle East somewhere aka a concert here sometime soon... They should've asked her about whether she would do a concert here :-/

Interesting answer to the next single question.  :o
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

lilwizardman_gelo

• View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:47:19 pm »
hahaha

5. We love quotes, what is your favorite quote or motto?

She is such a dork! And i love it!!!
~Our minds hold the chaos that started everything~

SilverIchor

• Who'd hear of brave deeds when he's ashamed of his
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:14:55 pm »
http://loft965.com/2011/06/13/exclusive-5-questions-with-loft965-com-vanessa-carlton/

4. Your new album, Rabbits On The Run, is very different than your previous releases. What was your inspiration behind making it?

It’s taken me 10 years to get back to the honest vibe of my earlier demos. How many times do you hear demos of songs and prefer them to the overly embellished record version? I NEVER want to feel that way again.  I made a very honest and simple record.  I was inspired by the sound of my vinyl record collection in terms of aesthetic. The songs are a meditation of 2 books….Watership Down by Richard Adams and A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.  The art work is inspired by the Hill’s Manuel….an etiquette book from the 1900′s.

I'll admit, I freaking love her demos. I saw how she sort of went back in this record. Very comforting and satisfying.
"Sometimes, even strength has to bow down to wisdom" - Rick Riordan

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 04:21:24 pm »
amazing interview! woow, i loved that hill's manuel stuff. vanessa always bring us new stuff :)

i only found two images of this flourishes thing from this book. is there any other?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:31:46 pm by Fred_Saboya »

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:29 pm »
That was a great interview!  I knew it would be one of those for the next single.
And I love her motto..
HAHAHA  ;D ;D