Author Topic: Vanessa's uInterview is up.  (Read 6482 times)

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Vanessa's uInterview is up.
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:02:55 pm »
http://uinterview.com/music

Q: Some of your songs speak of independence and having the strength to just be yourself. Would you consider yourself a feminist? - Scott Sims
A: In a way, yes. I think I define it in my own way. If you want to generalize, then yeah. I don’t like the label in general.

Q: Will you ever release some of your unreleased songs? Such as All is Well, Morning Sting, and Ameriteen. - Angelo Giusti
A: I don’t know. I gotta revisit those and figure that out. Maybe. Never say never.

Q: How do you get the inspiration for your song melodies? Is it more of the process of experimenting at the piano or is it dependent on external influences? - Leonard
A: You know, it’s just so difficult to articulate because it’s very special. I think in another art forms – if you’re drawing, it’s like why are you going to let your pen go there? Why do you want it to curve that way? Why do you want to shade it this way? You just want to. Sometimes melodies come when I’m at the piano because it’s all relative to what I’m piecing together with my fingers. Sometimes I just hear one note and my brain goes someplace else, weaving together. It’s a loom, like a melodic loom. That’s really difficult to articulate. I hope it doesn’t go away! I don’t think it’s going to; it’s been around for a while.

Q: Your music is amazing, you use a lot of metaphors in your lyrics and I become excited when you release a new album, because your song writing grows more and more. My question is, where do you get the inspiration from whilst writing lyrics? - Ansley Pope
A: With lyrics, I honestly spent so much time fleshing out and being so careful with these lyrics. Books and journals of poetry and stories—the most finely crafted approach I’ve ever had with lyrics. It’s really easy to just get, not lazy, but you fall into “well, I’ve been singing this way for so long, I should just to stay this way because it’s what I’m used to.” Or “this sounds good.” Sometimes you just go with something because it sounds good and that’s not the kind of record I wanted to make. Maybe the words synced well but if it’s not the most articulate or honest thing to say then don’t say it. I just wanted these lyrics to really be able to exist on their own, to be strong as their own element without the music Sometimes you peel the lyrics away from the music, it’s really weak writing. It’s a work in progress but I think I’ve gotten better over the years.

Q: You have stated that you almost didn't do this record. Why is that? What will be the deciding factor if you do another record after Rabbits on the Run? - Richard Otter
A: I’m not in the headspace yet to consider post-“Rabbits.” I’m completely immersed in this rabbit hole. So that answers the second question. Regarding the first question, I basically had slowly been moving away from making the types of records I really wanted to be making. I don’t want to undermine the work I’ve done. There are elements of myself in everything I’ve done. But as a whole, in terms of a body of work, I would get to the finish line on the record — you just end up with something you didn’t plan for. Not that that can be a negative. Sometimes those natural unfoldings of something you didn’t expect are really important. I just lost the blueprint, it wasn’t clear to me anymore. That’s my fault, that muddiness. When you set out, it’s so clear that kind of record of you want to make, you end up with something else. And I just didn’t want to do it anymore. I was extremely frustrated as to why that kept happening. I am the common denominator in that so I had to figure out how to fix myself and change my process completely. I realized that the only way I could make another record was to fix that. It came to be that this record came out of complete necessity. I realized that the standard was so high, and I just wasn’t going to make another record unless it was kind of the fantasy record, the fantasy blueprint.

Q: You mention that "Rabbits on the Run" was inspired by the novel "Watership Down." Which character from the novel would you say that you identify with the most and why? - Michael Ceken
A: I feel like Fiver and Hazel represent parts of the ego, they’re two sides of your self. They’re two ends of the spectrum, creating the whole. I think their relationship was supremely important to me and I see myself in both of them. I think we strive in the end to arrive where Hazel arrives, his moment of enlightenment. He would not have gotten there without Fiver’s nervous energy and antsy nature.

Q: You tweeted about making a song called "Moneymaker" a while ago. What happened to this song? Why is it not on Rabbits on the Run? Will we ever get to hear it? - Andrew Kulp
A: I think we started weaving on a different loom when we started arranging that song. It actually led me to things that may be an electronic project that’s on the horizon for Steve Osborne and I. I’ve never said that before but I’ll just put it out there.

Q: Will you be coming to the UK for your autumn tour? A lot of people seek an answer to this question. - Jess Bromage
A: I can’t imagine not. It would break my heart if I didn’t. I’m doing everything I possibly can to put something together so that it works, so that the model works. It would be weird for me not to go over there. This was created in England so I will be back.

Q: Which of your albums is your favorite? - Erik Meers
A: This one because it is the most honest through and through. There are moments on each record that I like a lot. This one as a whole is a flushed out body of work. Through and through, it is the most honest thing I’ve ever done. Also, I got more healthy as a person because of it. It was a catalyst for a complete restoration for me. So it had a huge impact on me in that way.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:37:27 pm by Martin. »

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
Re: Vanessa's uInterview is up.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:12:34 pm »
I'm loving all these interviews! Also I'm glad she answered the unreleased songs question. At least she didn't give a flat out "no"!

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:13:54 pm »
I was hoping they'd ask more questions, but still - I like these!

And Kulp got his question answered!!!

Weisz

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:26:55 pm »
Martin, you should add all the questions and answers ont he first post ^^

nice to know about moneymaker tbh, and wow, that other project sounds itneresting :D
It's just me....and a drum. brmbrmbrmbrmbrbbrbrbrmmm

Still stars through a window, will they ever know this madness, madness of the

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:37:41 pm »
Done!

Arwen

• View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:39:20 pm »

Q: You tweeted about making a song called "Moneymaker" a while ago. What happened to this song? Why is it not on Rabbits on the Run? Will we ever get to hear it? - Andrew Kulp
A: I think we started weaving on a different loom when we started arranging that song. It actually led me to things that may be an electronic project that’s on the horizon for Steve Osborne and I. I’ve never said that before but I’ll just put it out there.

An electronic project with Steve Osborne?! That sounds awesome!

Harmonium

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 01:16:49 pm »
Ah!!! she answered my question about "watership down". so cool!

lilwizardman_gelo

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 02:15:13 pm »

Q: Will you ever release some of your unreleased songs? Such as All is Well, Morning Sting, and Ameriteen. - Angelo Giusti
A: I don’t know. I gotta revisit those and figure that out. Maybe. Never say never.

THAT'S ME!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
~Our minds hold the chaos that started everything~

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 02:55:40 pm »
woooooow, she answered the question about the unreleased songs! that's awesome!
and she answered about moneymaker! i'm so happy with the questions they picked :)

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 03:02:18 pm »
Wow, this is amazing - there are questions we as fans have been asking for a long time now (such as the one about the unreleased songs and Moneymaker) and we finally have answers!

When she says "electronic project," I wonder if she's referring to the electronic genre, or the project is going to be sold electronically (i.e. no physical release).  Am I overthinking it? haha

beatriz

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 03:21:15 pm »
My two questions got answered, yay! not directly though, I asked the EXACT same questions as Kulp and Richard Otter, almost the same words lol.

I hope we'll have more of these "fan interviews artist" kind of interview, preferably if there are mods (unlike the livestream) so there won't be random people asking silly things. We usually get more interesting info when WE ask her.

When she says "electronic project," I wonder if she's referring to the electronic genre, or the project is going to be sold electronically (i.e. no physical release).  Am I overthinking it? haha
I guess you're overthinking it haha.
I'm not into electronic music, but it would be very interesting to listen to her 'project'. She likes Moby, doesn't she?

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 03:50:31 pm »
I hope we'll have more of these "fan interviews artist" kind of interview, preferably if there are mods (unlike the livestream) so there won't be random people asking silly things. We usually get more interesting info when WE ask her.

exactly! i'm loving this oportunities we're having of asking her and cleaning things up.

guys, we got 5 interviews in two days, right? AWESOME :)

04jhowarth

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 04:08:01 pm »
SHE MIGHT BE COMING TO ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO FUCKING THERE OMGGGGGGGG, I'M DYING!
Thanks, James.

www.YouTube.com/04jhowarth < Vanessa goodies!

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 04:13:01 pm »
SHE MIGHT BE COMING TO ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO FUCKING THERE OMGGGGGGGG, I'M DYING!

i knew she would! How could she not? LIke she said, England was a big part of the record :) I'm happy for you all
~Sara~

VaderDawsn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 04:30:31 pm »
Thanks for posting. I love the interesting answers she gave about her creativity process.  The electronic record sounds interesting.
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home