Author Topic: Steeosubversion REVIEW  (Read 4533 times)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Steeosubversion REVIEW
« on: June 23, 2011, 01:25:19 pm »
I don't think this one was posted; I got this from Vanessa Carlton Indonesia on facebook, starts out nice but then...

http://stereosubversion.com/reviews/vanessa-carlton-rabbits-on-the-run

Share:
Rabbits on the Run is filled of dreamy material that transcends to another world and time

It’s been eight years since Vanessa Carlton’s release of Be Not Nobody and her monster hit “A Thousand Miles,” and although it’s a shame to entirely focus an artist’s career on one song and album, it may forever be the one she is known for.

This does not at all mean that listeners should be turned off from her current music just because they once found “A Thousand Miles” the slightest bit irritating. Carlton’s sound and lyrics have matured as anyone’s would after nearly a decade, with the once mostly pop singer now displaying a folk-infused sound and, although sometimes quiet, an always beautiful voice.

There are some fantastic parts within Rabbits on the Run. Named after the symbolism of time slipping and a mind floating, the album is filled with dreamy material that transcends to another world and time.  “I Don’t Want to Be a Bride” is a great example of a beautiful but timeless song on the album, relaying the story of a woman wanting to commit to a lifetime of love without the name of a bride.  The music itself is quiet and stunning.  The song would do well as a single on the album and, with little similarities to her old songs, is a perfect example of just how much Carlton’s music has changed. “Carousel” is another timeless song of love and loss. Carlton’s sweet vocals are not overworked but stand quietly on their own. Her lyrics and sound are also impossible not to admire.

The talent on the album is not free from a few cracks, however. “Fairweather Friend” is merely a throwback to her previous sound and, while many of her songs have had great potential, this track brings out the negative of her best music and remains lukewarm. The track can hardly stand on its own and is nothing more than easily skipped.

Many of the songs easily blend into a melancholy mood and sound very similar by the end. Although all are pretty, many are nothing worth mentioning and easily forgettable. Regardless of the best parts of this album, many of the filler tracks would make it better as an EP. Although Rabbits on the Run falls short as a solid, cohesive collection, its few excellent tracks still make it a worthwhile listen.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:17:09 pm by sarab »
~Sara~

AlexanderLaska

Re: Steeosubversion interview
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:26:27 pm »
I sort of agree with the sentiment - that a lot of the songs are just mellow, bordering on melancholy, and that they sort of blend into one another in that sense - but I definitely think they're a bit extreme about it.  I also think FWF is lukewarm, I was hoping it would be bigger.  I definitely DON'T agree that they're "easily forgettable."  I can't tell you how many times I've had some of these songs stuck in my head for hours on end.

TRINIST

• Your true colors shown
  • Perfect hair, perfect heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 03:05:37 pm »
Firstly, this isn't an interview, it's a review. Secondly, it's a load of rubbish lol! I agree with them saying that she done a decade's worth of change/progression musically, but not at all that some songs fall flat. One of the reasons I like FWF so much is that it is most like the older Vanessa sound and she hasn't completely abandoned that. I don't think the album sounds samey, but rather cohesive enough that it does come together well as one record.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 03:16:44 pm »
Firstly, this isn't an interview, it's a review. Secondly, it's a load of rubbish lol! I agree with them saying that she done a decade's worth of change/progression musically, but not at all that some songs fall flat. One of the reasons I like FWF so much is that it is most like the older Vanessa sound and she hasn't completely abandoned that. I don't think the album sounds samey, but rather cohesive enough that it does come together well as one record.

HA lol. I had just woken up, after 5 very long over night shifts. I will chalk it up to that.
~Sara~

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Steeosubversion REVIEW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 03:22:12 pm »
I think there is some similarity and the do blend, but I don't think it's such a negative as the REVIEW seems to be saying.  That is why I have trouble picking out my favorite or to rank them 1-10.  They are all very individual, yet they don't stick out.   I think if she had gone over the top with say, FWF, or Bride, then they would stick out more and that's not what she wanted to create (I think).  It's more of a progression to the end with an even keeled momentum.  They ARE mellow and they ARE memorable, but not heavily produced -- all good things in my book.  It's just a matter of opinion I guess.
~Sara~

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 03:42:36 pm »
wow! i never expected someone to say fair-weather friends is "nothing more than easily skipped". like whaaat? it has been one of my favorites since we first heard it. i thought this was the kind of song that anyone would like.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:17:30 pm »
wow! i never expected someone to say fair-weather friends is "nothing more than easily skipped". like whaaat? it has been one of my favorites since we first heard it. i thought this was the kind of song that anyone would like.

I know, I was shocked too.  It wasn't one of the stand outs for me in the beginning as it was for most of you, but it has grown on me.
~Sara~

lilwizardman_gelo

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 05:45:35 pm »
I know... It is rubbish, i've been turning to FWF a lot more now. The track I thought was easily skipped was Get Good, but now i'm liking it more and more... Rabbits is an album that can't be listened to once and judged. It's like wine, the older and more you listen to it (or drink it in wines case) it becomes more beautiful and succulent!
~Our minds hold the chaos that started everything~

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 05:49:44 pm »
I know... It is rubbish, i've been turning to FWF a lot more now. The track I thought was easily skipped was Get Good, but now i'm liking it more and more... Rabbits is an album that can't be listened to once and judged. It's like wine, the older and more you listen to it (or drink it in wines case) it becomes more beautiful and succulent!

ABSO FUCKING LUTELY
~Sara~

Byoungforever

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • All I hear is the music....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 06:25:39 pm »
I haven't heard the whole album yet, but based upon what I know, I love Fairweather Friend. I think it is a fantastic song and that it will be a favorite of mine. I have a feeling this person is right about the EP thing, but this album is still going to be fantastic and magical, no matter what. :)

peace
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 07:43:31 pm »
FAIR-WEATHER FRIEND IS MY FAVORITE. SCREW THIS.  ;D

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

HearMyBells

• So you can put your weapons down...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 08:17:05 am »

Couldn't say it any better myself : )

craft

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 03:20:10 pm »

Couldn't say it any better myself : )

Also my favorite.  :)

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 07:49:43 pm »
Before any of her other music came out for this album, and it was just FWF and London, I thought Fairweather Friends was one of her best songs! I feel like...yes, maybe the actual recording of it is a little...stunted...I don't know if that's the right word, but I think live it's an amazing song.
Peace
Adriann

Bruised

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 12:19:58 am »