Author Topic: Let's be creative...  (Read 5807 times)

matchel

• Willing and Able to... Run
  • Magical thinking gets us by
    • View Profile
Let's be creative...
« on: June 27, 2011, 04:48:54 pm »
We should come up with music video ideas for Vanessa's past songs and potential singles.

For example, 'Heroes & Thieves':

She's playing piano in a big mansion and the doorbell rings several times while she plays. She answers it every time only to find the same guy in different disguises. Eventually she becomes fed up and leaves. She returns and lets in the guy just as he is.

Something like that. It would be neat if we could get all the albums :)

Byoungforever

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • All I hear is the music....
    • View Profile
Re: Let's be creative...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 05:53:28 pm »
oooh... this is what i love doing.. envisioning things... haha

I've only heard get good live, but i have this vision where half the video she is playing guitar in her apartment and just chilling there, and the other half, she is dancing in a long shawl on a San Francisco beach... haha... i had some nice images there

Afterglow I envision her playing piano in some studio (don't know the connection), but then also walking around San Francisco as she sings... haha... :)

hmmm.... I Don't Want to Be a Bride, I envision her walking up the isle in a big white dress, but then running out at the second bridge. Her lover then meets her in some abandoned field as the sun sets and she is singing the kings under lavender part then. And also, cut throughout, she is playing the piano in the middle of the field.

lol... I love fantasizing about different videos she could have made... :)
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)

lydia

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:00:06 pm »
ooooh, this sounds fun!
I can see a music video for Dear California.  It starts out with Vanessa walking down the streets in San Fransisco. Then in the second half, you see her driving off in a car with the top down.  (And of course, Lord Victor is there with her.."just me and my pup and the open road")
I can imagine her driving down the highway (no traffic!), singing in her car, and her hair blowing in the wind.
Maybe at the end, she ends up in Nolita :)

WhiteRabbit

• Your true colors shown
  • 'Cause It's All White On White....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:22:05 pm »

hmmm.... I Don't Want to Be a Bride, I envision her walking up the isle in a big white dress, but then running out at the second bridge. Her lover then meets her in some abandoned field as the sun sets and she is singing the kings under lavender part then. And also, cut throughout, she is playing the piano in the middle of the field.

I imagine Bride kinda like that too. Like she's in her big dress and she's walking down the isle and shes looking around at all her friends and family smiling at her and she starts to walk slower and kinda realizes she doesn't actually want that(right about the "don't need a house on a hill..." part) and breaks away from her fathers arm and runs away, right at the part where the chorus starts. And the whole time she's tuning she has little flashes of the guy and her and she starts to slow down when she comes to this field as the second verse ends and the chorus plays again and the guys there and she tells him the chorus kinda and then the bridge could be just them kinda 'living like kings under lavender skies' so it would be like coming close to sunset and then as the video ends the sky becomes all dark

Haha kinda a long rant there

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:28:24 pm »
I don't imagine bride in quite that way because it's not about being in love with someone else while planning on marrying another...it's about not marrying the one you're with because they can be happy and in love without the official title.  I would change it to be that she's walking down the aisle, making eye contact with the groom (Ari? haha) and they both have the realization and run out together to a field of lavender where he then serenades her with the guitar (if we want to be literal)
~Sara~

Byoungforever

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 07:35:36 pm »
I don't imagine bride in quite that way because it's not about being in love with someone else while planning on marrying another...it's about not marrying the one you're with because they can be happy and in love without the official title.  I would change it to be that she's walking down the aisle, making eye contact with the groom (Ari? haha) and they both have the realization and run out together to a field of lavender where he then serenades her with the guitar (if we want to be literal)

lol... sara...s orry... the serenading part was too funny... :) But i could totally see that! :)
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:41:21 pm »

lol... sara...s orry... the serenading part was too funny... :) But i could totally see that! :)

hehe :) I meant it to be funny.  or they could just hold hands and dance in a circle!
~Sara~

Byoungforever

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:47:14 pm »

hehe :) I meant it to be funny.  or they could just hold hands and dance in a circle!

With skye... lol.... :)

matchel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 12:33:21 pm »

With skye... lol.... :)

the childrens choir needs to dance in the circle too haha. maybe they can fit into the wedding also...

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:53:31 pm »
For example, 'Heroes & Thieves':

She's playing piano in a big mansion and the doorbell rings several times while she plays. She answers it every time only to find the same guy in different disguises. Eventually she becomes fed up and leaves. She returns and lets in the guy just as he is.

i really like this idea. it would've been a beautiful music video

initially_yours

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • My official site
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 10:48:53 pm »
I actually have this a whole music video playing in my head whenever I hear "Who's to Say" that I posted in detail on my blog here:  http://aaronchanwriting.wordpress.com/2010/10/28/whos-to-say-vanessa-carlton/.  It makes me cry whenever I hear the song and think about it.

Here's a somewhat shortened version of it that is still pretty long, just a warning:

A young guy is at the piano.  He’s lipsynching to the song, singing it.  It’s morning, and everything is oversaturated with whites and yellows, bright colors.  Obviously it’s sunny and it’s morning.

The young guy walks down the street with his boyfriend, while people around him give them looks.  Someone tells them, “you need to grow” and he replies, “Well, speed’s the key.”  They continue walking down the street, content with each other as people look on, ignorant of who they are.

At the first chorus, he sits watching the news on TV.  People are protesting same-sex marriage, holding up signs that say gay people don’t deserve it, that they should go to hell, etc.  Mean things.  He watches as new reporters interview some people, who seem really angry and wave their signs around.  Insert some shots of gay people on the street also protesting, holding hands, in tears.

The young man sits at a dinner table, talking with his mother.  She scolds him about being in a relationship (“Friends are the ones that [you] lose, ’cause they bleed before you”, “sometimes family are the one s you choose”) while he tries to reason with her (“It’s too late now, I hold onto this life I’ve found”).  The camera dips below the table and he’s holding hands with his boyfriend, who is giving him strength even though he’s not there.

2nd chorus: He keeps reasoning with his mother — not in an angry, “why don’t you understand me?!” teenager way, but in a “Well, mom, who’s to say?”  Intercut this with more shots of him and his boyfriend with saturated background, sunlight pouring around them as they lean in with closed eyes and also intercut with more images from the TV of couples holding hands, protesting their right to marry.

Bridge: The young man at the dinner table still, telling his parents bluntly how they don’t remember what it is like to be young and in love, as they only stare back at him.  At “You never really knew”, they get up from the table and walk away from him.  The camera pulls back as they leave, leaving him sitting all alone at the table.  Fade to black.

The couple pack up his room.  There are slight moments when they have a laugh but they more or less pack without any emotion.  It’s not really a day to be happy nor sad.  Bittersweet.  The parents watch from the doorway, trying to hide their disappointment and also sadness at watching their son leave.  The young man picks up a picture frame of him and his family.  At “but we’re not welcome”, he turns to his parents in the doorway and puts the picture back down, not packing it.

At “soon, we’ll be driving”, the couple drive away from the house as it gets smaller and smaller in the mirror.

Last chorus: Intercut with flashfowards of the couple moving in to their new place, more with the protest on television, and the couple with the light around them.  At “I can’t live without you” they’re both in tuxedos, getting married.  He lipsynchs to his boyfriend the line, which is also cut with the young man at the dinner table again, telling his parents who they are for telling him otherwise.  Intercut more scenes with people at the protest saying, “maybe you’re too old to remember”, and “I just feel it when we’re together” with the couple in the car, driving to their future, as well as the wedding.  At the “Who’s to say?”, the young man asks his parents, his husband at their wedding, the people on tv, and lastly, with the light around them, and at “Who are they anyway?” the young guy looks directly into the camera and mouths the words.

Back to 1st verse: back to the first scene, where it’s morning and the young man is playing piano and singing.  His boyfriend (not yet husband) comes into the room, smiling.  The young man stops playing and smiles back.  He gets up from the piano, walks over to him and kisses him.
Musician, filmmaker, writer: http://www.theaaronchan.com

matchel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 12:17:51 pm »
I have an idea for Fairweather Friend:

Vanessa's playing piano in a big empty room with a giant window-wall thing behind her, showing the weather outside. On top of her piano are pictures of her "FW friends". During the more mellow parts (beginning, 1st chorus, 1st half of bridge, etc...) the weather outside is sunny and flashbacks are shown where V and her friends are having good times and stuff. During the more intense parts (2nd and 3rd verses, 2nd chorus, 2nd half of bridge, etc...) the weather is stormy and flashbacks are shown where her friends abandon or betray her. Towards the end of the video, the window crashes open and the pictures are tossed around. At the very end, she picks up all the pictures, gives a worried look to them, and the video fades out.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 12:32:12 pm »
I want Vanessa to ACT in her next music video.

I had an idea for "Come Undone" where, for the video, the song was turned into a musical in which she'd star as the protagonist in this old, haunting theatre set in England during the 1800s. The audience would be the clappers at the end, obviously. But we'd see the story of the song told on the stage in the musical.

matchel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 04:14:23 pm »
I want Vanessa to ACT in her next music video.

I had an idea for "Come Undone" where, for the video, the song was turned into a musical in which she'd star as the protagonist in this old, haunting theatre set in England during the 1800s. The audience would be the clappers at the end, obviously. But we'd see the story of the song told on the stage in the musical.

ooh that would be neat. perhaps during the coda there would be credits or something