Author Topic: Rabbits on the Run Review - eBurban  (Read 5958 times)

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
Rabbits on the Run Review - eBurban
« on: June 30, 2011, 08:49:08 am »
Vanessa Carlton’s latest release, Rabbits on the Run was nearly four years in the making since her last album and split with The Inc [record label]. Though she spawned a few memorable hits in the early 2000s, Carlton’s had a pretty tumultuous ride through the record industry. Rabbits on the Run transcends this; it’s proof she’s made it out alive and is still going strong.

Lead single “Carousel” is orchestral, charming and sweet. The lyrics are grown up and full of imagery; you can’t help getting caught up in it. On “Dear California” Carlton formulates a lovely blend of 1960s beach pop with a modern twist and succeeds brilliantly. ROTR seems to be trying to integrate her into the contemporary pop scene with a slightly adult-edge. She sounds secure on “I Don’t Want to be a Bride”, as she ruminates on her aversion to marriage with slightly overwrought, yet cute lyrics: “I don’t wanna wear white / you know it’s too late for that / can we keep the ever-after like”. Carlton even seems to channel 90’s lite-rock on “Get Good” with a slight, driving rhythm and gentle vocals.

The weak spots come where the arrangements don’t support the singer’s talent. “Hear the Bells”, is torturously slow and dark, which doesn’t work for her voice and doesn’t speak to her ability. Final track, “In the End” is similarly weak, with a conceptual vibe on a non-conceptual album. It just doesn’t belong. Who wants to hear a Vanessa Carlton song without the intelligent storytelling and meandering piano?

As a whole, Rabbits On The Run is indeed mature, but sleepy — no. Vanessa Carlton has always been an artist that produces a sound and an emotion – in the age of auto-tune, she doesn’t let squeaky clean production envelop her naturally pleasant voice and incredible talent for piano. With this latest release, she is confident and smooth, and at her best; catchy and memorable.

Final Words – Without being life-changing, Rabbits On The Run is refreshing, and a bright spot in today’s pop market.

They gave it a 3 and a half stars.
Peace
Adriann

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
Re: Rabbits on the Run Review - eBurban
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 09:06:34 am »
Final Words – Without being life-changing, Rabbits On The Run is refreshing, and a bright spot in today’s pop market.

well, it definitely changed my life.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 09:25:07 am »
"In the End" is the perfect way to close the album, I think.

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:08:32 am »
Nice review, but I don't think they really "get" Hear the Bells and In The End. I love those songs. Also disagree with the bit about it not being life changing.

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:52:28 am »
I don't know what it takes for an album to be life changing. In all honesty, and I'm a HUGE fan of hers, but if someone of Lady Gaga or Coldplay's stature made this album, it would already be getting early Grammy Predications... I think this album is life changing, and I think if you delve deep enough into the music it becomes clear how life changing it can be. Maybe because he listened to it on the surface once or twice, he doesn't see the significance of the songs as much as we do.
Peace
Adriann

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:02:27 am »
I don't know what it takes for an album to be life changing. In all honesty, and I'm a HUGE fan of hers, but if someone of Lady Gaga or Coldplay's stature made this album, it would already be getting early Grammy Predications... I think this album is life changing, and I think if you delve deep enough into the music it becomes clear how life changing it can be. Maybe because he listened to it on the surface once or twice, he doesn't see the significance of the songs as much as we do.

totally agree.  This is not a one time listen album in order to get it.  But I guess that's the point they are trying to make--it should just catch you the first time and for some (these reviewers) it does not catch them I guess.
~Sara~

lydia

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 12:22:42 pm »

well, it definitely changed my life.
Totally agree.  And I love Hear the Bells and In the End.

Harmonium

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 01:18:13 pm »
Hear the Bells is one of my faves on the album. I love her vocals in it.

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 01:41:08 pm »
I completely agree with this review - especially about In The End, I think it's completely out of place and if I could, I would probably buy the album without it.

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 02:19:00 pm »
In The End was a grower, but after multiple listens I understand it.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 02:32:41 pm »
Hear The Bells, I'm in love with the song. It takes me into some sort of trance. I think it's one of her most beautiful works.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

craft

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 03:26:07 pm »
I like ITE. It's the perfect closer for the album. Only ML comes close to being the perfect album closer.

Byoungforever

• All I hear is the music....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 03:53:39 pm »
That was a positive review.. haha.... :)
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)

Lyris

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 05:58:07 pm »
How come so many people have heard this before the release date?

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 12:33:23 am »
Hahahahahah oh boy...you're behind.
Peace
Adriann