Author Topic: Vanessa Q&A Sound Spike  (Read 3968 times)

OPENROAD

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Vanessa Q&A Sound Spike
« on: July 07, 2011, 04:35:49 pm »
http://www.soundspike.com/features/tour/2504-vanessa_carlton_concert_news_tour_dates/

These are curious and wonderful times for singer/songwriter Vanessa Carlton.

On July 26, Carlton releases "Rabbits on the Run," 10 intimate songs recorded directly to tape that mark a stark departure from her previous, piano-laden pop pieces. The album was recorded in England at Peter Gabriel's renowned Real World Studios with producer Steve Osborne (U2, KT Tunstall).

Aiding in her effort were Osborne, Patrick Hallahan of My Morning Jacket and Ari Ingber of The Upwelling. The album was partly inspired by two books -- Richard Adams' "Watership Down" and Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time." Its first single is "Carousel."

Carlton began playing the piano as a toddler, continuing on an artistic road with her attendance at the School of American Ballet in New York -- a path she would eventually abandon in favor of songwriting. While studying at Columbia University in New York City, Carlton was signed to Interscope Records. She came onto the scene in 2002 with her debut "Be Not Nobody" and its hit single "A Thousand Miles." Since then, she has released three albums, scoring additional hits with the tracks "White Houses" and "Nolita Fairytale."

Calling from Pennsylvania where she was visiting her parents, Carlton recently spoke to SoundSpike about her songwriting process, why this is a "curious" time and working with Osborne.

SoundSpike: Are you looking forward to your tour?

I am. I'm real excited about the venues that we're doing and the cities that we're doing. It's a real quick kind of preview. It's been awhile too, so it's nice to get back out.

Are you a little nervous because it's been so long?

Very nervous. Nervous and excited. I'd like to kind of do something really great.

How much of the new material are you playing live?

That's the thing I'm struggling with. On one hand I'd like to save a couple of the initial experiences you have with these songs for the record for when people can listen to the record. You can never rewrite a first impression. You can never experience a first impression. For all I know the whole thing is leaked. I'm trying to figure out which songs should not be played. Long story short, I'd like to not play the entire record before the record officially comes out. I think that would be foolish. I don't know.
So what can we expect from the shows?
I'm going to play, I believe, two-thirds of "Rabbits on the Run" and then really just my favorites. There are going to be some songs that people know. Honestly, I just want to play my favorite songs. That's my approach. I think if they're my favorite, then I hope other people will like them, too.

What was the songwriting process for "Rabbits on the Run"?

It was a two-year process. The commencement of the writing of the record was really when I wrote "London." [pauses] That's not true. "Marching Line" was a film-scoring idea that I had that I turned into a song. That happened a little before "London." All in all it was two years.
So do you write when you're inspired, or do you make appointments to write?
I think it's important to do both. I love reading about Twila Tharp's creative habits. She's very aware of how important it is to create your own structure in order to come up with your best work. At times, things will just hit you and whether it's on a plane -- a lot of times I write on the plane -- or in the morning, whenever your brain in the freshest. I would say it's a combination of both. I think I'm still honing my process, but I'm very aware of creating habits that will kind of bring out the best work possible.

What inspired the record?

Two books, Richard Adams' "Watership Down" and Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time." The aesthetic in terms of sonics -- the way it was engineered -- Steve Osborne did a masterful job, I think. It was inspired by my vinyl record collection. One other thing was the Langley School Choir was the direct inspiration for the children's choir that appears throughout the record.

What was it like to work with Steve Osborne?

An extraordinary education. I was really enchanted by watching him work. Scary brilliant and also very open and sensitive to what's going on in the moment. I learned a lot about working on flushing out ideas. I also learned how to carry myself as a person. I learned a lot from him. I really felt like I was in grad school or something. He's not professorial. He's a very humble person. He's just a natural-born wizard. He's a young Gandalf or something. I can't say enough good things about him, honestly. Extremely educational, lots of laughs too. Don't get me wrong. It was really intense nights to try to figure stuff out. If you don't have those, you're probably not on the right track.

Do you have other tour plans for later this year?

Yeah we're trying to put something together for fall that would be amazing. We're trying to find the right fit. This is a very transitional record for me in terms of how it's promoted and what kind of radio format it goes on. The tour has to reflect that. It's not like a 21-year-old little pop girl playing piano. It's still part of where I came from. I'm in a different place and maybe the beginning of the rest of my career. I feel it's starting now. It's a curious and wonderful time and scary at the same time. I look forward to having those real exchanges with people in tour. That's when it becomes real for me. I hope people connect with it. I'll find out soon enough, I suppose
Never too late to change the pace
oh how the days creep up on you
but the goodness is something you don't have to chase
cause its following you

Byoungforever

• All I hear is the music....
    • View Profile
Re: Vanessa Q&A Sound Spike
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:49:11 pm »
oooh.... it's ironic that he kinda knows that it got leaked.... haha... but this is a lovely interview.... :)
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 05:39:41 pm »
But the only songs she hasn't played live are hear the bells and in the end.. the rest she has played! (but I guess out of ten songs, not knowing two IS 2/3?)  I really like this [brief] interview.  I especially like this line:

"I'm in a different place and maybe the beginning of the rest of my career"

I think we can expect more from her for years to come!  :D
~Sara~

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 05:40:53 pm »
Very interesting interview.  I'm really looking forward to the fall tour, hopefully she'll come to DC so I can see her.  I'm also interested in knowing what songs she'll play at the preview concerts (although hasn't she done some preview concerts already?  Maybe I should go look at the live shows forum haha) now that I know she's thinking long and hard about it.

And sarab, she played "Hear the Bells" for the first time recently - I can't remember when, it was one of those little things that was streamed online.  I remember listening to it at work, there was no video, just audio.

VaderDawsn

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 06:19:56 pm »
I love this interview!
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »
great interview. yeah, it's weird that she knows about the leak hahah.
and she said now that actually the first song she wrote was the marching line. i'm loving to know more about this song.
and... WHAT? SHE PLAYED HEAR THE BELLS?

sarab

• Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 07:20:31 pm »
Very interesting interview.  I'm really looking forward to the fall tour, hopefully she'll come to DC so I can see her.  I'm also interested in knowing what songs she'll play at the preview concerts (although hasn't she done some preview concerts already?  Maybe I should go look at the live shows forum haha) now that I know she's thinking long and hard about it.

And sarab, she played "Hear the Bells" for the first time recently - I can't remember when, it was one of those little things that was streamed online.  I remember listening to it at work, there was no video, just audio.

Yeah, I remember reading that., but it's not really a staple in her live shows yet.  I didn't try to find the video because I'd like to save that one for my own live experience.  She told us, when Kulp asked, that they are working on how to get the sound right for live shows.
~Sara~

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 09:56:02 pm »
Nice interview.

Lol @ the leak reference.

Rabbits_on_the_run

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 11:59:19 pm »
the beginning of the rest of my career. I feel it's starting now.

Makes me so happy :)

Also liked the "confession" : London wasn't the first song, it was The Marching Line. Actually, I kind of thought it was "Hear The Bells" since this song helped her to escape that "very dark place", I just can't picture "Carousel" being written from a state of depression of something. Anyways!

And she does know about the leak ahah :) That's funny, and sort of stupid, why did they postpone the release, duh! She should have least rushed to release on iTunes after the leak. But that was said a million times already i know.

EDIT : I'm so dumb, Carousel was not written during her depression, it was written after.  ;D Well, in Europe it's early in the morning, guess that's my excuse. Now I see where all the sad songs come from!! The Marching Line, Hear The Bells, London, probably "In The End" and maybe "Tall Tales for Spring"...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:01:56 am by Rabbits_on_the_run »

KULPDOGG

• View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 12:26:12 am »
she played hear the bells (or part of it) at the sound check for the boston show 6/25/11
only me and i think ghisy heard it, kind of had to stick my head against the door, lol, but it sounded amazing, more echo-y and yes, i asked vanessa about it at one of the joe's pub shows, and she told me they're using some special synthesizer to make it sound more like the album (also an indication that she knows i heard it already/knows the album leaked.--obviously lol) and that it's her favorite song and so she really wants to play it, but at that time they're weren't ready/ like didn't practice it enough. she said it might be ready by the next show, but it wasn't. and she hasn't played it at any of the CA shows yet, so.... I'm REALLY hoping she didn't change her mind about playing it...
but who knows, maybe she's waiting for the fall tour.
meh :/

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 04:56:36 am »
I'm really curious how Hear The Bells would sound live. I think it'd sound great with synths and echoes. But what I'm really looking forward to hear is the interlude.

And at the leak reference... Nothing  ::)

I like this interview. And curious that there's no mention of Bride.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

SilverIchor

• Make me high on lullabies
  • Who'd hear of brave deeds when he's ashamed of his
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 03:24:50 pm »
Well, she did perform Hear the Bells live with Stevie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U8Js2lAxMM
"Sometimes, even strength has to bow down to wisdom" - Rick Riordan