Author Topic: Pride Source ROTR Review  (Read 7858 times)

OPENROAD

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Pride Source ROTR Review
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:40:14 pm »
http://www.pridesource.com/article.html?article=48133

Vanessa Carlton, 'Rabbits on the Run'

On Vanessa Carlton's fourth album, it's like she's walked a thousand miles - from that image of the pop balladeer she once was. The ballads are there on "Rabbits on the Run," but they take on a Tori-lite sound, with that same etherealness. Having come out as bisexual last year and signing to an indie label could be catalysts for the sense of freedom she thankfully employs on this project, made of 10 songs that are as intimate as she's ever been.

"Carousel" begins familiarly, and then drifts into a dreamy soundscape that sucks you in with its enchanting use of handclaps, orchestral airiness and Carlton's underrated voice. That's especially true on "Hear the Bells," where she hauntingly sings in her lower register - and sounds brilliantly moody doing so. "Fairweather Friend" builds like a Coldplay triumph; "Get Good" relies on guitar instead of piano to drive a hearty melody; and she takes a chance with "In the End," the closing piano ballad a la Sarah McLachlan's "Last Dance." Sonically, some of "Rabbits on the Run" is monotonous, and absolutely none of it sounds radio-made - though the jaunty "Tall Tales for Spring" or the almost-Taylor Swift "I Don't Want to Be a Bride" would probably have the broadest appeal. But this album's not meant for mainstream. And with music this good, so what? Grade: B
Never too late to change the pace
oh how the days creep up on you
but the goodness is something you don't have to chase
cause its following you

reveng_desire

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - sammy0190@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SpiratiesAnon
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - reveng_desire
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pride Source ROTR Review
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:37:20 am »
Ew, I am so over this "herp a derp she's a bisexual!" crap.
Do You Notice How Many Lonely Hearts Are LUNATICS Out There??

vcfan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:42:43 am »
i wonder when they're gonna stop mentioning ATM

Harmonium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 09:45:52 am »

Haha, i think shes gonna have to live with ATM for the rest of her life.

initially_yours

• View Profile
    • My official site
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:59:42 pm »
But this album's not meant for mainstream. And with music this good, so what? Grade: B

EXACTLY.  Finally, a reviewer who understands that just because an album isn't commercially appealing and sells a zillion copies, doesn't mean it's a failure.
Musician, filmmaker, writer: http://www.theaaronchan.com

OPENROAD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:32:11 pm »

I hope never, I understand why it can be annoying in that she is so much more, but commercially that was her huge single, that most of the public will know, when I tell people I love Vanessa, they go "who", as soon as they play ATM, they know it immediately.

Also ATM really is an incredible song, it is one of those songs that will never sound dated imo.

cause its following you

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 02:51:25 pm »

I hope never, I understand why it can be annoying in that she is so much more, but commercially that was her huge single, that most of the public will know, when I tell people I love Vanessa, they go "who", as soon as they play ATM, they know it immediately.

Also ATM really is an incredible song, it is one of those songs that will never sound dated imo.

I agree with this. It's a classic for the kids of 90's. And seriously, who could ever forget that riff?

And yes, she is evolving. But to me, she'll always be the ballerina who found freedom in piano.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

OPENROAD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 02:56:20 pm »

I agree with this. It's a classic for the kids of 90's. And seriously, who could ever forget that riff?

And yes, she is evolving. But to me, she'll always be the ballerina who found freedom in piano.

Hey not just for the kids  ;)  I was 27 when it came out  :)
cause its following you

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 03:01:10 pm »

that's very poetic.  I like that a lot.
~Sara~

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 03:38:32 pm »
Ew, I am so over this "herp a derp she's a bisexual!" crap.

The website is called PRIDE source for a reason.

Byoungforever

• All I hear is the music....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 08:05:04 pm »
But this album's not meant for mainstream. And with music this good, so what? Grade: B

EXACTLY.  Finally, a reviewer who understands that just because an album isn't commercially appealing and sells a zillion copies, doesn't mean it's a failure.

I just like that someone finally acknowledged the reality that this album is not commercial.... I think too many people are hoping and/or saying it is when it isn't. :)
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 09:04:46 pm »
I can't believe they compared her to Taylor Swift.
Outrageous.

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 09:26:41 am »
i really like this song-by-song kind of review. but they forgot the marching line haha.
yeah, wether we like it or not, a thousand miles IS the top of her career (maybe not for us, cuz we are nessaholics and we know much more than a thousand miles haha), and it is the song that made her name. but i agree it's kinda weird that every review starts almost the same.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 09:58:36 am »
it's a good thing "ATM" is still getting mentioned. without it we'd have had no new music.

fizzybubblespop

• http://i.imgur.com/saOJMlL.png
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 05:08:22 pm »
I can't believe they compared her to Taylor Swift.
Outrageous.

Agreed.