Author Topic: npr music interview  (Read 2273 times)

Harmonium

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
npr music interview
« on: July 23, 2011, 06:25:12 am »
Don't think this one has been posted? Short interview and they let you listen to IDWBAB and TTFS.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/24/138575166/a-few-of-vanessa-carltons-favorite-things

July 24, 2011
Vanessa Carlton started her career intending to become a professional ballet dancer, but instead, she followed her dreams of becoming a musician. Now, she's a classically trained pianist, a singer and a songwriter. Her 2002 debut album, Be Not Nobody, earned three Grammy nominations. She's followed up that smash debut with three more albums, the latest of which is titled Rabbits on the Run.

Carlton tells Weekend Edition Sunday guest host Linda Wertheimer that her new album was inspired by a diverse host of writers and artists, including Stephen Hawking and his book, A Brief History of Time.

"I love the universal idea of chaos theory — that there are these little blips and these little moments where you can't really make sense of things," Carlton says. "And then, things start to dismantle in a way, and you're like, 'How does that happen?' Then they come together again, and it's beautiful again. ... I find that makes perfect sense to me now."

Carlton says she was also inspired by Watership Down, Richard Adams' fantasy novel about a group of rabbits — hence the album's title. Her biggest influence, however, was her parents' collection of '70s vinyl records, whose warm sound moved her to record the album on analog tape, rather than digitally.

"It might as well have been 1974," Carlton says. "When I put on the test pressing of the record, I was like, 'I can listen to this, and then I can put on a Fleetwood Mac record, and then I can put on my Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young record, and then I can put on my Rickie Lee Jones.' I'm not saying that I'm some master songwriter, as they are. But the sound of it — they belong to the same family."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:29:38 am by Harmonium »

lydia

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Re: npr music interview
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:24:11 am »
Vanessa was actually interviewed on NPR this morning!  It was interesting, she talked about the album and stuff. They also played clips from some of the songs, and it was great to hear them on the radio!  :D Lots of people listen to NPR, so this probably gave her a lot of publicity for the album!
When you click on the link, it says audio from the interview will be posted later today, so you can go and listen to it if you didn't get to hear it.

Harmonium

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 08:21:34 am »
Vanessa was actually interviewed on NPR this morning!  It was interesting, she talked about the album and stuff. They also played clips from some of the songs, and it was great to hear them on the radio!  :D Lots of people listen to NPR, so this probably gave her a lot of publicity for the album!
When you click on the link, it says audio from the interview will be posted later today, so you can go and listen to it if you didn't get to hear it.

The audio is up now!

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:59:42 am »
loving hear the bells in the background.  Any one who doesn't want to listen to the album yet, I don't recommend listening to this because they play some songs!  I don't like how that lady says VANnessa. lol.  okay interview.
~Sara~

Byoungforever

• All I hear is the music....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 11:58:20 am »
THis interview is great... I like how they always add snippets of the songs in their interviews.... :)
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)