Author Topic: I've been gone for a while.. new song!  (Read 7042 times)

Serentic

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - serentic
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've been gone for a while.. new song!
« on: October 22, 2011, 10:51:31 am »
Hi guys! I'm so sorry I've been gone for a while! School is crazy, and I'm actually in the middle of songwriting for a demo.

Which is why I'm back! I'd love some input on this song. This is pretty much the first recording of it so it's pretty unrefined, but if you could listen to it and comment I'd be forever grateful!
It's called 'Strange Dreams', which is also the name of the demo album.

All parts of this song are written, recorded, played, and sung by me. All rights reserved.

http://soundcloud.com/serentic/strange-dreams-3

Onyx

• Let's make this our story
    • View Profile
Re: I've been gone for a while.. new song!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:32:08 am »
I really like the song!!! I especially like the piano. Well done!

Serentic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 11:52:30 am »
Thank you so much, Onyx! <3

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 03:11:21 pm »
Mesmerizing piano arrangement, it's beautiful. The vocals are pretty polished, too. If this was edited in a studio, it'd make a lovely track. Nice job!

And I can relate to the song itself.. strange dreams have been keeping me asleep lately, and making me late for classes.  :D

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 08:25:02 pm »
HOLY COW.

This is good stuff. I don't usually like songs that have staccato in the verses, but this is just an exception. Brilliant!!!!

You should post a video! I want to learn the riff!

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 01:10:11 am »
That is a wonderful piano arrangement, and the melody harmonies work excellently. 10/10 !

Serentic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 05:06:25 am »
Aww, thanks so much everyone! <3

@Pupmagic: If I can get into a studio to rerecord it, I plan on doing so. LOL I sang this with a horrible sore throat, but thanks! The lyrics are special to me too <3

@Sobri: I'll get on that! I can also write up some sheet music and get that to you first because I have some other things to do today before I can get to posting a video. And lol, I don't normally like staccato either, but it fit so well! It just works so well with the bouncy riff. (:

@AG: Thank you so much! <3

Everyone's support means so much to me. Thank you for listening, guys! <3

fizzybubblespop

• Make me high on lullabies
  • http://i.imgur.com/saOJMlL.png
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 02:01:53 pm »
You're amazing! I'd totally buy an album from you someday. You've got some real talent.  :D

Serentic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:58:27 pm »
You're amazing! I'd totally buy an album from you someday. You've got some real talent.  :D

Thank you! <3 I'm really trying to decide between music and medical studies. I've gotten a few internships at hospitals, but music for me is a passion and it's something I can keep trying at without tiring of it. Your support means a lot to me. <3

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 06:19:46 pm »

Thank you! <3 I'm really trying to decide between music and medical studies. I've gotten a few internships at hospitals, but music for me is a passion and it's something I can keep trying at without tiring of it. Your support means a lot to me. <3

I can relate! I'm a Human Biology major, but I love everything/anything music quite a bit.. that I've considered becoming a musical director, but I have to be realistic and set my path down medicine. But yes, I'd love to see more work that you'll produce. Keep it up  :) even if it's just a hobby..

Serentic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 06:24:14 pm »

I can relate! I'm a Human Biology major, but I love everything/anything music quite a bit.. that I've considered becoming a musical director, but I have to be realistic and set my path down medicine. But yes, I'd love to see more work that you'll produce. Keep it up  :) even if it's just a hobby..

I'd be a physics major, and then into med school. But I'm only a junior in high school right now, so I have time to assess my options. C: Human bio is a difficult major. I'm happy you're going for it, but you always have to balance what will benefit you most with what you want to do. Most difficult choice ever. xD

I'm honestly not sure. I might go to college for physics and then see what I can do in the mean time. If I get a record deal, maybe then my thoughts would change.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 08:09:44 pm »

I'd be a physics major, and then into med school. But I'm only a junior in high school right now, so I have time to assess my options. C: Human bio is a difficult major. I'm happy you're going for it, but you always have to balance what will benefit you most with what you want to do. Most difficult choice ever. xD

I'm honestly not sure. I might go to college for physics and then see what I can do in the mean time. If I get a record deal, maybe then my thoughts would change.

We're in a quite same situation. I was torn too between Applied Math and Music back on my Junior year. The deciding factor ended up on what I should do now and what I could do in the future. I made up my mind that music, no matter age I'll be, will always be within me. And unlike Math, I won't get much opportunity if I would be taking that up later on in my life.

Anyway, I'm now in my Senior year and I already submitted by applications. I listed down Math as my first and Physics as my second (nerd, I know). Music, I did not list it down. I don't think it's something I want to study. I want it to be something organic in me, like something that comes from me naturally, not based on my studies.

Besides, some of classical pieces bores me.  ;D

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

fizzybubblespop

• Make me high on lullabies
  • http://i.imgur.com/saOJMlL.png
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 10:44:00 am »

We're in a quite same situation. I was torn too between Applied Math and Music back on my Junior year. The deciding factor ended up on what I should do now and what I could do in the future. I made up my mind that music, no matter age I'll be, will always be within me. And unlike Math, I won't get much opportunity if I would be taking that up later on in my life.

Anyway, I'm now in my Senior year and I already submitted by applications. I listed down Math as my first and Physics as my second (nerd, I know). Music, I did not list it down. I don't think it's something I want to study. I want it to be something organic in me, like something that comes from me naturally, not based on my studies.

Deciding between a create and realistic (for lack of a better word) career path is always hard. But I always remember that some of the best writers, artists, and so on (including V) never got a degree in their field.

Serentic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 12:12:13 pm »

Deciding between a create and realistic (for lack of a better word) career path is always hard. But I always remember that some of the best writers, artists, and so on (including V) never got a degree in their field.

#longlistofquotes

@Sobri: I'm good with theory and history so I don't know whether or not sitting through a class to relearn them would be easy or frustratingly boring. :P But I agree, music should be organic. I don't believe strongly in properly structuring music -- to me, that seems like someone made a model and everyone else had to strive to fit it perfectly. That's not really what I'd be singing for. I honestly think I'm going to end up picking a school that is strong in both premedical studies and music, and then maybe close to New York City or Los Angeles -- that way I can still try and market myself. If I get a record deal, I'll switch majors from physics to music. (:

@Bubbles: I know! I want a degree and I have the drive for it, but I see what you're saying. I'm just not ready to limit my options yet, because I still have a long ways to go. xD

Serentic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 08:50:47 am »
HEY EVERYONE. If you want the sheet music, you can download it from here!:

le sheet music c:

Sorry it took so long, my life's been crazy busy lately. Exams and SATs and things like that, plus I've been working on an album. And I reworked the song to use lots more than just voice and piano! Have a look.