Author Topic: San Francisco  (Read 11516 times)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
San Francisco
« on: January 28, 2012, 05:38:52 pm »
Hey everyone! I'm headed out to San Fran this year, at the end of April/beginning of May for my anniversary!  I just wanted to get input on what areas I should check out from those of you who live there or have been there.  Any V related areas that are a must see? Thanks for any input.
~Sara~

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
  • Thanks for everything, V
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 06:50:39 pm »
V lived in North Beach with Stephan for a few years (on and off apparently), so you can definitely check that neighborhood out. She's also been seen running through the Palace of Fine Arts in the Marina/Presidio in her "Pleased To Meet You" vid. You've also got the beach that V ran through in the vid, called Baker's Beach, which looks cleaner than Ocean Beach to me, and the famous GG bridge.

My mom knew a few co-workers that loved a place called "The Stinking Rose", which is a garlic-themed restaurant. I usually head to North Beach for Italian or this Asian fusion restaurant (finer dining) called "House". If you're celebrating your anniversary, you can consider adding it to your restaurant list. Food = delicious, but service can be a little snooty.

But yeah, North Beach practically intertwined with Chinatown, so you can always roam there, too, for baked goods, cheap souvenirs, and generally cheap, tasty Chinese.

If you find yourself looking for great breakfast, one of my favs is "The Village Grill", within Outer Sunset/ West Portal. It's fairly crowded around 12-1pm on weekends, so be sure to get there early if you don't like waiting 15 minutes or so. "Squat & Gobble" is another option a few blocks away. If I had to rank my Top 3 neighborhoods, they would be:

1) Sunset (especially West Portal and Irving!)
2) North Beach (a number of yummy eateries, like "Golden Boy Pizza")
3) Richmond (Clement St, etc)

And as always, try avoiding touristy areas, like Fisherman's Wharf, Downtown, Embarcadero, and the Zoo, unless you don't mind spending extra $$. Best for you to do your research before heading out there.

AND,.. if you're interested in overlooking SF, try Twin Peaks. Arguably the best view of the entire city, although I've never had a problem walking by Portola Ave either.

My last word is on museums. My favorite has always been SFMOMA, although the ticket prices are a little steep. I enjoyed the Frida Kahlo exhibit they had 2 years ago or so.

But anyways, you can always search on Yelp for other dining suggestions, popular shops, and other attractions. Have fun!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 07:04:38 pm by pupmagic »

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:55:05 pm »
wow thanks for all the info! Do you live in the area?  We are actually staying in Fisherman's wharf, haha!  We are tourists so we are going to do some touristy things!  we will probably have a car for part of the trip but not for most of it so I wanted to stay somewhere with access to the street car/public transportation.  Thanks again!
~Sara~

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:05:08 pm »
Yeah, it's my hometown. I'm currently away for school, though. Talking about the city makes me miss it so much more! I guess you can check out the places I recommended only if you have time and happen to be in that hood. 

But all I can say is that you'll be at the tourist hot spot since you're staying at a hotel there. I don't go to the wharf too often, so I can't list any restaurants or fav shops. All of your souvenir stores are there, and seafood goodness, of course.

Speaking of transportation, you should definitely ride a cable car (for the fun of it). It doesn't get you very far in the city, just a heads up. I will also note to you that the underground street cars (Muni Metro) are the fastest, most convenient way of getting from point A to B within different neighborhoods. I prefer riding Metro over regular Muni street buses.

If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Happy planning!

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:53:57 pm »
I really appreciate all your input.  We are staying at the raddison, it was really nicely priced with good reviews.  My sister has a friend who recently moved there so I had asked her what parts to stay away from, she said Tenderloin, mostly at night, would you agree?  A lot of hotels in our budget were in that area -- I think I would rather be safe in tourist country than a little unsafe!  I also read on this one web page about the wharf and how touristy it is and actually bad food (except the sour dough and fresh street crab) at a high price.  We plan on going to Alcatraz so we will probably do that, pier 39, and the wharf that day.  I'm trying to plan it out so that we group all activities in one area together.  How bad is the walking/hills really?  I know one street is the steepest and has stairs..I'm a large girl and I'm having a little trouble imagining myself walking very well/far with all the hills.  I hope to lose weight by then, I really must or I might have a heart attack!
~Sara~

Serentic

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - serentic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:51:31 pm »
I really appreciate all your input.  We are staying at the raddison, it was really nicely priced with good reviews.  My sister has a friend who recently moved there so I had asked her what parts to stay away from, she said Tenderloin, mostly at night, would you agree?  A lot of hotels in our budget were in that area -- I think I would rather be safe in tourist country than a little unsafe!  I also read on this one web page about the wharf and how touristy it is and actually bad food (except the sour dough and fresh street crab) at a high price.  We plan on going to Alcatraz so we will probably do that, pier 39, and the wharf that day.  I'm trying to plan it out so that we group all activities in one area together.  How bad is the walking/hills really?  I know one street is the steepest and has stairs..I'm a large girl and I'm having a little trouble imagining myself walking very well/far with all the hills.  I hope to lose weight by then, I really must or I might have a heart attack!

When I went as a child, the Wharf was really just a tourist trap. Even as I child I recognized that it wasn't the best place to visit in the city. I was young though, so the only thing I can really remember is that it's consistently super crowded. Also, up on North Beach is a really nice gelato place named Gelateria Naia. You might try it. (:

AND THAT IS THE EXTENT OF MY KNOWLEDGE OF SAN FRANCISCO.

/bow

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 10:35:07 pm »
Golden Boy pizza in North Beach is AMAZING. I live in the Sunset and it definitely has its lovely spots. My favorite place is this spot in the Lower Haight. Cafe Du Soleil…amazing coffee and lovely company.
Peace
Adriann

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 04:13:52 pm »

I cannot disagree. I've heard way too many complaints about food down at the wharf. But if it helps to ease any of your worries, there's an In-N-Out down at one of the ends of the wharf! :) Never fails for me! And of course, it's no surprise that there's a Boudin Bakery cafe, which I've concluded makes the best chain-restaurant clam chowder. The prices are definitely higher than the other Boudins within the city, but it never hurts to have a bowl. You could always travel downtown near the Westfield mall to find the other Boudin location. Prices a little steep there, too, but I'd believe would be a little cheaper. What can I say, you're a tourist in a tourists' rat trap (as Serentic mentions as well).

If you have any questions, keep 'em coming! I may also add that I'm probably more helpful in giving you more recommendations on local restaurants, etc. Haha.

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 04:15:23 pm »
Golden Boy pizza in North Beach is AMAZING. I live in the Sunset and it definitely has its lovely spots. My favorite place is this spot in the Lower Haight. Cafe Du Soleil…amazing coffee and lovely company.

We are Nessaholics within very close proximity. I'm a fellow sunset resident. Outer sunset, that is. I'm not in the city right now, but very cool to know!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:53:44 am by pupmagic »

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 02:07:16 am »
I think the icing on this cake would be if V had a show while I was in town.  My husband would probably not be excited but I sure would!  I'd make him go! (and then we could all hook up too!)
PLEASE VANESSA?

Just my question about the hills...are they reallllly that bad? I'm just worried about them.  I will be getting some new sneakers before we go, that's for sure (plus we want to go to Muir Woods so I'll need them for there too)

Thanks for all the food input (as I love it), I'm sure we'll be fine with travelling a little bit out of the area to get food.  Plus there is always a grocery store for snacks and drinks.
~Sara~

beautydivine

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 12:03:02 pm »
Too bad your anniversary wasn't during the summer in July; that was the month of her venue (7/7 I believe). I definitely went, and as I presume for every other show, it was absolutely wonderful. PLEASE COME BACK TO SF SOMETIME SOON, V. WE MISS YA.

I'd say there are quite a few hills around the general downtown area, and spread around the city. But if you want specific ones: here you go: http://gosanfrancisco.about.com/od/thingstoseeanddo/tp/hillsofsf.htm

If you visit Cliff House, there's a windy hill/road around that area. Hmm.. Chinatown can be hilly, too. But trust me; there's usually a way around the hills, so if you encounter a steep one, you can catch a bus or walk a few blocks left/right to get around it. Walking in SF is definitely a great workout (I sweat bullets after walking through half of my neighborhood).

Tennis shoes are a MUST. Make sure that you've already broken into the pair you plan to bring, too. Best chance of avoiding blisters!

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 11:41:29 pm »
Hey everyone! I'm headed out to San Fran this year, at the end of April/beginning of May for my anniversary!  I just wanted to get input on what areas I should check out from those of you who live there or have been there.  Any V related areas that are a must see? Thanks for any input.

Depending on when you go, I know of a few shows (I'll be at) ;) end of April, beginning of May. Check the Giants schedule. We have a beautiful ballpark. Check out the pics from my B-day in my FB. I know they are in town the first week of May. I may do another birthday celebration there.

If you do Alcatraz be sure to get your tickets online ahead of time. It's always been hard to go same day and now with the show, it's even harder.

I did a double decker bus tour with some friends last year that was cool. We got our tickets right at Pier 39 and caught it there.

Definitely do Boudin's and have some sourdough bread or better yet, Clam Chowder in a bread bowl. There's one at the warf and one at Pier 39. Also a few in the area. And in the airport :)

I second the cable car and go to or walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. The Ferry Building is a must too, lots of cute little shops and on the weekend a farmer's market.

If you have a car check out Napa.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 06:20:12 am »

Depending on when you go, I know of a few shows (I'll be at) ;) end of April, beginning of May. Check the Giants schedule. We have a beautiful ballpark. Check out the pics from my B-day in my FB. I know they are in town the first week of May. I may do another birthday celebration there.

If you do Alcatraz be sure to get your tickets online ahead of time. It's always been hard to go same day and now with the show, it's even harder.

I did a double decker bus tour with some friends last year that was cool. We got our tickets right at Pier 39 and caught it there.

Definitely do Boudin's and have some sourdough bread or better yet, Clam Chowder in a bread bowl. There's one at the warf and one at Pier 39. Also a few in the area. And in the airport :)

I second the cable car and go to or walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. The Ferry Building is a must too, lots of cute little shops and on the weekend a farmer's market.

If you have a car check out Napa.

That is exactly when we'll be in town the April 27-4th.  I read that about Alcatraz too.  We will have a car for part of the trip, how far away is Napa?  Thanks for the input!
~Sara~

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 10:59:32 pm »
Well you should definitely meet me at the Katie show on the 3rd at the Independent!! You HAVE to take in a show!! Especially Katie :)

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 07:28:35 am »
Well you should definitely meet me at the Katie show on the 3rd at the Independent!! You HAVE to take in a show!! Especially Katie :)

I saw that she'd be in town when you posted her tour dates.  I will definitely consider it.  If not, maybe at least meet up for drinks after or something!
~Sara~