Author Topic: 07/1/12 - V w/The Cal Phil Orchestra at the Walt Disney Concert Hall (review)  (Read 13147 times)

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
Who's to Say is definitely my favourite, it really sounds triumphant when she sings it and the orchestra is amazing.

Weisz

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
i f* need in my life a "vanessa carlton experience concert" in HD lol.

i just cant with whos to say, that godamn song make me weep like a sissy.
It's just me....and a drum. brmbrmbrmbrmbrbbrbrbrmmm

Still stars through a window, will they ever know this madness, madness of the

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
WTS is pretty freaking magical :)
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
The Chords for a Cause FB page posted this video of ATM:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151240133919552

They also posted some pics from the show:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151240106109552.566591.392229469551&type=1

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:16:05 am by Arwen »

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
So I may get severely beaten for this, but am I the only one not thrilled with the way it sounds?!  While I'm sure it was much different in person, it just sounds like a bunch of noise to me.  It's probably just my tastes, since I also am not thrilled with the production of some of Harmonium and H&T (percussion and the such).  I just love the pure, raw piano so much!  I am still really excited to experience it myself in north carolina this fall though.  I'll have to give the songs another listen, and when I'm not interrupted by my husband.

I STILL THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GOING AND GETTING THE RECORDINGS!!!!!
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
So I may get severely beaten for this, but am I the only one not thrilled with the way it sounds?!  While I'm sure it was much different in person, it just sounds like a bunch of noise to me.  It's probably just my tastes, since I also am not thrilled with the production of some of Harmonium and H&T (percussion and the such).  I just love the pure, raw piano so much!  I am still really excited to experience it myself in north carolina this fall though.  I'll have to give the songs another listen, and when I'm not interrupted by my husband.

I STILL THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GOING AND GETTING THE RECORDINGS!!!!!

I agree that it sounds unusually noisy, and I think it's because we're not hearing live.

BUT I LOVE IT!!

And since I'm a sucker for marching bands and Vanessa Carlton, 'The Marching Line' is the perfect song for me from this set!

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
I know what you mean. I think it's really cool to hear the songs this way and in some parts I think it sounded really beautiful. But sometimes it sounded really... "Disney" is the only way I can really describe it. Which I guess makes sense since it was the Disney hall? IDK, that is my only complaint is that with some of the songs you can practically see a Disney princess frolicking around which I guess isn't necessarily a bad thing but not exactly Vanessa either. I think the song where you can most hear this is ATM.
But, I loved listening to them and I am eternally grateful for those who took recordings for us. I am super psyched for the orchestra concert in October!

lavender skies

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Yep. I am soooo grateful for these recordings! Seriously WTS is amazing. I'm not really liking her new singing voice though, sounds a little to babyish. When she was live it used to be that she almost screamed her songs and now it's like she almost sings them too soft. I guess the softness will fit her next record, though.

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
I would love to hear Fools Like Me with an orchestra.  Or Home with a big finish!  yowza!

Why does everyone always wanna hear ATM and OD and WH lol  booo!!!! :)
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

Ships On Gray Seas

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
    • Me on facebook
I would love to hear Fools Like Me with an orchestra.  Or Home with a big finish!  yowza!

You're so right, Fools Like Me or Home would be awesome!
I suppose they always want those songs cause they hardly know any others. :/ But yeah, it gets boring hearing her play the same songs over and over again.

fizzybubblespop

• Make me high on lullabies
  • http://i.imgur.com/saOJMlL.png
    • View Profile

That would be great! Fools Like Me is a classic (to me) and Home would've been breathtaking with the orchestra. Personally, I enjoyed The Marching Line the best out of this set. I loved the unique twist with the drums.

The song I'd most like to hear with the orchestra, though, is This Time. Haha, am I the only one who loves that song?

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email

I agree. Hands on Me would be pretty awesome too.

davidjp

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • MSN Messenger - hon8888@hotmail.com
    • View Profile

That would be great! Fools Like Me is a classic (to me) and Home would've been breathtaking with the orchestra. Personally, I enjoyed The Marching Line the best out of this set. I loved the unique twist with the drums.

The song I'd most like to hear with the orchestra, though, is This Time. Haha, am I the only one who loves that song?

The live version of This Time is soo good. Too bad on the record, the tempo is slowed down :(
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.

thosewhorun

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is it just me or does it sound like vanessa and the orchestra are constantly going in and out of time with one another? It's like either she is playing too fast or they are playing too slow... On almost all of them. Maybe its just the recording?

Martin.

• Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
^ It's not just you, lol. I hate the drumming in "The Marching Line" too! :X

And V sounds a pitchy mess on "This Time". I'm surprised at Linda Perry for that. The live version is much better.

I'd love to see "She Floats" performed with an orchestra, but I'm guessing I've got more chance of having a chat with Michael Jackson.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:10:44 am by Martin. »