Author Topic: 10.27.12 Trask Coliseum -Wilmington, NC (review)  (Read 5275 times)

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
10.27.12 Trask Coliseum -Wilmington, NC (review)
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:09:20 pm »
The show was awesome! And it was wonderful to see Sara again!

I think the setlist was:

Carousel
Tall Tales For Spring
Who's To Say
White Houses
Marching Line
ATM
IDWBAB

Carousel and IDWBAB were performed with this vocal group from the local high school. They sounded really good. They even did the claps in Carousel even though they missed it the first time. I feel like I'm forgetting a song though?

She didn't talk very much in between songs. It did sound really beautiful with the orchestra. I think my favorite of the night was either TTFS or Who's To Say.

Here are a few pics from my cell phone which takes crappy pictures. She was bringing the sexy back though! She was in a gorgeous one shouldered dress with a high slit.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:48:39 am by Arwen »

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:28:31 am »
Cool, thanks for the set list, and I hope you had a really great time yesterday. I'm not sure why, but your pictures aren't loading, but I look forward to seeing them when you have time to re-upload, or my computer sorts itself out.

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:52:01 am »
Coming to you from my kindle so I will b brief I don't think you missed a song I can double check when I get home. Twas a good show but I think she was rushed. It would have been better if she went on first. That's all for now.
~Sara~

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 10.27.12 Trask Coliseum -Wilmington, NC (review)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:00:31 pm »
Thanks for the pics and review. Wish I could have made it out.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:48:14 am »
Those are great pictures. Your seat was way better than mine and we were in the same row!  (And you all see the pumpkin right? lol.  I totally thought she was going to turn it around and light it.  That would have been amazing.  It was not up during Edwin's set (I have a pic).

So my official review is that it was lovely.  The symphony sounded really great, especially since with Edwin's music they sounded like a bunch of noise or you could not hear them at all.  There were sound issues during that set and thank goodness not during Vanessa's.  I think the choir was wonderful (even though they missed the claps the first time around in Carousel (well one girl did it).  I so badly wanted to clap but I wanted to record too..  At first Vanessa said she wasn't going to talk much which may have put people off a bit, but you could tell she was a bit nervous.  She did start to open up and cracked a few Vanessa jokes like she does.  she also mentioned at one point she would tell us "just a sliver" about the new album but did not.  Bride was beautiful but she did not utilize the symphony that much, or as much as I would have expected, for the build up to the end.  Marching line was my favorite, though she did start to sing the wrong words during the first verse.  I thought it was hilarious that at the end, she did her salute, then tried to leave, but all the kids were around her and she couldn't get out.  The poor thing looked like she wanted to escape but was caged in!  So she turned around and saluted again.  My final conclusion is that, while the symphony and choir are a completely different experience and add something to her performance, they also take something away.  I really enjoy it being just her, the piano, and an accompanist or two.  I think for some songs, she does need some background singers (like bride, carousel, htb) but otherwise, unadulterated Vanessa is all I require.

I'm going to try getting my videos up, but I'm already having issues, so it might take awhile.  Also, I must not have been paying close attention because I wasn't recording TTFS when I thought I was  so there is only half a song.  I forgot to mention that one up in my review, I really enjoyed that one as well.
~Sara~

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 09:56:12 am »
thank you for all the information :)
but i was so disappointed because i think it's already time for new songs  :(
well, maybe next time.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:21:11 pm by Fred_Saboya »

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:23:36 am »
disappointing because she didn't play new songs?  I knew she wasn't going to -- I mean, think about it.  The orchestra had to have the music weeks in advance in order to practice and learn.  She probably doesn't have any new stuff ready to the point of having arrangements for new stuff, she's only just figuring them all out this past month.  I thought maybe she would at least given some info, which she said she was going to but never did.

My videos would not load here, so I am uploading them to my youtube channel.  It has taken all day, there is about 1.25 songs left to upload so check that out for videos.  My name for youtube channel is MrsSaraB.
~Sara~

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:33:03 am »
Thanks for the reviews & glad you all had fun.

Vanessa looks and sounds fantastic. It's understandable why she didn't play any new songs, so I'm not too fussed about that. She'll debut them when the time's right. :)

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 03:20:51 pm »
disappointing because she didn't play new songs?  I knew she wasn't going to -- I mean, think about it.  The orchestra had to have the music weeks in advance in order to practice and learn.  She probably doesn't have any new stuff ready to the point of having arrangements for new stuff, she's only just figuring them all out this past month.  I thought maybe she would at least given some info, which she said she was going to but never did.

yes, you're right. but it's been a long time since the last concert, so i thought she would play something new. and we don't know when we will have another one and it's freaking me out. I JUST CAN'T WAIT! haha

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 04:32:02 pm »
she said at the show this was her last show for the year...but it's almost november, so the end of the year isn't too far off.  I'm sure once the record is done or half done there will be plenty of shows.   Though I'm not sure I can travel anymore to see her.  I think the farthest I'd go is NYC again, (or to where I have family) no more flying off to where ever!
~Sara~

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 06:42:56 pm »
Thanks for the videos! They're awesome.

I think that she could have utilized the choir better, especially in Bride. Maybe if there were no claps at the beginning but there were only humming or so, it would have been haunting.

And Who's To Say - that's one of the best. The last time she did the same thing/arrangement to the song was back to 2008, I think. It is at its best.

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

HearMyBells

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • So you can put your weapons down...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 07:22:35 pm »
Who's to say was a show stopper : )

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 10:40:38 pm »

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 12:37:06 pm »
Interesting tidbit -- I just saw a commercial for project runway in which the woman who was at this benefit will be in.  The lady had a canine for service and gave a speech at the show.  Just thought it was interesting to share.
~Sara~