Author Topic: Re: 10/10 - StageOne - Fairfield, CT (review)  (Read 10865 times)

Rick

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • building up falling apart—
    • AOL Instant Messenger - j3llyb0nes
    • View Profile
    • blog
Re: 10/10 - StageOne - Fairfield, CT (review)
« on: October 10, 2013, 07:37:22 pm »
Hello! So the experience was not what I expected it to be, it was everything AND MORE. It is quite late but I captured some pretty good video of the new songs she performed. My video stopped halfway through her set because my phone had no more memory. Before I go to bed, I will post the setlist and I'll post the vids/my recap eventually.

Setlist:
Carousel
Hands On Me
Nolita Fairytale
House of Seven Swords
Take It Easy
Willows
White Houses
Tall Tales for Spring
Who's to Say
Get Good
Hear the Bells
I Don't Want to be a Bride
The Marching Line
[encore]
A Thousand Miles
Home

Cool things to note:
- The new songs were played in a truer representation of what they'll sound like on the new album. Skye used a bunch of rigs and loop pedals and the sonics were incredible
- Vanessa announced her pregnancy again, stated that she usually has wine or whiskey when she plays a show but she can't do that anymore since she's pregnant (congratulations!)
- Before playing Bride, she stated, "This song's called 'I Don't Want to be a Bride'...which I'm now reconsidering."

Alright, will update later. It was so amazing! And I picked up a vinyl/Victor tee. Pics/vids soon.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:00:43 pm »
WOW. That setlist is incredible.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 09:14:35 pm »
I have a pic of the setlist (the guy from the venue didn't want to give it to me...) and they mispelled "Nolita Fairytale" as "Nolita Fairytail" haha! Another weird thing: she didn't do the "Learning to Fly" intro for "Carousel", I was almost shocked lol

I'm falling more and more in love with "House of 7 Swords" everytime she plays it. The new stuff in general is really really really good. It makes me so excited about the new album.

She tried something new on "Get Good": she used an omnichord which sounded really interesting!

And some obnoxious drunk dude ruined part of "Home" for me, which sucks because it's probably my favorite song live. Oh well.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 09:20:52 pm by Ghisy »
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 03:13:43 am »
thanks for the info guys! The setlist looks great, I can't wait until Saturday!
 It doesn't surprise me that she might reconsider being a bride.  You can have all that love she sings about without marriage, yes, and I don't really have an argument FOR having all that and needing to be married (even though I am, haha).  It really is just a piece of paper and it changed nothing between my husband and I who have been together for 10 years (3 married).  Sometimes having a baby makes you think about marriage differently in that it would provide something for the child to know his or her parents are married.  But it doesn't change the amount of love they will have for each other or the baby. 

I can imagine a very low key, wedding in the woods for her; maybe at that cabin she sometimes posts pictures of, with just their family and friends.  Oh, and wearing a dress like the white one in the carousel video.
~Sara~

eclv

• Moderators
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 11:04:39 am »
Thanks for the info. Super excited for next week.

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 11:17:29 am »
thank you for all the information. can't wait to hear the new songs with the strings! :)

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 12:30:11 pm »
 It doesn't surprise me that she might reconsider being a bride.  You can have all that love she sings about without marriage, yes, and I don't really have an argument FOR having all that and needing to be married (even though I am, haha).  It really is just a piece of paper and it changed nothing between my husband and I who have been together for 10 years (3 married).  Sometimes having a baby makes you think about marriage differently in that it would provide something for the child to know his or her parents are married.  But it doesn't change the amount of love they will have for each other or the baby. 

I can imagine a very low key, wedding in the woods for her; maybe at that cabin she sometimes posts pictures of, with just their family and friends.  Oh, and wearing a dress like the white one in the carousel video.

i don't think it's about the baby. as john said: "love makes you do crazy things".

Rick

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 08:57:23 pm »
I have a pic of the setlist (the guy from the venue didn't want to give it to me...) and they mispelled "Nolita Fairytale" as "Nolita Fairytail" haha! Another weird thing: she didn't do the "Learning to Fly" intro for "Carousel", I was almost shocked lol

I'm falling more and more in love with "House of 7 Swords" everytime she plays it. The new stuff in general is really really really good. It makes me so excited about the new album.

She tried something new on "Get Good": she used an omnichord which sounded really interesting!

And some obnoxious drunk dude ruined part of "Home" for me, which sucks because it's probably my favorite song live. Oh well.

Ghisy! You were there? I wonder if we ever saw each other! I totally feel you though in regards to that drunk guy. The instrumental tag onto Home is my favorite and I super didn't appreciate how he kept yelling "Vanessa!" in his drunken stupor.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 03:26:21 am »

i don't think it's about the baby. as john said: "love makes you do crazy things".

you'd think that quote would be contradictory to what I was trying to get across but it actually works wonderfully.  Love, in any form, makes you do crazy things.  Not specifically romantic love or his love for vanessa.  Love for your child can also make you do crazy things you never though you would do.  It makes you re examine and re prioritize things you thought were important.  It is actually quite like Spring Street where the woman was able to embark on her own journey away from her parents with no looking back.  She was able to part from her lover with no remorse or tears.  But when it came to her daughter, she realized how different things were and what was most important; "the things we hold so dear slip away" leaving room for the things that are most important.
~Sara~

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: 10/10 - StageOne - Fairfield, CT (review)
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 06:30:07 am »

Ghisy! You were there? I wonder if we ever saw each other!
I was! My seat was front row to the right side of the stage. I was actually in the corner, sitting with a friend.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 12:20:41 pm »
i can't seem to find videos anywhere. this is the bad part of being a fan of hers. :(

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 07:42:27 pm »

she probably forgot -- pregnancy brain!  Makes women forgetful. 
OH and everyone is too noisy during home!  i hate it when people start to cheer at the little break and then you can't hear the beginning.  Then tonight at Natick show, people started cheering during the big run, which also made me mad.  I want to hear HER not you screaming!
~Sara~

Rick

• View Profile
    • blog
Re: Re: Re: 10/10 - StageOne - Fairfield, CT (review)
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 08:25:37 am »

Ghisy! You were there? I wonder if we ever saw each other!
I was! My seat was front row to the right side of the stage. I was actually in the corner, sitting with a friend.

I was in the front row on the left corner so I was sitting opposite you in the red cardigan.

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 08:33:31 am »
did anyone record this show? i can't wait to hear what the new songs sound like with the strings! :)

Rick

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 11:13:38 am »
Hey! So I just got back from a weekend in Boston and I finally have time to write out this post.

I received an email from Vanessa's management saying that I won tickets to the pre-show meet & greet, I arrived at the venue around 7 and bought the Victor Horse tee and a vinyl; the guy at the merch table said that they just picked up the new press of vinyls from Vanessa's apartment before they got to the venue, so I felt pretty lucky. Mike came to the merch table at around 7:45 as the opening act was taking the stage. 8 of us went backstage where we were able to meet Vanessa for a quick beat. She's seriously so beautiful and I can't even express how surreal it was actually shaking her hand. She asked what everyone's names were, but I was so overwhelmed I just blurted out something along the lines of, "You're so beautiful," and swept in for a hug. Kind of embarrassing but I figured this would probably be the only chance I'd ever have to meet her. I asked if she brought the pup, and she in turn called Victor. We were able to play with him - he's seriously such a docile, friendly dog. Took a picture with her (and Vic) and she signed my vinyl after she got around to finding a silver Sharpie.

When she came on, she started Carousel without Skye, which kindof confused me, but I had no objections. She later introduced Skye who started doing some magic on his rigs and helped take the live show to a whole new sonic plane. 7 Swords had this icy-violin effect that was incredibly mystifying. Take It Easy now has this trippy-string loop, and Willows has a beat mixed with a plucked string loop. All-in-all I was extremely impressed with the new songs, and I'm so excited to hear them in studio format. Get Good on the omnichord was really interesting, it was really funny though because all of a sudden this strange beat came in during the chorus that was triggered by the omnichord, but I really enjoyed this new take on the song; I really appreciate how V always finds ways of recreating, or reimagining how certain songs can sound.

After the show was over, I stayed around for the setlist and drove back home. Such a great night. I'll conclude this with some photos/videos/audio recordings.

Skye lookin' like the Wizard of Oz.

VC swag.

And here are the audio files for the new songs, I'm still working on the video.
House of Seven Swords
Take It Easy
Willows
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:15:25 am by beforethedawn »