Author Topic: 11/04/15 Minneapolis MN - The Cedar Cultural Center (Review)  (Read 5360 times)

Onyx

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
  • Let's make this our story
    • View Profile
11/04/15 Minneapolis MN - The Cedar Cultural Center (Review)
« on: November 04, 2015, 10:48:59 pm »
Wow! That was a trip!

Well, I suppose I should start from the beginning. While everyone was waiting in line outside the venue, Vanessa randomly walked out the front doors and down the street. I have no idea where she was going, but she looked like she was on a mission!

The show was A-MAZ-ING! I really love the new album and the way the show was played.

The set list was:
Carousel (With Learning to Fly intro)
Tall Tales for Spring
White Houses
Take it Easy
Willows
Operator
House of Seven Swords
Nothing Where Something Used to Be
Blue Pool
River
A Thousand Miles
I Don't Want To Be A Bride
Get Good
The Marching Line

I got a front row seat!! The opener was a singer/guitarist named Joshua Hyslop. According to Vanessa his last name is high slope in Scottish. He was very good, I really liked his song Hallelujah.

When Vanessa and Skye first walked out on stage, Vanessa said she won't tell Skye what is in the cup that she was drinking out of. Later in the show Vanessa said, "I'll never tell you what's in this cup..... It's red wine."

During Carousel, a few people clapped at the bridge and Skye smirked at them.

Before Vanessa played White Houses she told a story about how the song made a rift between her and her brother's relationship because of the bridge and the coming of age story. Vanessa said the song is ambiguous. Then Skye said, "It's not ambiguous." She told her brother that the she had a co-writer for the song and she "didn't write that part"

Vanessa said she wrote the House of seven Swords for her brother because he was graduating and didn't know what direction to take in life.

She told a story about how she visited her friend in Mexico where it's hard to get Peyote because people have to bring it down from the mountains. She said this made her realized she wanted to create an album like Lieberman. She wanted to make an album that if you were to have Peyote and listen to the album it would not disturb the flow of the Peyote. "Not that you have to eat Peyote to enjoy the album though."  :P

She also told a story about how the album was named. Her grandfather was a clothes designer and decided that woman would buy clothes form him if he had a less ethnic name, so he changed his last named to Lee. His clothing business didn't work out so he became an painter. His painting style was classical but with lots of vibrant colors. She has one of his painting on the wall that she looks at when she plays piano. Vanessa said her grandmother would not give any of his painting to anyone. The picture Vanessa has is of a woman painted three different ways, "That woman was my grandpas muse, she is not my grandmother. That is why she gave me that painting."  :D

After she played Willows, the song was being played quietly on the speaker for some reason. Vanessa said, "Wait is there a song playing? Does anyone else here that? Wait, that's my song! Oh well I'll just talk over it."

Through-out the show there was this strange rumbling/rattling noise that no one knew where it was coming from. During A Thousand Miles the rattling noise happened and Vanessa stop playing and asked, "Is that a motorcycle?" and then continued playing.

There was no encore between the last two songs. Vanessa said that her and Skye will just hangout instead.

She signed things after the show. I got the new t-shirt and sweater. While I was waiting in line I saw a set-list on the stage, but was too afraid to ask if I could have it. Someone else got it instead. I got a shirt signed. My mom also got something signed after me. My mom told Vanessa that we "Follow her around." Vanessa turned to me, gave me a thumbs up, and said "Good!"

This was a very cool experience. This was definitely my favorite show that I have been to...(Third times a charm!)

I have pictures but I will have to post them later.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:30:24 am by Onyx »

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 11/04/15 Minneapolis MN - The Cedar Cultural Center (Review)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 12:22:57 pm »
thanks! very detailed.
I see she hasn't switched things up too much though
~Sara~

coldyoungheart

• Make me high on lullabies
  • hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 11:43:41 am »
Awesome review! Thank you :)

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 06:38:00 pm »
Thanks for the review! Glad you had an awesome time. Your mom sounds adorable.

Onyx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 07:48:41 pm »
Haha, my mom can be quite interesting at times. She did a few other things that night...

When Vanessa came out the front doors before the show, my mom kept saying, "It's her! That was her! That was her!!"
And then during the opener, there was a strange rattling noise between songs and my mom loud enough for people to hear, "That was my stomach."

Yup
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:05:52 pm by Onyx »

Onyx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 08:05:20 pm »
Here are some pictures from this show. Sorry about the quality!

Alex0821

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 07:37:52 am »
Hi there! Thanks for the writeup, it sounds like you had a great time.

It's awesome that she signed things. What was on sale? I'm wondering if I'll be able to buy the album or something there, or if I'll have to bring something to get signed.

Also, did anyone say anything about a sheet music book going on sale? She's had one for every album so far, but I'm nervous Liberman won't get one.
Check out my newest piano instrumentals, "Willows" and "Blue Pool"!

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 11:45:23 am »
Haha, my mom can be quite interesting at times. She did a few other things that night...

When Vanessa came out the front doors before the show, my mom kept saying, "It's her! That was her! That was her!!"
And then during the opener, there was a strange rattling noise between songs and my mom loud enough for people to hear, "That was my stomach."

Yup

HA!  I can't wait to embarrass my daughter some day. it will be super fun.
(not necessarily saying you were embarrassed, but this is something I could definitely see myself doing)
~Sara~

Onyx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 04:37:17 pm »

It's awesome that she signed things. What was on sale? I'm wondering if I'll be able to buy the album or something there, or if I'll have to bring something to get signed.

Also, did anyone say anything about a sheet music book going on sale? She's had one for every album so far, but I'm nervous Liberman won't get one.
From what I can remember, there was the Liberman album, ROTR album and vinyl, the new t-shirt and hoodie, the t-shirt with Victor on it, and maaaybe the ROTR sheet music. You will probably be able to buy something there, but you could also bring something if you wanted to. The lady selling things said there were not many hoodies left. I don't know if she meant just for the one show or for the rest of the tour.

Onyx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 04:47:01 pm »

Yup

HA!  I can't wait to embarrass my daughter some day. it will be super fun.
(not necessarily saying you were embarrassed, but this is something I could definitely see myself doing)
Oh, I was most definitely embarrassed!! My mom goes out of her way to embarrass me and after she does she usually says, "Yeah, just wait until you have your own kids one day. Then you can embarrass them all you want. "

I'm sure you'll have lot's of fun!

Alex0821

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 05:14:02 pm »

From what I can remember, there was the Liberman album, ROTR album and vinyl, the new t-shirt and hoodie, the t-shirt with Victor on it, and maaaybe the ROTR sheet music. You will probably be able to buy something there, but you could also bring something if you wanted to. The lady selling things said there were not many hoodies left. I don't know if she meant just for the one show or for the rest of the tour.

Thanks for the info! If she's signing stuff, maybe I'll buy the album there (I bought it digitally when it came out) so I'll have something for her to sign.
Check out my newest piano instrumentals, "Willows" and "Blue Pool"!

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 07:55:13 pm »
Thanks for the review!!