Author Topic: 11/15/15 Cleveland, OH - Music Box Supper Club (Review)  (Read 3546 times)

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
11/15/15 Cleveland, OH - Music Box Supper Club (Review)
« on: November 17, 2015, 08:50:44 pm »
OK. First show and had to obligatorily make this thread because I've never had the chance to. I mean 12 years and the first time I see her live - I need to give my review.

Cost me 60$ each way via Lyft to get to the venue but it was totally worth it. I may never get to see Vanessa again (long story - Expat foreign student here) so totally worth it.

The setlist was:
1. Carousel
2. Fairwea.... Wait. My copy of the setlist says FWF but she played Tall Tales for Spring. Someone who was at this show correct me if I'm wrong.
3. White Houses
4. Take it Easy
5. Willows
6. 7 Swords
7. Operator
8. Blue Pool
9. Nothing Something
10. River
11. ATM (She actually calls it ATM on the setlist!)
12. Hear the Bells
13. Marching Line

My first time seeing her in person. Most fans often say that she looked beautiful but I never really understood what they meant until Sunday night. I was expecting some acoustic stuff with just her and Skye but I was completely blown away. Skye is doing some really amazing music ju-ju with his feet and a loop pedal and garage band on stage and it's insane. I always wondered why the Living Room sessions of HOSS was so unacoustic and more like it was tweaked but I think this is why. My favorite moment in the show was when she stopped and appreciated how the audience was actually listening to her and she mentioned how she couldn't even hear the clanging of cutlery which I think was really sweet of the crowd.

She did have a small signing session in the end. What was weird was that she mentioned it on stage? Like before the encore she mentioned that she would be at the merch table to sign stuff, which also resulted in a really huge crowd :(. Buuuuut I had the pleasure of meeting Phil(pswik09) and Steve, who taught me the ropes on how to at least try and navigate the crowd when meeting Vanessa. We even waited afterwards to try and meet her after the show, which I only hope wasn't too creepy. And yeah... I actually had her sign my stuff which included the copies of my audio tapes of BnN and Harmonium, she reacted a bit and mentioned that Liberman will be available on audio cassette as a limited edition but I totally froze and wasn't able to say a thing when I met her. It didn't help that I hadn't eaten the whole day and had only consumed Rockstars (Yay! Gradschool). But anywho, it was absolutely fun meeting other NESSAholics. I think if you're ever making it to these shows, and if you think coming on here and talking about Vanessa stuff is such a release, meeting other NESSAholics and actually talking about her in person is... so relieving and the ability to actually be able to get along with other people with this same love for someone totally amazes me.

My Asian Lyft driver asked me why I was in Cleveland and if I also took a Lyft to get there. I kid you not, when I told him that the reason I was there was for a concert, he made me write down her name because he was so intrigued as to who she was that I would be willing to travel that far.

All in all, definitely a wonderful experience. Just wish I could've actually talked to her and not bottled up. In retrospect, I think it was the fact that I realized that saying something like: "I'm your biggest fan" wouldn't really justify how much I really love her and her music... I dunno. I'm rambling. I do hope I do get a chance to see her again before I graduate from school and also get to meet more of you! :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:52:19 pm by joey »
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
Re: 11/15/15 Cleveland, OH - Music Box Supper Club (Review)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:26:19 am »
Great review! I'm glad you had an amazing time and got to meet other nessaholics! And don't beat yourself up over clamming up in front of her; I think it's happened to every one of us here!

pswik91

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 12:25:00 pm »
I think what happens is she just uses the same set and doesn't play the same songs. I know she's done this in the past. But you're correct, she played Tall Tales and not FWF. She played that the night prior in Pittsburgh.  I'm working on putting my review up but I just can't get good wifi connection to upload my videos. Nice review I was at this show front row!!

zoedilts

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 09:00:05 am »
I'm so glad you liked this show! I was also there with my boyfriend.  I was disappointed,too, that she announced that she was signing after the show because by the time we got out to see her, the line was already the whole way down the stairs. :(   I have seen and met Vanessa before, though, when she was on tour with Matt Nathanson after the release of ROTR, so I didn't make my boyfriend stand in line with me to meet her again, lol.  Luckily, I bought the signed deluxe copy of Liberman!  All in all though, I was not disappointed in the slightest with her show.  She never fails to amaze me!

private-radio

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 01:21:30 pm »
I think what happens is she just uses the same set and doesn't play the same songs. I know she's done this in the past. But you're correct, she played Tall Tales and not FWF. She played that the night prior in Pittsburgh.  I'm working on putting my review up but I just can't get good wifi connection to upload my videos. Nice review I was at this show front row!!

Skye told me in Indianapolis Vanessa and he thought to play FWF, Hear The Bells and Who’s To Say. She now sings Hear The Bells and I am sure you could hear the other songs soon.
We should go, go...

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 01:45:52 pm »
What time has she been getting on stage? The show I'm going (tomorrow) to starts at 730 but I assume she isn't getting on stage until at least 830? I have sitter issues and I might not be able to go at all! If she doesn't get on stage until 830  or 9 then I can make it!  Please let me know any info you have about this!!
~Sara~