Author Topic: Books!  (Read 7992 times)

LimeTwister

Books!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2003, 02:50:50 pm »
so this is the intellectual side of the board lol...well lets see, fav book....
flowers for algernon by daniel keyes.

last book i read would be....the great expectations in English class, and I skipped a lot of that book...I hate reading...

lol i know its not up there...but worse book ever-my choice- The Good Earth not sure who its by, but its abouta chinese man's life and greed, and it was really long, and boring.

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
Books!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2003, 04:35:49 pm »
Favorite Book: And then there were none.
I read that book when I was in 8th grade, (lol) and that's the only book in school i've read that I actually wanted to read. It's one of those books where you wan't to keep turning the page to see what happens next. Very few of those in schools nowadays.

Last book I read: I've been in the middle of reading The Cruciable (sp?) for English, and Warriors of Alavna just when I have nothing to do. Good book.

LimeTwister

Books!
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2003, 04:39:45 pm »
Quote from: "Me&myPiano"
I read that book when I was in 8th grade, (lol) and that's the only book in school i've read that I actually wanted to read. It's one of those books where you wan't to keep turning the page to see what happens next. Very few of those in schools nowadays.

Last book I read: I've been in the middle of reading The Cruciable (sp?) for English, and Warriors of Alavna just when I have nothing to do. Good book.

lol i read and then there were none in 7th grade....kinda creepy book.

oh also a bad book...lord of the flyies

MartUK

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Books!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2003, 06:43:05 pm »
What's a book?  :?  Some kind of new peripheral?

Actually it's been way too long since I read a book properly. Used to read loads when I was younger. Dahl was always a favourite. I liked Danny the Champion of the World because of the dodgy morals heh heh. Also Kipling and Tolkien.

The last book I read was some crap by Ade Edmonson (The Gobbler). Worth it for the portrayal of the "psycho fan" though. Read that and worry, some of you.

The last "serious" book was probably 1984.

And I hate hate hate hate hate Harry Potter.  :evil:

MeechNess

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Faeryshroom
    • View Profile
OMB!
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2003, 06:56:04 pm »
I love Flowers For Algernon!!! Such a sad book!!!

JLSisMe

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Jackiels113
    • View Profile
My favorite book
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2003, 06:56:50 pm »
Hmm.... "Where the Heart Is" by Billie Letts... THE best book ever.. i've been reading the Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinsella recently.. they're really funny
We go together like rama lama lama ka dingity dingdy dong!

Laura

• View Profile
Books!
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2003, 07:06:12 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
Quote from: "Me&myPiano"

lol i read and then there were none in 7th grade....kinda creepy book.

oh also a bad book...lord of the flyies

LOTF was an insane book, geezus the movie was strange to! I liked the ending part tho if I remember correctly.

I thought And then there were none was kinda a funny book, lol but im weird, so go figure  :wink:

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Books!
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2003, 08:25:02 pm »
Joe,  I tell you what.  I had an english minor and I specialized in literature and I STILL couldn't stand Great Expectations.  So don't feel bad, you're not alone.
---Andrew

Quote from: "LimeTwister"
so this is the intellectual side of the board lol...well lets see, fav book....
flowers for algernon by daniel keyes.

last book i read would be....the great expectations in English class, and I skipped a lot of that book...I hate reading...

lol i know its not up there...but worse book ever-my choice- The Good Earth not sure who its by, but its abouta chinese man's life and greed, and it was really long, and boring.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

David Hart

Books!
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2003, 09:29:31 pm »
Quote from: "GSUCarltonFan"
My favorite book of all time is Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil... hey, it's about my hometown.

The last book I read was The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.  Really good book.

In case you haven't noticed, I don't read much.

Perks of being a wallflower is brilliant...I just bought the new Tom Robbins book on Tuesday (Villa Incognito) It's ok this far...not his best writing. But my favorite book is The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald, it's the ultimate American novel...it will never be topped. The last book I read was "Blindness" by Jose Saramago...it was brilliant...one of the best books I've ever read. "The Painted Bird" by Jerzy Kosinki is another one of my favorites. I have way too many books. If I have to choose a classical author, I'm going with Oscar Wilde.

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Books!
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2003, 09:59:33 pm »
And Then There Were None = Ten Little Indians by Agatha Christie right?
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
Books!
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2003, 06:17:08 am »
yay - flowers for algenon was sooo good - too bad charlie (the movie) sucked!
xoxo

CheapandEvilgrl

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Littlefish81
    • View Profile
Books!
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2003, 07:42:16 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Joe,  I tell you what.  I had an english minor and I specialized in literature and I STILL couldn't stand Great Expectations.  So don't feel bad, you're not alone.
---Andrew

I HATED that book!!!!!!!!!
definitely didn't meet the least of MY expectations (hehe)
boooo Dickens

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Books!
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2003, 08:07:26 am »
Yeah, I generally have to agree.  Boooo dickins.  

I respect Dickins as an author.  I recognize the talent.  But damn, I cannot STAND his books! He spends 3 paragraphs describing random furniture regardless of it's pertinance to the plot! UGH!
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

LimeTwister

Books!
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2003, 11:03:50 am »
Quote from: "DixieChck615"
And Then There Were None = Ten Little Indians by Agatha Christie right?

yes trish...

they all die like the poem.

LimeTwister

Books!
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2003, 11:08:00 am »
Quote from: "CheapandEvilgrl"
Quote from: "Grakthis"
---Andrew

I HATED that book!!!!!!!!!
definitely didn't meet the least of MY expectations (hehe)
boooo Dickens

lol, i hate reading in general so you have to give me a really to-die-for kind of book...but i started reading great expectations, and it just went on and on and on....it was really pointless and it made sense, but in reality shouldn't have been written, luckily we didn't have to read the whole thing (just a "shortened" version that left out a lot of minor details)...lol but hey I only read like 5 chapters out of all we were supose to read I made a C.