Author Topic: Michelle Branch  (Read 310836 times)

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1200 on: January 08, 2006, 01:03:52 pm »
Quote from: "jessicaweiser"
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"

If one cares more about selling music than being true to themselves, then they aren't artists, they're businessmen.  

Amen brother :)

I'm glad to see someone recognizes the distinction.   :D

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1201 on: January 08, 2006, 01:27:33 pm »

I was in Chicago too :) Such a great show. I have photos of it up somewhere. We were in the vip balcony seating up above the stage.

I care about the integrity of music. I don't give a shit about the radio or MTV.

ps: I'm a huge fan of Ani Difranco too.

I didn't care for the opening acts in Chicago, but I loved The Wreckers's set.  That was the first time I had the opportunity to see Jessica, and I thought she was great.

The only thing that sucked about that night was the nasty storm.  It was like 70 degrees (in March!) during the day, so everyone was dressed for warm weather.  Then, the temperature dropped 30 degrees and that huge hail/wind storm hit.  We were waiting outside in line with no shelter, freezing to death and getting soaked and pelted with hail for close to two hours.  I imagine you didn't have to be in that crappy line if you were in the vip balcony.  I was dying, but at least I had pants and a long sleeve shirt on.  I saw quite a few little girls with nothing but a tank top and skirt on. Some of them were crying; I felt bad for them.  

After The Wreckers came on and played as well as they did, that made it all worth while for me.  I read that Michelle and Jess were kind of sick and I was afraid it might hinder their performance, but I didn't detect any let down.

I hope SSLP keeps the same sound that they had in Chicago regarding the guitar solos and what-not.  I have my doubts though.  Michelle's songs are better and more intricate live than on her albums.  Even though this isn't a solo Michelle album, I have a feeling the music is still going to get watered down in the studio, but I hope not.

(Keeps fingers crossed)   :)

ps:  "Napolean" and "The Million You Never Made" are my favs!

jessicaweiser

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1202 on: January 08, 2006, 02:00:04 pm »

I was in Chicago too :) Such a great show. I have photos of it up somewhere. We were in the vip balcony seating up above the stage.

I care about the integrity of music. I don't give a shit about the radio or MTV.

ps: I'm a huge fan of Ani Difranco too.

I didn't care for the opening acts in Chicago, but I loved The Wreckers's set.  That was the first time I had the opportunity to see Jessica, and I thought she was great.

The only thing that sucked about that night was the nasty storm.  It was like 70 degrees (in March!) during the day, so everyone was dressed for warm weather.  Then, the temperature dropped 30 degrees and that huge hail/wind storm hit.  We were waiting outside in line with no shelter, freezing to death and getting soaked and pelted with hail for close to two hours.  I imagine you didn't have to be in that crappy line if you were in the vip balcony.  I was dying, but at least I had pants and a long sleeve shirt on.  I saw quite a few little girls with nothing but a tank top and skirt on. Some of them were crying; I felt bad for them.  

After The Wreckers came on and played as well as they did, that made it all worth while for me.  I read that Michelle and Jess were kind of sick and I was afraid it might hinder their performance, but I didn't detect any let down.

ps:  "Napolean" and "The Million You Never Made" are my favs!

Oh I didn't even hear the opening acts because we were backstage hanging out. I can't stand Bethany Letz's music, though, so I'm glad I wasn't there for it. I found the whole OTH thing highly annoying, but I was glad I went. And we avoided the line because we were inside already hanging out, yes ;) From our hotel (HOB Hotel) we were looking down at the girls who were first in line (and in skanky outfits waiting for Tyler haha) and making fun of them. I have photos of them somewhere too. I do feel bad everyone got so drenched, though, and the HOB employees were really rude, apparently.  And yes, they were both sick, and I was impressed by their show.

I love those two songs too. Ani D has to be one of the best live acts ever. I saw her in 1997 (think that was the last time) and was so blown away. Unfortunately I just can't get into her new stuff much and the last album that I was totally enamored with was Dilate. :)

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1203 on: January 08, 2006, 03:08:07 pm »

Oh I didn't even hear the opening acts because we were backstage hanging out. I can't stand Bethany Letz's music, though, so I'm glad I wasn't there for it. I found the whole OTH thing highly annoying, but I was glad I went. And we avoided the line because we were inside already hanging out, yes ;) From our hotel (HOB Hotel) we were looking down at the girls who were first in line (and in skanky outfits waiting for Tyler haha) and making fun of them. I have photos of them somewhere too. I do feel bad everyone got so drenched, though, and the HOB employees were really rude, apparently.  And yes, they were both sick, and I was impressed by their show.

I love those two songs too. Ani D has to be one of the best live acts ever. I saw her in 1997 (think that was the last time) and was so blown away. Unfortunately I just can't get into her new stuff much and the last album that I was totally enamored with was Dilate. :)

I'm jealous of your connections!  I love your website, by the way.  That's where I got my first hear of what Jess sounded like when she wasn't just singing back-up on some Oxygen Custom Concert or whatever.  As much as I love the honesty and simplicity of Michelle's lyrics, I have to admit that Jess is a better songwriter.  I can't wait for her next record.

I think I still prefer Michelle though.  There's something about her voice that makes me feel like Elaine's boyfriend when he listens to "Desparado" (Seinfeld reference, sorry if you don't watch).  I guess it's stupid to compare the two though; I like them both.  I'm so glad they did this collaboration.

My favorite Ani disc is Dilate too!  :)   I just read somewhere that she has to take a year off of touring because of carple tunnel.  The way she plucks at that guitar, that was bound to happen eventually.

I wish Michelle could get off of Maverick and make her own label like Ani so she could have that same creative freedom in which Ani revels.  Based on her sediments in that post on The Wreckers MB, it sounds like that's what she wants more than anything else: to carve her own little niche with her own little set of loyal supporters, and most of all, freedom from "the man"   :)

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1204 on: January 09, 2006, 03:04:14 pm »

Oxygen Custom Concert

That show was so bogus.

And I would know...I was there.

Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad concert at all...in fact it was fantastic.  But the way they ran it and the fact that they made Michelle play for like 4 hours solid just to get the "right" takes was lame.

And other stuff too that I don't want to get into because I'm at work and I get angry when talking about that show. :P:P:P
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1205 on: January 09, 2006, 03:25:01 pm »
Quote from: "tricia"

Oxygen Custom Concert

the fact that they made Michelle play for like 4 hours solid just to get the "right" takes was lame.

8O 4 HOURS??!  8O

That's a really long time.  Do you mean she sang the same songs over and over again for four straight hours so they could get multiple camera angles on each song, or what?  If that is the case, it must of gotten really annoying hearing the same songs over and over again.

Although, my favorite versions of "Empty Handed," "Are You Happy Now?," and "All You Wanted" all came from an audio download of that concert, so I guess it wouldn't have been that bad.  I could listen to those songs over and over again.  I'm surprised Michelle and the band could keep up their energy for that long...but, I guess they are professionals.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1206 on: January 10, 2006, 02:19:39 pm »

Oxygen Custom Concert

That show was so bogus.

And I would know...I was there.

Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad concert at all...in fact it was fantastic.  But the way they ran it and the fact that they made Michelle play for like 4 hours solid just to get the "right" takes was lame.

And other stuff too that I don't want to get into because I'm at work and I get angry when talking about that show. :P:P:P

Wow....sounds like a death sentence....welcome to the world of TV.  And I'll bet you a week's pay that ultimately, they had more to edit in post-production, not less.  You would be surprised at the moronic decisions made in this industry.  Or maybe not! :lol:
I've known producers that made changes just to make changes, and other "dog and pony show" things.  You know that saying? "If you can't impress them with facts, dazzle them with bullshit".

Dan/NS

milla

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/millatraylen
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1207 on: January 12, 2006, 03:36:34 am »

I hope SSLP keeps the same sound that they had in Chicago regarding the guitar solos and what-not.  I have my doubts though.  Michelle's songs are better and more intricate live than on her albums.  Even though this isn't a solo Michelle album, I have a feeling the music is still going to get watered down in the studio, but I hope not.

(Keeps fingers crossed)   :)

Me too! You've heard the studio clips though, right? I think they sound pretty good, especially Old Dirt Road

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1208 on: January 12, 2006, 10:55:22 am »

Oxygen Custom Concert

the fact that they made Michelle play for like 4 hours solid just to get the "right" takes was lame.

8O 4 HOURS??!  8O

That's a really long time.  Do you mean she sang the same songs over and over again for four straight hours so they could get multiple camera angles on each song, or what?  If that is the case, it must of gotten really annoying hearing the same songs over and over again.

Although, my favorite versions of "Empty Handed," "Are You Happy Now?," and "All You Wanted" all came from an audio download of that concert, so I guess it wouldn't have been that bad.  I could listen to those songs over and over again.  I'm surprised Michelle and the band could keep up their energy for that long...but, I guess they are professionals.

Yep...she sang over and over to get the takes right and a couple of times they made her lip synch if the audio was good enough but they wanted better shots.

Towards the end, even the most diehard of us (myself included) where sitting on the edges of the floor wishing they would let us leave...but they wouldn't!

I'd still do it again though...it was definitely a one of a kind experience.
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1209 on: January 12, 2006, 11:05:52 am »
Quote from: "milla"

Me too! You've heard the studio clips though, right? I think they sound pretty good, especially Old Dirt Road

The studio clips sounded good, but that was when they were just working on the songs.  What I'm always afraid of is that some studio-head listens to what The Wreckers put together and then demands that the songs become more pop or radio-friendly or whatever.  Judging by the way Michelle lashed out at Maverick on TWMB, I'm afraid they might have had to do some compramising with their songs, but I hope not.

The Wreckers sounded so great live because they sounded like a band.  It wasn't just the Jess and Michelle show the whole time.  I REALLY hope that sound was replicated for the final studio versions.  Especially "Tennessee" and "My Oh My."

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1210 on: January 12, 2006, 03:08:42 pm »
You know, even if they have to do a bit of compromising it can still be a great record.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1211 on: January 12, 2006, 04:15:03 pm »
Quote from: "amberbeads"
You know, even if they have to do a bit of compromising it can still be a great record.

I know a lot of people like the over-produced, homoganized sound, but I can't stand it.  :evil:

I want SSLP to sound exactly the way Jess and Michelle desire.  

If the album comes out and their songs are super-radio friendly and they all sound as if they could be on any old Hilary Duff or Kelly Clarkson album, I'm going to be disappointed.  

The same thing happened with Michelle's solo albums.  They sound just like everything else on the radio (ohter than Michelle's voice).  But, when you see her live where she gives the band more freedom to do their own thing and she plays off of them and they play off of her; it's spectacular.  :D  

Now that I have good-fidelity live versions of all her songs, I don't even listen to any of her album cuts anymore (except Broken Bracelet 'cause they are mainly acoustic).  The album tracks sound so bland compared to Michelle live.  

I just don't want that same thing happening to The Wreckers.  But that's just my taste; everybody's different. :)

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1212 on: January 12, 2006, 05:40:05 pm »
I don't care for overproduction. That's not what I was getting at.
What I mean is that it would be difficult to make Michelle's music suck. Or Jess's. Frankly I'd rather get an overproduced record than none at all... I'm probably the only one, but seriously, we've been waiting so long.
If they don't get absolute control I'm sure it'll still be great, after all, it's still Michelle and Jess.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

jessicaweiser

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Michelle Branch
« Reply #1213 on: January 12, 2006, 07:13:02 pm »
I promise you their record is not overproduced...at least what I've heard anyway.

I really almost cried when I heard the new version of "lay me down" (verses the Michelle demo that everyone orgasms over)... it's so beautiful and I don't almost cry over many songs :D

LimeTwister

Michelle Branch
« Reply #1214 on: January 12, 2006, 08:29:59 pm »
uh, ignore this post.