Author Topic: Vanessa in VA Beach 9/20/02 -- LONG Review!  (Read 13277 times)

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
Vanessa in VA Beach 9/20/02 -- LONG Review!
« on: September 21, 2002, 12:09:18 am »
So the pink floyd music starts and Nessa comes out... the end of the Pink Floyd song is an exact match for the beginning of C'est la vie!!  I'm hoping Joe can tell me the name of it... :D

So the set was as follows:
Acompanying herself on the Piano
1:39-4:34 C'est La Vie
4:49-7:17 Papa

Band comes out.  Nate on drums (w00t), Sasha/Bass and Jesse on guitar and Mike on Trumpet/Guitar/Keyboards
7:18-11:28 Unsung
12:01-16:39 Rinse "this is rinse, and it has nothing to do with laundry" -VC
"It's hot in here!" then i think she hmms "it's getting hot in here...i am getting so" then she goes "ok , i'm gonna intruduce you to my band!" ... very strange.  She mentions that being at the nava base is like being home as her dad is a pilot, then announces Prince!
17:28-22:36 Prince... I love the end of this song in concert when she jams on the keyboard, it's great.

She talks for a while...
"Well Thank you! alright, so this is the part of the show where i'm going back to my roots because i just want you to know that i started out not being able to play for people because i was a dancer and i was very embarassed to get on stage, it's kinda hard especially when you're sweating... but i smell fabulous right now."  It should be noted that after this comment, i was the only one that screamed -- as aparently no one else there realized this whole 'smelling' thing is an ongoing issue for her.
Band goes offstage and Vanessa plays by herself:
23:11-26:57 Wanted -- i was very excited... i love this song :)
She talks some more... makes a very funny comment about the next song:
"Ok so this song is gonna be the next single after ordinary day so you might wanna stick around and listen to it but um it's just right now it's just me and the piano wait *does a little doodle on the piano* ok this song is called pretty baby.. it's a sweet song and it's perfect for the navy, ok ready, this is a lulliby this is for what every girl wants a guy to sing to her or either way around so boys you need to listen carefully even tho there is a chick up here playing the piano you have to pay attention."
27:37-30:32 Pretty Baby

Band joins her again...
"Ok so one time i sat down at the piano and it went something like this *plays the interlude to ATM" and um my mother came running in from the living room, she's a pianist, she plays the piano and she's also a little bit crazy and she screams 'Vanessa you wrote a hit', i don't know what a hit is, i don't know what that means, all i know is it got my mom really excited and made my dog bark and so i think i was on the right track with this song and i just want to play it for all you fine people on this georgous evening... this is a thousnad miles!"
31:40-35:40 A Thousand Miles -- Joe, it should be noted that aparently she's been working on the beginning of ATM... it didn't sound like Megan Marie this time but instead a minimally garbled version of Makin My Way... :)  There was also a nice pause at the end in the usual spot... where i believe she waits for people to yell "tonight".  No one yelled tonight but everyone did scream!
"Thank you, ok so um i also have attention problems but this next song is the only song i ever wrote in one setting and this is a testimate to my concentration and this song is about 'love' which i've been told we write to many songs about that, but that's really unfortunate isn't? um this is called ordinary day"
36:19-40:10 Ordinary Day
40:12-44:09 Paint It Black .. Her performance down Paint It Black is awesome.  She dances all over the stage and seems to really be getting into the music.  I enjoyed it a lot.

She screams "Thank You!" and walks off the stage... everyone continue to clap and guess who comes back out???   Non other then Vanessa!!!  And what does she perform?
TWILIGHT!!!!

If you haven't heard unsung in concert you don't know what you're missing.  Off her original CD, unsung wasn't one of my favorite songs but in concert this song totally kicks ass!

I had to drive 3.5 hours to get to the concert... and hit a ton of traffic so it was rather annoying...I was fairly far in the back (about 25 ft away) and on the left side of the stage (if you're looking at it from the audience).  For those of you that have been to a concert you know that isn't the best spot as she places faces towards the right side.  I took a few pictures but only a few turned out... she also has a fairly dark stage which create a few problems...
1) no point in using a flash if you're >20 ft away...and it just annoys the artists
2) i can't hold the damn camera still enuff for night mode
3) with the flash off, the pictures are fairly dark.

so that was the night.  overall i really enjoyed myself.  I'm kinda bummed i didn't bring my video camera in because they were letting people record the entire concert!  I assumed that it would be banned... oh well maybe some other time.

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

Wonkies

• Ex-Mod
  • You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - W0nkies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.neverbrokenmusic.com
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2002, 01:16:23 pm »
Great review, Katia!  That Pink Floyd song is called, "The Great Gig In The Sky."  And I didn't say that she says, "Megan Marie."  That's just what I'd like to name my daughter, if I have one some day, so I can sing "Megan Marie downtown" to her.  I said that it sounds like she says, "Megamaway."  Hehe...  :P

Joe

http://www.neverbrokenmusic.com
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." -Homer Simpson

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Now Found!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bionicledwarf
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 10:06:44 am »
wasn't this show cancelled?????
or was it on her headline tour?

Mike
.........the one and only!

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2003, 02:42:37 pm »
this was at the end of the Goo's tour and before her headline tour.  She did this show, then the show in Towson MD.  How would i have a review if it had been cancelled? :P
I <3 Nicole

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • Now Found!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2003, 02:44:37 pm »
i dont' know, lol, all i remember was one of the VA beach shows was cancelled because i got my money back for it

mike

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2003, 02:55:48 pm »
that was for her headline tour.  it was the NC and VA Beach show -- but she did make it back from LA in time for the DC show at the 9:30 club.

TeeHee... if you notice the date.. it was 9/20/02 which is way to early for her headlining tour :)
I <3 Nicole

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • Now Found!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2003, 03:14:29 pm »
she played the 9:30 club cause i remember freezing my ass off

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2003, 03:19:38 pm »
yep, that is after we had just gotten a ton of snow -- i'm still somewhat surprised she played.  Tons of people didn't/couldn't make it because of the snow... i had to take the subway in to avoid driving through DC.

Then some crazy people drove like 4 hours to see Maroon5 and were like "Vanessa who?" in line.... dur...
I <3 Nicole

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • Now Found!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2003, 04:09:11 pm »
i remember that lol, i was first in line for that show, and the snow sucked and i couldn't stay after cause i had to catch the metro back to where i was staying

Mike