Author Topic: what do you think about Love...  (Read 20084 times)

icebox13

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - darnics
    • View Profile
what do you think about Love...
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2003, 08:16:18 am »
"what do you think about love?"

i think it doesn't think about me...
how much of a VANESSA CARLTON addict am i?
1. i have four copies of BNN--- one for my bedroom, living room, car and bathroom
2. i bought a very expensive badminton racket just because it was branded "CARLTON"

sweetdang

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2003, 08:51:50 am »
Quote from: "Miss T"
Quote from: "sweetdang"

have you ever been in love? Yes.

hmm...i'm curious... :lol:

You, you, you, you, you, its always been you Tia.: )
-- there are people who take the heart out of you, and those who put it back in --

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Re: what do you think about Love...
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2003, 09:39:55 am »
I'll go ahead and take up my role as the resident pessamist and inform you all that Love is esentially just hormones.  It's chemical.  It's not magical or mystical.  It does not conquer all, it is not preordained and it ends tragically MORE often than it ends happily.

Love is clearly visible in the human brain BY chemical reactions.  It is scientifically explainable and scientifically plausible.  We know what it is and why it is.  Which means that if you consider yourself a practical or reasonable person, you cannot believe in love as a magic thing.

Love at first site is called Lust or Infatuation.  Romantic love is nothing more than being friends with someone you wanna (or do) have sex with.  Platonic love is just close friendship.  

And if any of you try to give me some religious "God creates matches and love is how they reveal themselves blah blah" i would point you to the THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of people in love who end up divorced, hating eachother or worse, resulting in violence.

The End.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2003, 09:59:22 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
I'll go ahead and take up my role as the resident pessamist and inform you all that Love is esentially just hormones.  It's chemical.  It's not magical or mystical.  It does not conquer all, it is not preordained and it ends tragically MORE often than it ends happily.

Love is clearly visible in the human brain BY chemical reactions.  It is scientifically explainable and scientifically plausible.  We know what it is and why it is.  Which means that if you consider yourself a practical or reasonable person, you cannot believe in love as a magic thing.

Eh... I have a few Humanist friends that would drive you crazy. In addition to the Christians (myself included), of course...... :wink:

Ok, we understand the effects of love (good feeling hormones, etc....) but what difference does that make when experiencing them? Ultimately, we all trust our bodies more than our rational thought, deep down at least.

We don't understand love. Matchmakers throughout the ages have tried to predict and understand it. We don't know why some people love others when they seem all wrong for each other, or why some people hate each other when they seem perfect together.

We as humans are complex systems. We can never be understood or predicted, save by complete unapproximated simulation. In my opinion, we are more complex than weather systems. And even the NEC Earth Simulator (the world's fastest and most powerful computer) can't understand the weather. Too many variables. And human neurology is worse......

So what if we know why we feel a certain way? We will never understand the ultimate cause of it. Sit back and enjoy it anyway.

And you are a pessimist. :wink:
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Moogs21

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Re: then
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2003, 10:27:32 am »
Quote from: "PIBby"
Love . . . Lve is when you can't stop thinking about the other person. When you're heart stops when you see them. When you fall on words when you try to speak them. When you're as nervous as ever to talk to the person; But at the same time you're more comfortable whle you're talking to him than you've ever been in your life. You keep the persons picture, only because you're afraid you'll forget their face.

Trust? Certainly. A big part of it, I think is Appearance. And it's strange because, someone's personality can be so attractive, it can make, even an ugly person, physically attractive.

Can one person love another without them even knowing? Of course. It happens all the time.

Do you use the word love carelessly? I'm in Middle School, and yeah . . . we do. But we don't say "I LOVE him,'' was say ''I LOVE him when he's in his baseball uniform. He's so sexy.'' Which, DAMN! If you could see the guy I'm talking about you'd faint, but . . .

for a middle schooler you sure know a lot

thanks

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2003, 01:14:22 pm »
It's hard to be as skillful as I am. ;)

Gently realistic

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2003, 01:39:54 pm »
I wonder what person first decided this feeling was in need of a name... And why it was named love....

Tia

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - littlemisscheekylives@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.graphic-interlude.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2003, 02:27:55 pm »
Quote from: "Miss T"

have you ever been in love? Yes.

hmm...i'm curious... :lol:

You, you, you, you, you, its always been you Tia.: )

*doesn't quite know what to say*

umm...is 'lol' appropriate?
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2003, 08:57:50 pm »
Do you think love is real?  Yes :)

why or why not?  Because I've felt it

if you do...

do you believe in love at first sight?   It's very possible

can one person be in love with another, while they dont love him/her back? Absolutely :(

can you fall in love more than once?  Yes

have you ever been in love?  I'm in it now

define love...is it..a strong attraction?  Attraction isn't love, but love will cause attraction.

trust?  Love doesn't mean trust, but trust is essential for a fruitful love

caring?  To me, love means caring.

a mixture of the three? All three are very involved.

can it be definable?  Love may vary as defined by one person to another, but some elements are universal.

can one person love another without them even knowing??  Yes, but not for long if it truly is love.  A true lover would never keep that secret long.

do you use the word love carlessly? as in jr.high when you liked someone did you write I  (name) everywhere?  I learned early on that the word "love" should only be used when it is really love.
Dustin

MeechNess

• AOL Instant Messenger - Faeryshroom
    • View Profile
hmmm
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2003, 01:25:23 pm »
as to the question about  love at first sight...
Well, when I was younger, I didn't have a dad(my parents got devorced when I was about.. 1-2 years old) so, my sister, my mom and I would do all sorts of things together and of course my sister and I wanted a dad, just because we didn't really know what it was like.. we also wanted a big brother (boy was that something I wish I didn't have now.. haha) but we were happy with it just being the 3 of us... Anyways, what I'm getting at is... One time, my mom was reading the news paper and she found this ad about a religious group that met at a place that wasn't too far from us... So, we all went, we were welcomed and we had a good first experience... Well, when it got started, we were all put in little groups of 5 or 6 people. The person leading the groups told this guy in our group to switch with a guy in another group and they switched... So, the new guy sat next to me, my mom was on my left and my sister was on her left... So, all through the service, the new guy wouldn't stop staring at my mom with his chin resting on his hand with a silly grin on his face.. I was a little weirded out and all thinking "why is this strange man staring at my mom!?" and so we kept going to the services and everything and the guy and my mom got married a year later and now, he's my stepdad of 6 years.. And, he was married at the time when we first met him.. hahahaha.... So yes, love at first sight is real.. Because he felt that she was his soul mate, and they are soul mates.. even if you don't believe in soul mates..

Moogs21

• View Profile
then
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2003, 01:46:43 pm »
what is your definition of a strong crush, and how is it differnt from love

Moogs21

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2003, 09:17:26 pm »
Quote from: "Moogs21"

anyone?anyone?

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2003, 07:08:04 am »

anyone?anyone?

It's the exact same thing.  Except in retrospect we call it a crush if it doesn't work out and we call it love if it does.

No one can ever correctly define these "feelings" until after the fact, which just goes to prove my theories on Love.  If two people say they are in love, but then break up, they always justify it by saying "well, I thought I was in love, but really it was just..."
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2003, 07:14:59 am »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"
Eh... I have a few Humanist friends that would drive you crazy. In addition to the Christians (myself included), of course...... :wink:

Love as a religious thing is soooo silly to me.  I mean, I'm Christian... and even I don't believe in that idea.

I'm most assuridly NOT saying Love is a bad thing (tm).  I am saying that Love is not this fairy tale that most people immagine it to be.  It's a lot more practical than that.

I define Love as the moment when another person's life becomes more important to you than your own.  But it doesn't happen because of some magical ethereal force.  It happens because of endorphines.

Ok, we understand the effects of love (good feeling hormones, etc....) but what difference does that make when experiencing them? Ultimately, we all trust our bodies more than our rational thought, deep down at least.

See, some people operate by following emotions and other people operate by following their heads (or some mix thereof).  I am more of the latter which means I want to know WHY my emotions are pulling me one way or another.  Because our emotions lead us astray a LOT.  Tempering this with rationale is important to a happy life.

Why do you think most Romantics died young?  Cause their emotions made them do dumb shit, or they got depressed and off'd themselves.

And you are a pessimist. :wink:

Pessamist are never dissapointed.
---Andrew

---Andrew

Si

• Fine as dandelions
  • Down a Rabbithole
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2003, 07:19:32 am »
                              Yaaaaaawnnnn

:lol:                 :wink:            

• SHUT  UP  when  I'm  talking  to  you... !
 You  hear  me?  ANSWER  me !! •