Author Topic: the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 10859 times)

David Hart

Re: ......
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2003, 02:50:48 pm »
Quote from: "justaboy23"
:evil: i think i'm stuck in hell....what..the beatles weren't talented musicians? shame on you it takes a great musician to be a great songwriter... listen to those tunes man those weren't written by amateurs and nobody i repeat nobody can play slide guitar like mr. george harrison.. and nevermind that whole he can play the sitar too... i don't even feel i need to defend the brilliant bass lines of paul mccartney..and oh yeah he also played the guitar and piano.. and so could john.. and ringo lays it down smooth and steady.. no need for flash and crash when it's in the friggin pocket... wow i just realized i typed all of that in about ten seconds.. i was really upset..sorry :wink: i just feel the need to defend the geniuses without whom modern music wouldn't even exist in it's know form...and yeah that totally includes our beloved vanessa carlton.. who has said of her next album that she just wants it to sound like sgt pepper.. i mean come on..... ALL OF YOU NESSAHOLICS OUT THERE...QUICK..RUN,DON'T WALK TO YOUR NEAREST RECORD STORE (or just go through your parents music or something) AND GET A HOLD OF A BEATLES RECORD..ANY BEATLES RECORD...AND IF YOU CAN LISTEN TO ABBEY ROAD AND NOT FEEL SOMETHING CHECK YOUR PULSE YOU'RE PROBABLY DEAD...ooops.. :wink: sorry about that you guys didn't mean to go all postal....in short..too late... listen to the beatles..that is all

shine on

I might also remind you that Mr. Harrison was a decent sitar player as well.

justaboy23

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/weirdgillysong
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2003, 03:55:43 pm »
i weep for the future of rock and roll

i'm out
in this dream scene lost my rhyme scheme
won't you fall down on me sleeping
and i will carry you all the way

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2003, 04:05:22 pm »
So because someone doesn't like the Beatles, you weep for the future of rock and roll?  Opinions on bands are just that...opinions.  We're allowed to have them.  I'm sure there were plenty of people in the 60s who didn't like the Beatles either.  I know my parents were two of those people.  I understand that they touched lives or whatever, but not mine.  I don't like their music.  Never have, never will.  But that's just my opinion.
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

justaboy23

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2003, 05:49:51 pm »
hey seriously my beatle rantings are all totally tongue in cheek.. and i sure didn't mean to upset you if you look up in the link you'll find i say you like what you like.. and i believe that so it's cool ..don't dig the beatles.. i do and they have touched my life.. it's all about whatever makes you move you know....keep the peace with ya and don't let the man get ya down

shine on and love

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2003, 06:15:01 pm »
It's all good ;)
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
eek!
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2003, 01:26:09 pm »
The Beatles were an unprecedented phenomenon in musical history. They changed the music business forever. Hell, they changed society. No one has taken rock and roll farther than them. During their time, they were the popular equivalent of someone like NSYNC while being on THE cutting edge, and we all know that this will NEVER happen again. The biz is no longer the same. Pop stars could not care less about being innovative.
During their time(and they took months rather than years to make an album):
They were the first to demand to write all their own songs and did.
Very Well, I might add.
They were the first to use feedback on a pop song(I Feel Fine).
They were the first to use classical instruments in pop.
They were the first to close mike drums in the studio.
They were the first to play stadiums.

Rather than have this post be hundreds of pages, I'll stop there.
As far as what you like, that is an opinion, and there are lots of great musicians being mentioned here.  But The Beatles mark on both music and history is undeniable. 98% of what is out today will be forgotten,as sad as that is. There will always be great songs, but rock/pop as a creative medium is dead. Part of it is digital technology that is available to anyone, and the nails in the coffin include the public's willingness to embrace anything shoved down their throats.
There's no problem if the Beatles' music doesn't do anything for you. It's all opinion. Hell, it's 40 years old! But to say that they are overrated or no big deal is an admission that one doesn't know their musical history.

Peace, Dan

justaboy23

• View Profile
yes....
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2003, 01:55:57 pm »
to you sir...i say amen...

VanessaLover03

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GodMustHateMe003
    • View Profile
    • Email
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2003, 05:56:30 pm »
HELP! is my favorite song
A Very Proud NESSAholic and NESSAjedi PadVan,
Alex

NESSAholics forever!!!!

David Hart

the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2004, 07:54:25 pm »
I'm listening to the Revolver album right now. It is so genius; especially George's song "love you to" The fusion with the Indian raga is amazing.

snapple936

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snapple936
    • View Profile
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2004, 01:41:46 pm »
well i must say i like lennon's solo work better, but i do not really like the beatles. give me the stones anyday over the beatles!
:-)

and last year we watched "yellow submarine", and it was very special.

kelley
...i'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun, you know that only the good

Lizziely

the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 07:47:10 pm »
Wow ok old thread but... Being the HUGE Beatles fan that I am, I'd have to say that I can't pic ONE favorite Beatles song. I can't decide between Yesterday, Penny Lane, and Eleanor Rigby. For some reason I don't really like the song Yellow Submarine, but I love the movie.  :heart:

Si_duffers!

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - Simon_duffers@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2005, 11:10:29 pm »
There's no point arguing against the beatles you just can't win!

I prefer listening to the less publicised stuff as some of that gets worn out plus i prefer lennon to macartney most of the time
You say we're too young but maybe you're too old to remember...

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2005, 06:48:11 am »
The White Album ("The Beatles") is the top of the crop as far as I'm concerned.  It's the greatest single release of different styles spanning all of popular music, including heavy metal, a style that had really only that year become a factor.
Dustin

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Re: ......
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2005, 07:22:30 am »
Quote from: "justaboy23"
and nobody i repeat nobody can play slide guitar like mr. george harrison..

Eric Sardinas is orders of magnitude better than Harrison, technically. And there are many more.

I agree with what andrew said. As far as technical musicianship goes, they were strictly average at best.

It annoys me when people confuse the artistic greatness that they percieve in players or their band for technical greatness. You can write songs that a lot of people appreciate and still be a bad or just average musician. Kurt Cobain being a prime example.

In many ways it's easier to be a great artist than a great technical musician. The true greats are both at the same time, IMHO.

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
the beatles!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2005, 07:31:58 am »
Yes, it's just like the difference between getting all the notes right and making the audience feel it.  Listen to Led Zeppelin and all the notes Jimmy Page plain blows in a hard-and-fast solo (and you can't tell me they're all supposed to be like that) but then consider him as an artist who can really get people in a groove (regardless of the fact that he's been making tons of money doing it as well).
Dustin